Riviera Nayarit

Hi folks.  My wife and I will be spending two weeks in San Pancho (San Francisco) in just a few days.  We are looking at the Riviera Nayarit as a place to live about six months out of the year.  We're looking for a smaller community with limited or no resorts and where the Mexican culture remains strong, i.e., smaller tourist loads.  We would also like there to be a Canadian and/or American expat community.

We are renting a car so that we can explore the area in greater detail.  Part of that exploration will be looking for a place to rent.  What are your thoughts about how to go about doing this?  What might the best way to look for a rental--Airbnb, VRBO or a local real estate agent?

We would like to meet expats in the area if someone is willing.  Thanks so much.
Phil

pgarrod711 wrote:

Hi folks.  My wife and I will be spending two weeks in San Pancho (San Francisco) in just a few days.  We are looking at the Riviera Nayarit as a place to live about six months out of the year.  We're looking for a smaller community with limited or no resorts and where the Mexican culture remains strong, i.e., smaller tourist loads.  We would also like there to be a Canadian and/or American expat community.

We are renting a car so that we can explore the area in greater detail.  Part of that exploration will be looking for a place to rent.  What are your thoughts about how to go about doing this?  What might the best way to look for a rental--Airbnb, VRBO or a local real estate agent?

We would like to meet expats in the area if someone is willing.  Thanks so much.
Phil

hello pgarrod711,

Start by reading this and keeping track of the current situation.
http://www.lapoliticaeslapolitica.com/2 … ight.html.

I would not be considering moving there currently.

where ever you decide to go, be aware that the idea of ex-pat communities and low or non-tourist are in conflict, so you would probably want to be somewhere where the culture is strong close to somewhere an ex-pat community exists. There is an ex-pat who lives in that area, perhaps he will see the post and respond with real-time information.

Hi Travellight.  Thank you for responding.  I followed the link to the blog but did not find any current information that would dissuade me from looking at the Riviera Nayarit as a place to spend a few months a year.  The last post related to Nayarit was several months ago and it covered a civil lawsuit.  There was a post in 2018 about violence between drug gangs in Tepic.  I not sure I understand your rationale for not moving there.  Would you please clarify?  Again, thank you for your response.