Job Opportunities

Hi there

My husband and I, together with our three children would like to relocate to Ireland from South Africa. We both did the TEFL course, I have a Bcom degree and my husband has farming experience tise. Where can we start looking for a job for both of us?

Thank you

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm not sure what value your TEFL qualifications will have in a country where English is the native language.  However, job opportunities are directly linked to your ability to get a Work Permit for the profession/role you wish to follow; basically, if you don't qualify for a work permit, then you will not be able to work in Ireland.  At the top of this forum is a sticky post directly related to this; I'd recommend that you read it and follow the link inside it.

Once you've read that, if you have any further specific questions, then please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you so much for the reply.

I have followed the links in the sticky note. I have a Bcom degree in Hospitality Management and like I said previously, my husband was a manager at a big chicken farm in SA. Where could we possibly start looking for jobs? Thanks Cynic

Nicolette_Bain wrote:

I have followed the links in the sticky note. I have a Bcom degree in Hospitality Management and like I said previously, my husband was a manager at a big chicken farm in SA. Where could we possibly start looking for jobs? Thanks Cynic

For hospitality jobs, you could look HERE

Hi again,

The link will have told you if you have any chance at all of getting a work permit in Ireland; which employment category skill do you think are relevant to your experience and probably more importantly qualifications?  I've just checked it myself and to be honest, both you and your husband's professions appear in the ineligible list, so I would say you both have no chance of getting a job in Ireland doing this work.  Even if you could find a job, you would not get the work permit necessary to enable you to live in Ireland.

So what can you do?  Try using existing on-line professional development, i.e. LinkedIn, reach out to your colleagues and peers in Ireland and ask them what's available, maybe your skills/qualifications port over to a different career path which would be eligible for a work permit.

I wish you both the best of luck in your journey.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team