Help with Visa

I'm 67 years old. My comprehension skills aren't what they used to be.
Does anyone know if there is a service or an immigration lawyer that would handle all the visa work necessary to help us move to Germany?

There are many relocation consultants in all the major German cities - Google can find them for you.
What kind of visa are you planning to apply for?

In another post you asked about social insurances and I replied  (among other issues) in general terms about  German health insurance. Now that I know your age, I must add: You are beyond the age that can join the German public scheme health insurance - and the private scheme, where premiums reflect the actual cost risk you present to the insurer, get progressively more expensive with age and pre-existing conditions. Get professional assistance in selecting the right insurer and plan - and be prepared that it might cost far more than you can imagine!

Thank you!  Not sure which visa option to try yet.

Just out of curiosity, I entered your age (and some general assumptions, including no pre-existing conditions, minimum possible coverage and maxiumum co-payments) into the private health insurance portal https://krankenversicherung.check24.de/ … reingaben1 and got plans shown ranging from €700 - 1400/month.
It will be compulsory that you join one of these (or a more comprehensive and pricier alternative).

Wow. It is very strange to suddenly find out you are 67 and we've been trying to answer your questions about social contributions which include health care and retirement. Such a detail should be mentioned up front. But like Beppi mentioned, your options are limited at your age with healthcare. And getting into a retirement savings plan when one is already at retirement age makes no sense! You should be more concerned with making sure your American social security benefits get paid to a German bank account once you have one, or to be deposited in an American one and transferred as needed. I think there are many countries that like to attract retirees and have things set up to accommodate them but I know next to nothing about this in Germany. Probably more Germans  go elsewhere to warm countries like Spain to retire than foreigners come to Germany to do so.

And you are right that it will be good to find out about inheritance taxes at your age. If you are residing in Germany then I'm pretty certain that German inheritance taxes (Erbschaftsteuer)  will apply. But I am not sure if the location of the assets also matters. Unlike in America, one is not free on the first 11 million or so. I know it is very recommendable to have a will that is clear but handwritten and signed, best notarized but this is not required.

The amounts normally taxed will depend on the type of assets and who is inheriting.  For example a spouse will have a tax free amount of 500,000 Euros, a child 400,000 euros, nephews, nieces, siblings or friends just 20,000 euros. Money coming from life insurance is not included in these amounts; there is another tax free scale for that depending on relationship. Total amounts over these are taxed - but again the rates depend on the relationship. And am not sure if say any kids are not residing in Germany that if they are somehow exempt. Or possibly they might have US inheritance liability in addition. It might matter that an inheritance to a US resident comes from overseas and thus much lower levels might be tax free. Thus it might be worthwhile to clarify the US situation with a US lawyer before moving. And then if one of you dies in Germany you will likely need advice from a German lawyer as well. Whether you can find a US based lawyer familiar with German inheritance tax law is doubtful.

Such things come under the subject of estate planning and for people with millions, they should have things clarified beforehand. Most people only have a few hundred thousand  worth of assets and even in Germany, once it is distributed to a spouse, kids and grandkids then there will not be much if any tax due for them.

I am including a link to the Wikipedia page about German inheritance tax – but it is only in German, no English version available.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erbschaft … eutschland

I may add that under German inheritance rule, it is NOT POSSIBLE to completely disinherit a close relative like spouse or kids. They will always get a certain (but low) minimum percentage of your inheritance, which is called “Pflichtteil”. And if there is no will, everything is distributed among the close relatives with percentages determined by the law.
The exact details for your case can be calculated by a German lawyer or notary public.

To my (limited) knowledge, Germany does not have a visa type for non-EU retirees, unless they join relatives who already live in Germany.