Born in Vietnam in 1969 need birth certificate

Hello,
I am an American Citizen I was born to an active duty Amercan Father / Vietnamese Mother, in 1969. I would like to get a certified copy of my birth certificate. And currently reside in the United States. I am not sure what to do first.
Any suggestions? Please.

Thank you for your help.

Lovie C

Lovie_c wrote:

Hello,
I am an American Citizen I was born to an active duty Amercan Father / Vietnamese Mother, in 1969. I would like to get a certified copy of my birth certificate. And currently reside in the United States. I am not sure what to do first.
Any suggestions? Please.

Thank you for your help.

Lovie C

I hope someone knowledgeable helps you here.

Meanwhile, have you contacted the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi?

vn.usembassy. gov/u-s-citizen-services/acs-inquiry-form/

Thank you for your response. I have not, but I will. Thanks for the link.

Again, Thank you.
Lovie C

Lovie_c wrote:

Thank you for your response. I have not, but I will. Thanks for the link.

Again, Thank you.
Lovie C

Good luck to you!

Please come back here to the forum and let us know how things work out for you.

Someone else may have a similar question in the future, and you will be able to provide valuable and updated information as to how to negotiate the system here in Vietnam.

Cheers!

According to Decree No. 83/1988/ND-CP and Circular 12/1999/TT/BTP, to re-register a birth certificate, you must know the exact location where your original certificate was filed, and your place of residence before leaving the country. The People's Committee at the province where you were born and lived up until the time of your exit is the authority to whom you submit the request.

You also need to prove that you were indeed born and registered at that province.  Before 1975, Sổ Gia Đình served as such legal proof.

I'm pretty certain you don't have any legal document with you when you left the country, therefore, two people who were presented at the time of your birth or who knew that you were born to your mother may provide a testimony for this fact.  In your case, elderly relatives or neighbours would be the perfect witnesses.

In recent years, there have been agencies in Saigon who handle the entire business for you.  Last year, I had a conversation with a young lady who quit the real estate business to work for one of those agencies.  She told me that her office was very successful in the endeavour as long as the clients provided as many pertinent information as possible.  I'm sorry I didn't think of asking for her contact number.

Lovie_c wrote:

Hello,

It wouldn't hurt to post this same question in the "Expats in Ho Chi Minh City " group of Facebook. It has a wider reach than expat.com and many Vietnamese businesses supporting expats and foreigners listen in.

Many Translation and service company help you to do it. You don't have to worry, contact them. They will give you the cost.