Moving to Malta on 24.5k per annum

Hello there,

I will be moving to Malta in the coming months on 24.5k gross per annum. I am 25, single and I am planning to share a flat in Msida, Gzira, Pieta, Sliema, St Julians, Floriana, Ta' Xibex or maybe Hamrun.

I like to eat outside and go out occasionally. Let's say twice a week.
I am not planning to buy a car or a scooter in short term.
I would like to go for short trips from time to time around Europe.
I would also like to save some money.

Is it realistic to live that kind of a life with the amount I will be earning?

Thanks a lot.

Hi Witts,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Maybe theses threads can give you an idea about the cost of living in Malta.

https://www.expat.com/forum/341-22-cost … malta.html

on a flat share yeah thats a good salary for 1

so 1500 after tax, if you want to live alone in the areas you seek you can find app for you alone starting at around 600+ but do not expect the place to be decent for that price. Eating out well, you won´t be doing that a lot on your wages. a 13 km commute to work can take you 2-3 h one way on public transport.  Food i found more expensive than in Germany, UK or Ireland. You can not drink the water, so you have to buy water. Recently they linked urinal cancer to the "drinking water" . you can pay for a room anything between 250 and 1000. Depends on the area and "standard" so a tini room with great grandmothers furniture, curtains and pictures and her old Matreis you can rent for 250 -500. For a decent size room and furniture between 1980 -2000 you can rent for 350 - 7000, a  modern room in Sliema 600 -1200.

https://www.maltaproperty.com/en/produc … sliema.htm

Best to ignore any property website, they dont maintain them, they only put click bait properties there then try to scam you.

Literally 100% of rental agencies in Malta do this.

godbyemalta :

so 1500 after tax, if you want to live alone in the areas you seek you can find app for you alone starting at around 600+ but do not expect the place to be decent for that price. Eating out well, you won´t be doing that a lot on your wages. a 13 km commute to work can take you 2-3 h one way on public transport.  Food i found more expensive than in Germany, UK or Ireland. You can not drink the water, so you have to buy water. Recently they linked urinal cancer to the "drinking water" . you can pay for a room anything between 250 and 1000. Depends on the area and "standard" so a tini room with great grandmothers furniture, curtains and pictures and her old Matreis you can rent for 250 -500. For a decent size room and furniture between 1980 -2000 you can rent for 350 - 7000, a  modern room in Sliema 600 -1200.

Having recently come back from visiting the UK I did not find prices to be that different.
With regards to purchasing bottle water that’s very cheap here compared to the UK.

Thanks Volcane for this ,So what is the best way to find rentals?

there are facebook groups - and you'll just have to ask agents, point i am making is dont budget based on any website information since they put lower than realistic prices on, trust only what they show you on the day