Moving to Manila - Advise

Hi,
Am moving to Manila in early July.
Would like to know the following:
1. Am planning to buy a grill here in USA and bring it there. IS Charcoal better or Gas. is propane gas easily available in Manila?
2. Any maid agency numbers or referrals? We would be needing one live in from August.
3. Any summer acitvity camp like music classes, Tennis classes, theater etc in makati?
4. Any suggestions of things which I should get from USA, which are not easily available or very expensive in Manila

Cheers

Sorry if this is a double post.

1) I see propane grills at ACE hardware so assume they have propane. But if your in a condo, then cant have a grill. Only a house.  Also, its either hot or rainy and in Manila, polluted air so consider whether you will actually use it.

2) Maid agencies are everywhere. Will you work for a large company? If so, colleagues will refer a maid. Dont worry about it. My company has internal web that posts these things and could refer as maids/drivers come up every week.

3) In Makati, lots of activities. But its hot and smoggy so think tennis is limited for early mornings. That being said, in Bonafacio, every evening hordes of runners going around the mall.

4) Phils is 220 volt so bring dual volt (110-240) or a step up transformer. They sell them in Ace so no worries. Electronics are much cheaper in US.  Buy your big screen LED in US for a lot less, and then can buy the set up.

5) Also, go to Walmart and buy the big bottles of aspirin, vitamins and other stuff that is a lot cheaper in US (also cold medicines) just check expiry.  I buy a lot of toughpaste and deorderant every time I go back to Hawaii.

BTW, are you Japanese American (Tushima?).  I am.  But anyway, if so, consider Rockwell as lots of Japanese and Koreans and have more foodstuffs. I live in Bonafacio which is also nice.

If you work for a MDB or diplomat, consider bringing in your car as its tax free and lots cheaper.

Good luck

Don

Hi Tushima,

1. Grill - it's available here in Makati, u can find it in Handyman or Ace Hardware. But it depends on you if you have any specific brand from USA to bring here. If you will be living in condo, better use gas or propane, though charcoal is available too

2. Maid - better get from referrals, i strongly discourage from agency

3. Music classes - try the Ryan Cayabyab Studio, their phone number is 843-2874

4. Bring some of your favorite processed food.

Goodluck:)

Thanks for your advise. Will get the propane gas grill...yes, we are getting our LED TV....no luck with the car as the taxes are too high to get it there.

Thanks .
I also need to ask about Mobile phones.
I know CDMA does not work in Manila.

Is it advisable to get dual/triband phones from USA to Manila?
I heard that iphone4 even if it not tied to a contract and it jailbroken, may not work so it is best to buy factory unloecked from Singapore hence I dropped that idea...
Please advise on the mobile phone.

iPhones are very close to same price as elsewhere, if you get the standard contract.  You can also buy an unlocked one in Singapore, just dont buy it at Simlim, try Funan Electronic Mall or just get at the airport.

If you already have the iphone, you may be able to unlock. Or just get a regular phone.  Mobile phone services are pretty competitive so dont worry about it.

Don

Tushima

Bring lots of the follwing:

- good spices,
- home decorative stuff you can put in a 20 x 20 x 20 box,
- shoes,
- summer clothes,
- over-the-counter medicine,
- soaps/shampoos/conditioner,
- kitchen stuff (pots, pans, plates, cutleries, teppan plate, grill plate etc)...
- beddings

Why would you bring so much when you can buy it in PH, well the answer is, its expensive to buy things with quality in this country.

To get the shopping done cheaper...go to these stores :

- Home Goods homegoods.com/locator/
- Grocery Outlet groceryoutlet.com/default/Suppliers/TheStores.aspx
- Walmart

as most probably the stuff you love the most are very expensive in the Philippines.

Mobile phones

Triband for mobile phones or get those unrestricted smart phones. If you like to call USA from the Philippines, you can sign up for Vonage and bring the device here.. Few months ago, Dell launch the new smart phones, I think the price tag was Php 28,000

For US and long distance call

You can also sign up for Vonage's unlimited call to the Philippines, US and several countries, $65 per month..because you can call any number in Ph and its cheaper that way rather than signing up a local provider.

What not to bring

- any kind of electronical items from US, though it may work in the beginning but your gadgets do not last longer than it should

- no big items like furnitures, grills, sofa/bed etc

tushima wrote:

Thanks .
I also need to ask about Mobile phones.
I know CDMA does not work in Manila.

Is it advisable to get dual/triband phones from USA to Manila?
I heard that iphone4 even if it not tied to a contract and it jailbroken, may not work so it is best to buy factory unloecked from Singapore hence I dropped that idea...
Please advise on the mobile phone.

If I am not wrong, I guess CDMA phones work in Manila.. the BPE product of Bayan Telecom. Dont know about the other operators.

Hi Tushima,
You can buy good quality things here in PH, US brands are available in most reputable  Shopping malls,sounds expensive but when you converted it to dollars there's only a little mark up. Depends how long you stay in PH, but since your moving for good, just your valuable things, gadgets you can buy AVR for that. Its all year round summer here, so some activities you like you can definitely find it here especially in Makati. I can send you later the reputable agency for maids. I cant find good bagel here in PH though..I make it my own. Have fun in Ph and Welcome. Are you a hockey fan or American football fan?

Thanks ..this was very useful....was already planning to get some stock of the above...but now..I guess I will shop more from here!!
Vonage is a good idea...we have that here as well...

I am surprised about the medicines though....Will do some bulk shopping from BJ's and costco

am getting the sheet sets as I would imagine they may not be available there...

Not so looking forward to the weather:(
The kids are already through with their admission in ISM so atleast something is taken care of.

Thanks again for the above pointers!!
I also bought some beach umbrellas and beach tents....will they be useful there?

Beach gear is always useful. In Luzon, you can go south to Batangas (Alinao) and learn how to scuba (if you dont know already). About 2-3 hour drive and its cheap. Actually, not sure if there are many sandy beaches but the water is clear which is nice given its proximity to Manila.

If you go to Palawan/Boaracay, beaches are much nicer but you will be in a resort so no need to bring all the stuff.

If your company is paying for shipping, then buy all you can in US.  Much better selection, quality and cheaper.  Its a hassle to shop in Manila with traffic and all.

Next is to find a place to live.  Good luck.

Actually, if you are buying a US brand, I have found its much more expensive. If you can find an equivalent local brand, then thats best. But some really are not comparable given the influx of really poor quality Chinese goods.  Also, the USD has weakened a lot against the Peso, so US products have increased by 20% or more.

honeyclotte wrote:

Hi Tushima,
You can buy good quality things here in PH, US brands are available in most reputable  Shopping malls,sounds expensive but when you converted it to dollars there's only a little mark up. Depends how long you stay in PH, but since your moving for good, just your valuable things, gadgets you can buy AVR for that. Its all year round summer here, so some activities you like you can definitely find it here especially in Makati. I can send you later the reputable agency for maids. I cant find good bagel here in PH though..I make it my own. Have fun in Ph and Welcome. Are you a hockey fan or American football fan?

tushima wrote:

Hi,
Am moving to Manila in early July.
Would like to know the following:
1. Am planning to buy a grill here in USA and bring it there. IS Charcoal better or Gas. is propane gas easily available in Manila?
2. Any maid agency numbers or referrals? We would be needing one live in from August.
3. Any summer acitvity camp like music classes, Tennis classes, theater etc in makati?
4. Any suggestions of things which I should get from USA, which are not easily available or very expensive in Manila

Cheers

Hello tushima,

Here are my suggestions
1. About bringing a grill:  If you really like grilling, better buy the equipment here.  Shipping one from the US is expensive, and depending on your method of shipping, it might arrive a month or more after you've shipped it. 

If you're going to live in a single detached house, I doubt if the homeowners' association would forbid you to do some backyard grilling.  But if you live in a condo, you'll have to check with the building management whether you can actually use a grill at the balcony or patio. 

It's very hot in the Philippines. If you're in the city, it's hard to do outdoor cooking because of the heat.  But places like Tagaytay, where it's cool and windy, is ideal.

One more thing: tender cuts of beef are expensive.

2. About maid agency:  In addition to the agency fee and maid's salary, these are very important things to ask:
a.  does the agency fee already include medical tests (i.e. tuberculosis, hepatitis, etc.)
b.  if we don't get along with the maid, are there extra fees for replacement?
c.  what type of clearances (police clearance, National Bureau of Investigation clearance, barangay clearance, etc.) are included in the fee?

Referrals are tricky.  A "safe" maid from a referral is someone who is a daughter, sister, or mother of a friend's trusted maid.       

3.  About summer activities: Is it for your kids, or for you?  June is generally the start of classes here in the Philippines.  Not sure whether you will find summer camps at this time.  Music classes are available throughout the year though, usually on a one-on-one.  I used to go to Yamaha School of Music where I learned to play electronic organ. 

Back in the US, it was easy to find a playgroup or sched a playdate with a mom.  But difficult here because moms here are usually working moms. 

4.  Things at the top of my mind to get in the US:
Neosporin
Hydrocortisone (expensive here)
Kindle (so you won't have to wait for books to be shipped)
Roomba (kinda dusty in the Philippines; You'll need to buy here a voltage transformer before you plug your Roomba).

Good luck.

Yupe get those Costco pain killers, cold medicines, cough medicines.. I know lots of newcomers, due to the dusts, have been sick in the first few weeks of arrival...

But if you are exposed to extreme weather like me...I think you can handle it...

I bought lots of bed sheets in Burlington Coat Factory store, they have lots of branded 500 thread count linens...pricing from $10 to $30.. The stores in Manila sells very pricey bed sheets for its low quality. Even a shampoo you can buy for $1 in a 99 cent store, selling price in Manila is more than $3

Umbrellas and beach tents you can buy that in ACE here or other stores. What you need to buy are the beach gears because its priced x 2 or x 3.

As a rule of thumb, things that are very ordinary in the US is equivalent to "luxurious" items in the Philippines. Its priced x 2 or x 3 plus 50% tax.

tushima wrote:

I am surprised about the medicines though....Will do some bulk shopping from BJ's and costco

am getting the sheet sets as I would imagine they may not be available there...

Not so looking forward to the weather:(
The kids are already through with their admission in ISM so atleast something is taken care of.

I also bought some beach umbrellas and beach tents....will they be useful there?

I know there will be a lot of flak from people saying to buy local products as much cheaper, but as a newcomer myself, its just more comfortable to have familiar products. Plus in your first month, will have enough stress from trying to find a place to live, transport, where to shop, etc.

After about 6 months, will find comparable items and life will be easier, especially if you have a maid to take care of mundane tasks.  Enjoy your time in the Phils.

A lot of people forgot that we now live in 'Globalized' world. Filipinos think that we in the US have loads of 'Made in USA' when the truth is we have lots of 'Made in China' and 'Made in Guatemala' etc..

The only good thing is what is discounted sale is really discounted sale. I bought lots of mountaineering gears in USA because I felt traumatized to see the prices in many Sports stores in Manila. Where does the business men get their prices from ? China is even closer to Manila but the prices are too exorbitant.

dhnindc wrote:

I know there will be a lot of flak from people saying to buy local products as much cheaper, but as a newcomer myself, its just more comfortable to have familiar products. Plus in your first month, will have enough stress from trying to find a place to live, transport, where to shop, etc.

After about 6 months, will find comparable items and life will be easier, especially if you have a maid to take care of mundane tasks.  Enjoy your time in the Phils.

Baby stuff / children's are expensive here, especially toys.  2x or more the price in the US.  For example, my son's Fisher Price Stride-to-Ride Lion: I owned one before I went here.  I bought it in the US on sale for $25, regular price is $40. But in the Philippines, it's PhP5,000. More than $100!  Anatex Roller Coater Bead Maze (a toy that has bead that you slide along a wire) sells for less than $40 at amazon.  Here, it's at least PhP4,000 (close to $90!). 

All-cotton shirts for children are expensive here.  "Sales" here are not the same as in the US.  Discounts are just up to 10%.  Better get shirts several sizes up on sale at Carter's.

I would have to agree with you dhnindc. 

I don't know if it's just me, but I noticed that Dove soap here is different than the one in the US.  I'm not talking about the ones here being smaller (and a lot of US brand products are sold in reduced sizes here), but I found that they're kinda harder too. Size-wise, they're probably same priced, but different quality.

dhnindc wrote:

Actually, if you are buying a US brand, I have found its much more expensive. If you can find an equivalent local brand, then thats best. But some really are not comparable given the influx of really poor quality Chinese goods.  Also, the USD has weakened a lot against the Peso, so US products have increased by 20% or more.

honeyclotte wrote:

Hi Tushima,

thanks everyone.....I am all set for shopping now...
We plan to take up a house in one of the villages so grill shud be fine.
I was thinking cotton would have been cheaper there...but looks like from your postings that I should buy summer clothes from here as well.
Thanks

Once in a while, I would ask my aunt in the US to ship to me certain items.  She could easily find at Costco or Target my favorite brand of soaps, lotions and other personal items.  But some book titles are hard to find.  So I order them online and have them sent to her, which she then ships together with other items.

But I found that when I open an online account from here, my credit card gets rejected, even if it's a US credit card, and even if they're going to be shipped to my billing address. (The two sites that rejected my card were Babies R Us and OshKosh.) The order would go through initially, but then, I'd receive an email saying that the company I ordered from could not process the order.  I guess some companies don't process orders placed from the Philippines.

But my amazon orders go through without a problem, and so do Harry and David's and Hannah Anderssen.  I'm guessing (and it's just a guess) that the common denominator is that I've had accounts and placed orders with these companies for years.       

Online sites are also convenient in sending gifts to friends and family in the states, especially for Christmas and other special occasions like birthdays and baby showers. 

So, while you're still in the US, may I suggest you open an account with amazon, if you haven't already.  And at least update your info with the online store accounts you regularly order from.

OTC meds that I wasn't able to find here are Nyquil and Tylenol PM.

Try out a few earplugs.  There are less selections here in the Philippines than in the US.  Get ones that are most comfortable for you and the kids.

Hi thank u all for the usefulninformation....I have asked this before also but want to confirm again...I have currently cdma phones smart phones tied to a carrier..in will be cancelling my contract and getting them unlocked.

Wanted to know if theybwudbactually work in Manila...these are LG Ally.

I had read that most carriers are GSM, but some CDMAs will work.  Worst case is you unlock and buy a prepaid card at the airport when you land (300p) and try it.

Its easy to get a mobile. Globe and Star are the 2 big carriers. If you or your spouse work, your company will probably have a plan.

You wouldn't really know whether your phone can be unlocked / turned into an open line until after you've brought it to a store that does this service.  Back in 2008 when we first arrived, we brought our phones (these were provided by AT&T) to 2 different shops to get them unlocked, but they couldn't unlock them.

If you are able to unlock it, your carrier option might be limited.

Top 3 mobile carriers are Sun, Globe, and Smart.  There are many service plans to choose from that would suit your needs.  (My husband and I both use the same carrier with unlimited mobile-to-mobile calls and text messages (just PhP350 for each phone).)  Some plans provide a free phone, or you could upgrade for an extra fee. 

If you apply personally for a "post-paid" account, the carrier might ask for ID's and proof of income or a credit card.  At the carrier we applied for (I don't know whether this is the same with all carriers), they didn't accept W2s or US payslips or US-based credit cards. So we had to give them a PhP6000 bond which we got back as partial credits to our bill within a 2-year period.       

The main difference between US carriers and Philippine carriers: with Philippine carriers, you don't get charged for incoming calls and text.  Only for calls or text you initiated.

I use Globe.  All they asked for was my company ID, my passport, and a credit card to automatically bill.  It took a few months to actually get the bill payment to work. No problems with service.  Can look up their plans on the web.

Also received a free phone - the Nokia X3 which is the touchscreen version.

Talking about credit cards.  Will you be paid in USD or peso?  You can open a USD and peso account at Citibank.  For credit cards, Citi offers a visa, which is convenient to make payments.  MEtrobank offers a USD mastercard so if your paid in USD and make purchases in currencies other than peso, exchange basis is better. Also, maintain bank accounts and credit cards in US to facilitate purchases on the internet. There is a lot of stuff you will by online as its cheaper (even with shipping and customs) or you cant find it locally.

dhnindc wrote:

There is a lot of stuff you will by online as its cheaper (even with shipping and customs) or you cant find it locally.

This is true. 

And as much as you can, avoid using your US based credit card for purchases here in the Philippines.  When I didn't have yet a Philippine credit card, I used my US based one for groceries and gym memberships, and they charged me an additional 3% of my purchases, international transaction service fees, plus they used an exchange rate lower than the existing rates.  Apply for a Philippine credit card when you can and use that here.

But use your US credit card for purchases with US online retail shops. So far, I haven't been charged additional fees for making the purchase from here.  But before you come here, do update your account info with the online stores you plan to purchase from.

Paypal and Googlepay are common payments methods as well.

Thanks...Great advise on the credit cards..Thanks

How do you get your US credit cards to work...I ws wondering abt that....Last time we moved...we could not do any online US shopping for the same reason...
As we have Bank of America, once you get the address changed to a outside US one...one cannot do online shopping as all verify with the billing address...so how do u do this?

Well, first is to see if you have relatives in US you can use their mailing address.  Then on BoA, use the electronic statement option so that they do not mail any statements.  Also, may have to call BoA to tell them you will be travelling in Phils as they tend to block a lot of credit card users outside of US. I assume you already have electronic banking to pay for everything.  Shipping address that is different from billing is fine. Just see if shipper will say its a gift.  Duty is 20% including shipping.

Set up your wire transfers. B0A is rather complicated if I remember, need to call in with codes and all.  Maybe it has changed. I use Citibank and their ebank is much simpler, just have an account in US and open one in Phils and transfers are quick, but they charge $10 online up to $3k or $15 at the branch.

Lastly, its probably wise not to have regular mail (especially bank statements) mailed to the Philippines as the postal system sucks and worst you may have identity theft. If your company has secured postal delivery, then its ok. My company has a secured post delivery at customs so never goes thru Phils postal service.  As advice, would just recommend all mail go to your office and not home. Also, most locals use courier service to pay bills and such.

tushima wrote:

How do you get your US credit cards to work...I ws wondering abt that....Last time we moved...we could not do any online US shopping for the same reason...
As we have Bank of America, once you get the address changed to a outside US one...one cannot do online shopping as all verify with the billing address...so how do u do this?

Hi Tushima,

Here is what I did with regards to credit cards and bank accounts.

I changed billing and mailing addresses of credit cards and bank statements to a relative's in the US.  I use online banking, and changed statement preference to electronic / paper less.  I can still view the statements as if they were on paper and then print them for my records from here.

I applied for E-billing, and cancelled paper statements / went paper less for credit cards.  I could see all the statements from the online banking site, and paid balances online.  (If you're going to do the same, I would suggest using a secure connection (not free wi-fis) when accessing accounts, put very strong passwords on all your wireless routers, and always update your anti-virus / internet security software.)

Online shopping with some sites went through, others didn't.  Amazon, Harry and David's, Hanna Anderssen went through.  Babies R Us, OshKosh / Carter's didn't.  I'm guessing that the reason why the first three worked is I've had active accounts with them for years, or they have laxer policies.

tushima wrote:

thanks everyone.....I am all set for shopping now...
We plan to take up a house in one of the villages so grill shud be fine.
I was thinking cotton would have been cheaper there...but looks like from your postings that I should buy summer clothes from here as well.
Thanks

Not just summer clothes, but other cotton items too, such as cotton underwear.  You might want to get extra pieces of your favorite / preferred brand as replacements for ones that get lost in the wash / worn out.

welcome to the Philippines! for whatever reason you have for moving here, we welcome you with joy and gladness! it seemed like most of your inquiries were properly and accurately answered filamericanmom. Kudos to you filamericanmom for providing such detailed information.
Let me just add some more information and we will continue as we go along. Are you sending your household stuff through a container? Are you using PRA visa?

1. if you have a big chunk of investment money in the US bank, try to start transferring them through BPI> There are BPI remittance centers all over the place. Where are you abased at? You simply have to apply online, and let us know where you intend to stay so we can direct you to the nearest branch.
2. for tax purposes: we are now required to submit and fill up FBAR form to reflect any money we have here in the local bank with at least $10000 or converted to pesos with equivalent amount.
3. once you've set up your bpi bank account, you can initiate transfer from here. Let me know if this is what you want to do so I can give specific details on how to go about it.
4. Our investments here can range from 6%, 14 to 26% depending on your appetite for risks. We have been enjoying all of those rates of returns on our investments through the local bank and insurance companies.
5. kitchen items to consider:

kitchen aid mixer if you love to bake
   vitamix mixer if you love fruit and veggie shakes
   juicer if you care for your health and you would love to serve freshly juiced veggies and fruits
   good set of knives, silver wares, plates, serving dishes, serving utensils, baking stuff
  good quality set of teflon cookware
6. electronic gadgets
   bring your own laptop
   cell phones - make sure it can be unlocked. i bought an at&t phone from target for I think $50, just ask the customer agent if that is the one that you can bring abroad. or you might be able to use what you have right now
   printer- printers here are cheap if you like canon with continous ink system

7,FOOD: almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, dried fruits like apricots, dates, prunes, anything that you cannot live without :)
they have cafe d' vita here, but expensive also.
8. clothes: i agree with filamerican mom, bring cotton type of clothes, buy your favorite clothes just to make sure
9. credit card" that is true, we cannot use our us cards to purchase online. you can use it to purchase but you will be hit with fees and conversion losses. it will take awhile before you will be granted a credit card. I don't know how filamericanmom was able to get hers so quickly. It took us a year to get one.
10. mailing: forget about sending mail here, it will take forever if not, you will not receive anything.
11.OTC meds: if you have kids, I don't normally recommend any cough syrup for kids, but if you are the type that you want that, bring your OTC drugs like cough syrup, tums, pepto bismo(they don't have this here), allergy,pain meds
12. bring supplies of antibiotic creme and antibiotic gel.

let us know if you need help in finding a house, once you're settled, we will help you find a trustworthy helper and driver.

hope that helps a bit!
pinaymentor

Enjoy your stay in Manila and may you reach the purpose of coming to Manila. God be with you. Love to have vacation in cagayan de oro for water rafting and zipline, it is fun.

tushima wrote:

Thanks for your advise. Will get the propane gas grill...yes, we are getting our LED TV....no luck with the car as the taxes are too high to get it there.

Regarding the LED TV, unless you already have one that you've been using for some time, do not get a new one for bringing here.  Better to get a new one from here in the Philippines for several reasons.

1. Appliances usually don't have warranty coverage when brought to another country.

2. Voltage here is 220, as compared to the US's 110.  You'd have to buy a converter / transformer to use your TV.  The higher the wattage, the bigger (and uglier, i.e. less inconspicuous) and more expensive the converter.  Imagine if you have this scenario: If you bring in your 110v tv, and the tv area / den has a set up where the tv can be mounted on the wall, and the outlet is nicely hidden at the back of the tv so you can't see the wires, you won't be able to take advantage of the set up.  You'd have your wire go hanging from the tv, going to the bulky converter, which then has a wire going up to the outlet.

3. Converters / transformers, when used often, don't last very long. They use up electricity too.  And you have to remember to unplug them after using, as these could short circuit and cause a fire.  True Recent Experience:  I have a transformer for my treadmill (which I actually bought here, but has 110 voltage because it's imported from the US). It's big - about half the size of a tool box, and heavy. I bought the treadmill and transformer together 6 months ago.  When I plugged it in this morning, I noticed that the output meter needle on the transformer was quivering.  I peeked inside through the vents on the side, and I could see sparks inside the transformer box, and I haven't even turned on the treadmill. So, I can't use my treadmill until after I've bought a new transformer. :(   

4. If you need an extension wire from the converter / transformer to the outlet, you can buy it from here.  But the extension wire from your 110 voltage tv to the converter must be for 110 voltage. If you're bringing your 110 voltage tv, bring also extension wires, and mark / label them.

5. I don't know whether peripherals, like DVD players that are 220 voltage would work for 110 voltage tv.  Haven't had experience on this one yet.  You can do some research on it, if you like.  If 220 won't work with 110, then I guess you'll have to get bring your 110 voltage DVD player from the states too.  And you'll have to get a converter for that too.  Don't know if cable boxes from cable / satellite providers here would work with 110v tv.

6. I would suggest buying the converter from here in the Philippines.  For some reason, the one that I bought from the US didn't work here.  Can't return it. :(

honeyclotte wrote:

You can buy good quality things here in PH, US brands are available in most reputable  Shopping malls,sounds expensive but when you converted it to dollars there's only a little mark up.

The item that I could think of that has a "little" mark up is candies / chocolate bars.  Sure, they are US brands, like M&M's, KitKat, Snickers, etc. But on the label, they're actually manufactured / imported from Southeast Asian countries, not directly from the US.  They taste different.

I brought over my 60 plasma, no problems.  Big screen tvs are much cheaper and the selection is a lot better in US than Phils.  If you have your moving expenses covered, then no problem having it shipped over.  Can buy transformer at Ace in Manila and still be a lot better off in terms of dollars and quality.

If you prefer a 42", can by in Singapore and check in as excess baggage. Lots of Pinoys do that as well as again its much cheaper outside of Phils.  Dont buy any electronics in Phils is my humble opinion.

For treadmills, my condo has transformers on all of their treadmills, ellypticals and etc. They are on all day so assume they have no problems. Some of the older condos have problems with power surges, but modern transformers should have the sureg protector. Turning it off when not in use is good advice.

FilAmericanMom wrote:
tushima wrote:

Regarding the LED TV, unless you already have one that you've been using for some time, do not get a new one for bringing here.  Better to get a new one from here in the Philippines for several reasons.

1. Appliances usually don't have warranty coverage when brought to another country.

2. Voltage here is 220, as compared to the US's 110.  You'd have to buy a converter / transformer to use your TV.  The higher the wattage, the bigger (and uglier, i.e. less inconspicuous) and more expensive the converter.  Imagine if you have this scenario: If you bring in your 110v tv, and the tv area / den has a set up where the tv can be mounted on the wall, and the outlet is nicely hidden at the back of the tv so you can't see the wires, you won't be able to take advantage of the set up.  You'd have your wire go hanging from the tv, going to the bulky converter, which then has a wire going up to the outlet.

3. Converters / transformers, when used often, don't last very long. They use up electricity too.  And you have to remember to unplug them after using, as these could short circuit and cause a fire.  True Recent Experience:  I have a transformer for my treadmill (which I actually bought here, but has 110 voltage because it's imported from the US). It's big - about half the size of a tool box, and heavy. I bought the treadmill and transformer together 6 months ago.  When I plugged it in this morning, I noticed that the output meter needle on the transformer was quivering.  I peeked inside through the vents on the side, and I could see sparks inside the transformer box, and I haven't even turned on the treadmill. So, I can't use my treadmill until after I've bought a new transformer. :(   

4. If you need an extension wire from the converter / transformer to the outlet, you can buy it from here.  But the extension wire from your 110 voltage tv to the converter must be for 110 voltage. If you're bringing your 110 voltage tv, bring also extension wires, and mark / label them.

5. I don't know whether peripherals, like DVD players that are 220 voltage would work for 110 voltage tv.  Haven't had experience on this one yet.  You can do some research on it, if you like.  If 220 won't work with 110, then I guess you'll have to get bring your 110 voltage DVD player from the states too.  And you'll have to get a converter for that too.  Don't know if cable boxes from cable / satellite providers here would work with 110v tv.

6. I would suggest buying the converter from here in the Philippines.  For some reason, the one that I bought from the US didn't work here.  Can't return it. :(

You can buy electronics and appliances in Philippines cheaper if you are paying cash. I mean literally paying cash or EFTPOS.  I bought 42 inch HDTV at a store in Makati fronting Glorietta for Php 14000. The brand though was unfamous Taiwan made but what the heck I remember LG was not popular 6 years ago but is now one of the recommended brand.

female_expat wrote:

You can buy electronics and appliances in Philippines cheaper if you are paying cash. I mean literally paying cash or EFTPOS.  I bought 42 inch HDTV at a store in Makati fronting Glorietta for Php 14000. The brand though was unfamous Taiwan made but what the heck I remember LG was not popular 6 years ago but is now one of the recommended brand.

Two months ago, I was eyeing a known brand tv for PhP28k at SM. The unpopular brands, but Taiwan-made, were for PhP22k. Gotta check out that store in Makati.

My concern for Tushima's 110 voltage tv was not much about the price but whether it would work with other peripherals that are 220 voltage, especially with a cable box with 220 voltage.  Does anybody know whether these two would work together?

The regular channels in Manila are mostly, if not all, in Tagalog.  Most of primetime shows are in Tagalog and consist of news, telenovelas which is something like a long mini-series, and game shows. There is basic cable. It doesn't need a box, but it is very basic.  Satellite has more channels and options, including certain channels in HD, but it comes with a cable box.

One of the reasons I got cable was I wouldn't want to miss live coverage of the Warriors winning the NBA Championship.  Hey, the SF Giants won the World Series last year coming out of nowhere. The Warriors can do the same. (Sigh.)