Histamine Intolerance

Hi,

I have never had any problems eating what I want until about 3 months of living in the Philippines.  I started developing a rash, along with flushing up my chest, neck, onto my face; red, itchy eyes; runny nose, wheezing; GI issues; and fatigue and brain fog.

Turns out, just about every food except rice is very high in histamine. Seafood here is not iced down after catching, neither are meats.  Leaving these things amps up the histamine levels.  And, eating out, everything has MSG!!

Currently I am on a low histamine diet, and after a couple of weeks of careful diet, along with Benadryl and Pepcid, things are starting to improve. 

Thought I would give a heads up about this. Maybe it might help others.

Could this be connected to Scombroid poisoning?

Daughter is experiencing similar. Chicken is a big contributor, but many other things seem to be to blame as well. We discovered cold pressed extra virgin olive oil is great for her rashes. It is clearing after weeks of me and mom going nuts. Daughter did not care much. It was not very itchy and she did not have to see the rashes all over her own face. Never had this problem before and then suddenly something changed.

Sounds like Mahi-Mahi flush, to me...

I have stopped the seafood for now, hoping this flush will ease. Feels like I have eaten a Chinese buffet.

Many people in the Philippines seem to have allergies to food and other products (my daughter is allergic to latex).  -  I am not sure why it is so common.

Step's you can take, avoid food's that contribute to your reactions.

Get a allergy test done.

Make sure you carry anti-histamine tablets, they will make you a bit tired, but will relive the itching, red blots and swelling.

Treatment of food allergies that have potential to develop in to anaphylactic shock

Consult your doctor about treatment.

Of course avoidance is the best way to protect your self.
Carry antihistamine tablets  (Available over the counter at pharmacies).
Consult your doctor about carrying steroid tablets.
Consult your doctor and consider carrying an EpiPen  (I have not heard of them being readily available here in the Philippines, in Australia you can get them over the counter at a pharmacy (chemist) - About $80Aud with a 12 - 18 month shelf life  (if you buy one or two, check the expiry date on it before the purchase)

Remember that if you get an anaphylactic shock, you will die unless treated, as the air way swell's up and constricts/limits your ability to breath, through to the point of death.  CPR is next to useless as you cannot take in or exhale air to and from your lungs.  But it is still considered first aid treatment for anaphylactic shock.  But immediate transportation to a hospital is vital (I doubt the ambulance service in the Philippines, carries much more than anti-histamine tablets, if they have them at all.

This is not advice to your condition, as your condition needs to be diagnosed by a Dr.

I do hope that the actions you are now taking work, and your allergies go away.

PS my wife's allergy to shell fish is so bad that, I cannot even kiss her after I eat shell fish, until I have showered and washed my mouth out twice and flossed and brushed my teeth.  I kiss her after I eating without having done the above, she immediately reacts, with itching and localized swealing.

Yeah, I'd certainly be buying fish direct from the fish landing & being choosy - steer away from shellfish & the darker-fleshed fish.

It might be worth taking a look at a fasting mimicking diet - Dr Valter Longo has done a lot of research on how that resets various bodily functions, I believe mast cells & DAO (the stuff that breaks down histamine) is part of that.

A whole load of stuff, arthritis & diabetes, for instance has roots in/links to inflammation.

We were going yo buy salt the other day. It had the very strong odor of fabric softener on it. The vendor told us that he was pouring fabric softener on his hands to sanitize them and accidentally spilled some on the salt. Fabric softener is very toxic. It should not be used at all much less on the bare skin or anywhere near food.

That and things like it (and on a mass scale) probably have something to do with things.

Food, air and water is growing more toxic every day. If only people knew the extent...but then there is so much apathy that many would not care and would still use fabric softener as salad dressing.

pej1111 wrote:

Many people in the Philippines seem to have allergies to food and other products (my daughter is allergic to latex).  -  I am not sure why it is so common.

Step's you can take, avoid food's that contribute to your reactions.

Get a allergy test done.

Make sure you carry anti-histamine tablets, they will make you a bit tired, but will relive the itching, red blots and swelling.

Treatment of food allergies that have potential to develop in to anaphylactic shock

Consult your doctor about treatment.

Of course avoidance is the best way to protect your self.
Carry antihistamine tablets  (Available over the counter at pharmacies).
Consult your doctor about carrying steroid tablets.
Consult your doctor and consider carrying an EpiPen  (I have not heard of them being readily available here in the Philippines, in Australia you can get them over the counter at a pharmacy (chemist) - About $80Aud with a 12 - 18 month shelf life  (if you buy one or two, check the expiry date on it before the purchase)

Remember that if you get an anaphylactic shock, you will die unless treated, as the air way swell's up and constricts/limits your ability to breath, through to the point of death.  CPR is next to useless as you cannot take in or exhale air to and from your lungs.  But it is still considered first aid treatment for anaphylactic shock.  But immediate transportation to a hospital is vital (I doubt the ambulance service in the Philippines, carries much more than anti-histamine tablets, if they have them at all.

This is not advice to your condition, as your condition needs to be diagnosed by a Dr.

I do hope that the actions you are now taking work, and your allergies go away.

PS my wife's allergy to shell fish is so bad that, I cannot even kiss her after I eat shell fish, until I have showered and washed my mouth out twice and flossed and brushed my teeth.  I kiss her after I eating without having done the above, she immediately reacts, with itching and localized swealing.

moonunit0103 wrote:

Hi,

I have never had any problems eating what I want until about 3 months of living in the Philippines.  I started developing a rash, along with flushing up my chest, neck, onto my face; red, itchy eyes; runny nose, wheezing; GI issues; and fatigue and brain fog.

Turns out, just about every food except rice is very high in histamine. Seafood here is not iced down after catching, neither are meats.  Leaving these things amps up the histamine levels.  And, eating out, everything has MSG!!

Currently I am on a low histamine diet, and after a couple of weeks of careful diet, along with Benadryl and Pepcid, things are starting to improve. 

Thought I would give a heads up about this. Maybe it might help others.

Cetirizine hydrochloride, 10mg is very good for allergies. Half life about 8 hours. Now over the counter...

I ordered some on Amazon, it is on the way. I have been prescribed Prednisone, and have been taking OTCs for it.

Another note:. Lazada and Shopper are selling counterfeit products. I got some Fish Oil Capsules that advertised made in USA, but salmon was spelled "sal Mon", and I tried to contact the company in California, there was nothing listed.

BUYER BEWARE!!!

Fabric softener as a hand disinfectant?  Imagine where his hands have been?

Thanks for the head's up Moonunit. I was unfamiliar with the use of the term histamine with regard to foods. I have known it from having had allergies to things all my life especially certain pollens, animal dander, shellfish, dairy, beer, wine, aspirin and NSAIDS (instant asthma attack). All those things (especially pet dander) can give me a histamine response such as itchy hands, runny nose, sneezing, even wheezing.. so I'm very familiar with that aspect.

So with years of allergy problems that I have learned to cope with by avoiding the triggers, I am careful not to eat shellfish here or too much meat, dairy or seafood, and I don't drink alcohol. We also are picky eaters (organic, whole grains, some fish, lots of beans, veggies and fruits) and so far no problems at all but we do spend a lot on food as a result. And of course absolutely no pets in the house. I keep an inhaler handy but have only had to use it on a couple of occasions when in extremely smoggy air.

Many vegetables are either liberate histamine release from the Mast Cells, or are high in histamine themselves.  Beans, bananas, pineapple, and other fruits and vegetables are high in histamine.

Another issue is food storage and preparation.  Seafood and shellfish are typically not stored on ice in the boat or at the public markets, which increase histamine formation in the meat.  And once home, leftovers are stored on the table until the next meal.

We had turkey last Friday for my birthday.  I ate some, but did not feel too hot afterwards, unsure if it was MSG or if the bird had elevated histamine levels.  That bird remained at room temperature for the next 3 or 4 days while the family ate what was left with no ill effects.  No way I would eat it after it was first served!!!

I know it is a pain, but I am just eating chicken breast, hamburger patties, and pork tenderloin for meats, and rice and maybe some green leafy veggies.  And apples.  Citrus is on the NO EAT list.

moonunit0103 wrote:

I ordered some on Amazon, it is on the way. I have been prescribed Prednisone, and have been taking OTCs for it.

Another note:. Lazada and Shopper are selling counterfeit products. I got some Fish Oil Capsules that advertised made in USA, but salmon was spelled "sal Mon", and I tried to contact the company in California, there was nothing listed.

BUYER BEWARE!!!

I would sooner order from Amazon in the US than from Lazada or Alibaba. Just my two cents (having once ordered from Alibaba).

moonunit0103 wrote:

Many vegetables are either liberate histamine release from the Mast Cells, or are high in histamine themselves.  Beans, bananas, pineapple, and other fruits and vegetables are high in histamine.

Another issue is food storage and preparation.  Seafood and shellfish are typically not stored on ice in the boat or at the public markets, which increase histamine formation in the meat.  And once home, leftovers are stored on the table until the next meal.

We had turkey last Friday for my birthday.  I ate some, but did not feel too hot afterwards, unsure if it was MSG or if the bird had elevated histamine levels.  That bird remained at room temperature for the next 3 or 4 days while the family ate what was left with no ill effects.  No way I would eat it after it was first served!!!

I know it is a pain, but I am just eating chicken breast, hamburger patties, and pork tenderloin for meats, and rice and maybe some green leafy veggies.  And apples.  Citrus is on the NO EAT list.

I will spare you the details on the deal they made with Monsanto on the rice here.

Philippine Destiny wrote:
moonunit0103 wrote:

I will spare you the details on the deal they made with Monsanto on the rice here.

Genetically modified rice?

Monsanto, yikes!!  Genetically modified rice?

moonunit0103 wrote:

BUYER BEWARE!!!

Try purchasing them from reputable pharmacies such as Mercury Drug , Watsons and Southstar. I buy fish oil capsules and other supplements from S&R. They often carry Kirkland brands.

What is S&R?

moonunit0103 wrote:

Monsanto, yikes!!  Genetically modified rice?

Monsanto (now owned by Bayer) produces GMOs through their Seed and Genome division. Many consider it an unethical company, suing farmers to protect their intellectual property. It was sued with production of Agent Orange. The other 2 big ones in this area would be Dupont and Syngenta.

I´m sure you have eaten Kellogg´s or Frito Lay. They´re owned by Monsanto. Genetically modified corn? I wouldn´t doubt it.

robal

Monsanto developed the first Roundup Ready crops in 1996, with the introduction of genetically modified soybeans that are resistant to Roundup. These crops were developed to help farmers control weeds. Because the new crops are resistant to Roundup, the herbicide can be used in the fields to eliminate unwanted foliage. Current Roundup Ready crops include soy, corn, canola, alfalfa, cotton, and sorghum, with wheat under development.

Roundup Ready crop seeds have notoriously been referred to as "terminator seeds." This is because the crops produced from Roundup Ready seeds are sterile. Each year, farmers must purchase the most recent strain of seed from Monsanto. This means that farmers cannot reuse their best seed and are basically held hostage to buy Monsanto seeds from that point on. Also, the traditional seed supply is slowly becoming contaminated with GMO strains.

moonunit0103 wrote:

What is S&R?

S&R is a wholesale store much similar to Costco in the states. Like Costco, membership is required to shop there. They carry a few Kirkland brand products and products imported directly from the US.

they are sending us all to the showers this time

"Also, the traditional seed supply is slowly becoming contaminated with GMO strains."

That´s why the Global Seed Vault in Svalbard was built - to preserve the natural varieties of plants for future food security. If all the natural strains are contaminated with GMOs and eventually becoming sterile, the seed vault is there to secure and supply the original strain. GMOs are not permitted for import into the seed vault as governed by the Norwegian gov´t.

robal

robal wrote:

"Also, the traditional seed supply is slowly becoming contaminated with GMO strains."

That´s why the Global Seed Vault in Svalbard was built - to preserve the natural varieties of plants for future food security. If all the natural strains are contaminated with GMOs and eventually becoming sterile, the seed vault is there to secure and supply the original strain. GMOs are not permitted for import into the seed vault as governed by the Norwegian gov´t.

robal

to be used at a time when we are all gone