Just got married in Philippines

Hi,

Ana and I got married by a judge December 10, 2019.  I already had my official copies of my divorce decrees and got my Affidavit in Lieu of CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage) from my Embassy back in June.  Ana got her CENOMAR, we attended a Seminar, had an interview, got our marriage license, only to find out that I also needed a CENOMAR, to ensure I was not already married in the Philippines!!  I had to drive to some Bureau of Statistics to get it. Supposed to take a week to process, but got it same day, 3 hours total. Turned out, my Mother in Law had a friend there.

Had not seen it listed as a requirement, but might be good to know. If I had known it was required, I could have gotten the same time as my wife.

Many thanks moonunit0103,

That is handy information.  Just wondering are  you a resident in the Philippines or still a resident in the USA?

If a resident of the US, did you list that as your address on the other associated paper work, or you US address?

Cheers

I am still on my Tourist Visa. Before I made first trip to Philippines, I decided to get a One Year Multi Entry Visa, so I could stay longer than 29 days with a Visa exemption.  It allowed me to stay up to 59 days at a time. My first trip was in January to March, 2019, then I returned back in June. I went to BI late July to apply for a 6 month extension (LSSV) and ACR-I Card, which costed about ₱13,500.  I live in Ormoc City, and Tacloban is about a 3 hour drive each way, so I wanted to avoid the trip every couple of months.  Been here since June, living at her parents' 4 bedroom home.  I got my Philippines Drivers License after getting my ACR-I Card, and we opened a joint bank account at BDO a week after getting married. We were issued a marriage certificate, but that is different from the National Marriage Contract. I used her parents' home address on the Driver License on the marriage paperwork. I still have a house in the US, so for some things, I keep my US mailing address, having a relative scanning and emailing important mail.

I applied last week for a CR1 Visa for Ana online, and it was so nice being able to scan and print things with the Printer/copier/scanner I had recently purchased.

Having several failed marriages with American women, Ana is like night and day. She is very traditional, likes me opening the car door for her, and she cooks, cleans, washes clothes, and pampers me like crazy. And she says she is blessed to have me!!!  She is very easy going, very sweet, very affectionate. 

Most Filipino households use either gas cooktops or cook with wood, mostly frying or boiling their food. Her sister who is an OFW in Canada bought a gas range for the family, so I have been showing Ana how to bake.  After showing her how to knead dough, she has been making homemade pizza with homemade crust. Yesterday she made a blueberry cheesecake that could have been served at a 5 star restaurant.  Everything served in Philippines restaurants seems to have MSG, which I am sensitive to, so we eat at home most of the time, her cooking being so much better.  90% of the time I eat Filipino cuisine, with rice EVERY meal.  She makes a mean omelet and sometimes cooks pancakes from scratch. I think you could Google a dish, and if she could find the ingredients, she could cook it.  Best thing, she really enjoys doing it.  I feel kinda like Ward Cleaver, without Wally and Beaver being around, a time warp of sorts.

Once our marriage contract comes, I can apply for a 13A Visa, but it is supposed to take up to 2 months to process the marriage contract.  I may need to extend my tourist Visa if it doesn't arrive soon enough.  But, being retired, I am not in a big hurry to go back to the US.

Hope that answers your questions.

do you still need to do the annual report under the temporary visa?

I think so.  Unless one becomes a Philippines citizen, the first quarter BI visit is required.

moonunit0103 :

I think so.  Unless one becomes a Philippines citizen, the first quarter BI visit is required.

I just googled this on the Immigration website

https://immigration.gov.ph/services/ali … report-a-r

"All registered aliens and ACR I-Card holders except Temporary Visitor’s Visa holders or Tourist Visa holders"

Personally, I would still go.

Welcome to the club  :) Hope to join you all in the Philippines with my Filipina wife and daughters in a few years. Enjoy

They will tell you go, tourist don't need annual report

I have to extend my Visa by February. Was hoping to get my marriage contract and get the 13A, but it doesn't look like the timing will work out.

I want to know how you got a joint bank account being here less than  one year ? BDO told me one year i have to be here.  I married a filipina  and after our marraige we took our marriage certificate and my acr card to BDO and they said my wife could not add me to her account.
Been here for 9mo. Married for 4mo. Now, still havent recieved a copy our marriage contract yet, but thats a different topic.

78910 :

I want to know how you got a joint bank account being here less than  one year ? BDO told me one year i have to be here.  I married a filipina  and after our marraige we took our marriage certificate and my acr card to BDO and they said my wife could not add me to her account.
Been here for 9mo. Married for 4mo. Now, still havent recieved a copy our marriage contract yet, but thats a different topic.

You need an ACR. Get one. And if that bank still turns you down try another bank.

I have read that BDO branches are individually owned and have different rules, depending on which branch you use.

moonunit0103 :

I have read that BDO branches are individually owned and have different rules, depending on which branch you use.

They are not individually owned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banco_de_Oro#Ownership

All branches  are one bank with one President.

This is BDO's requirements for opening an account https://www.bdo.com.ph/personal/account … an-account

You can open an account online https://www.bdo.com.ph/anywhere/content/account-opening

But like I said above, foreigners are required to present an ACR.

The reason why individual banks may require different things is this statement from the first link above:

"In adherence to the requirements of the Anti Money Laundering Council, BDO reserves the right to require the submission of additional document/s it may deem necessary,"

That statement is open to individual interpretation, but generally foreigners are required to show two IDs: Passport and ACR. Opening an account online may do away with the inconsistencies (or it may make them worse).

And if a bank is too hard to open an account with try another bank.

Another issue is the banks asking for a US social security number. The FATCA Treaty is where this comes from and if your account does not go over $50k, then you do not have to provide the SS# IAW the treaty. But sometimes the banks don't want to deal with that minutia and just ask everyone for it.

https://www.philippinedestiny.com/2019/ … ber.html#5

I personally will not open an account that is subject to the treaty (over $50k) nor will I provide my US SS# to anyone. That is not advice, but just my decision. And if they ask for it I go to another bank because I know what the treaty requires even if they do not and I am not going to put myself at risk for identity theft simply because a bank does not care that I do not fall under the requirements of the FATCA Treaty. Again, this is my interpretation of the FATCA Treaty and not advice.

The above is a separate issue from you having to submit a Form 114 or Form 8938.

If you have a BDO account then you can only make deposits and withdrawals at the branch where you set it up.  Otherwise there is a 200 pesos per transaction fee at any branch other than the original.  Just went to make a savings account withdrawal yesterday and the bank was off line.  We were given a special dispensation allowing us to make two transactions at another BDO branch without paying a fee.

mugtech :

If you have a BDO account then you can only make deposits and withdrawals at the branch where you set it up.  Otherwise there is a 200 pesos per transaction fee at any branch other than the original.  Just went to make a savings account withdrawal yesterday and the bank was off line.  We were given a special dispensation allowing us to make two transactions at another BDO branch without paying a fee.

Yes. And even when you open an account online you still have to visit a local branch to activate the account.

Philippine Destiny :
moonunit0103 :

"All registered aliens and ACR I-Card holders except Temporary Visitor’s Visa holders or Tourist Visa holders"

Only 13a visa holders do annual reports...Tourists...NO

moonunit0103 :

BPI is the best, you an bank anywhere.

Munchie :
Philippine Destiny :
moonunit0103 :

That is what I said with this statement from BOI: "All registered aliens and ACR I-Card holders except Temporary Visitor’s Visa holders or Tourist Visa holders"

And it's not just 13a holders. It is all section 13 visa holders (there are others beside 13a) and section 9 holders.

Even if you do not have to go I suggested going if it is not inconvenient. It's a chance to learn things and meet people.

Philippine Destiny :
Munchie :
Philippine Destiny :

That is what I said with this statement from BOI: "All registered aliens and ACR I-Card holders except Temporary Visitor’s Visa holders or Tourist Visa holders"

And it's not just 13a holders. It is all section 13 visa holders (there are others beside 13a) and section 9 holders.

Even if you do not have to go I suggested going if it is not inconvenient. It's a chance to learn things and meet people.

Don't waste your time..and theirs. They have enough on their plate and hoardes of legitimate patrons waiting to be served. Chances are you wont get past the the security desk anyway.

Munchie :
Philippine Destiny :
Munchie :

Don't waste your time..and theirs. They have enough on their plate and hoardes of legitimate patrons waiting to be served. Chances are you wont get past the the security desk anyway.

You are right about that. I have never had a temp or tourist visa. I came in on a one year Balikbayan and went straight from that into the 13a.

If I did have a temp visa, then I would probably still check in with the guard to make sure even though I know what the website says. It is part of my nature to be overly diligent about trying to follow the rules that would make me feel pressure to at least check that first time.

Can you get a Balikbayan Stamp with a marriage certificate or do you need the Federal Marriage Contract?

moonunit0103 :

Can you get a Balikbayan Stamp with a marriage certificate or do you need the Federal Marriage Contract?

we got it at the airport when they checked my passport and hers

I can only surmise that he presumed we were married and he also presumed that my wife was a Filipino.

I had no idea what Balikbayan  even was.

it just happened and I was surprised to see I had a one year instant visa

moonunit0103 :

We used a marriage certificate and passports which showed we had the same last name.

Philippine Destiny :

Annual report was an easy process. I went with my stepson, he went to the window for me. He pointed me out to the agent.

He went to the next window and a paid a small fee. That's it, we went home. I understand about two months before my probation ACR card expires, report for the permament acr card.

Annual report, just an excuse for another fee. (How do you spell permament?)

W9XR :
Philippine Destiny :

Annual report was an easy process. I went with my stepson, he went to the window for me. He pointed me out to the agent.

He went to the next window and a paid a small fee. That's it, we went home. I understand about two months before my probation ACR card expires, report for the permament acr card.

Annual report, just an excuse for another fee. (How do you spell permament?)

if you are on a temp 13a visa. theres more to it than just renewing or getting a permanent card...start the permanent 13a visa process 8 months after you're given the
temp 13a..at least thats how it was in 2013...Sorry if I misunderstood your comment.

We were told we need the marriage contract Not the certuficate to change my wifes last name.  How did you do that with only a certificate?

78910 :

We were told we need the marriage contract Not the certuficate to change my wifes last name.  How did you do that with only a certificate?

do you have a PSA marriage certificate that has the PSA seal stamped on it?

Not yet. Still waiting on it.

78910 :

First time we did it just showed my wife's dual citizenship papers and our passports with the same family name and our PA ID with the same addresses.  I know of others who got BB status just by saying they were married, that the wife was born in the Philippines  as evidenced on her passport, and they were good.  Would still want to have proof of dual citizenship and proof of wedding in hand.
The certificate of marriage, the one we signed and received on the day of our wedding, is what we use, is usually just glanced at.  The dual citizen document goes like this:

Republic of the Philippines
                    CONSULATE GENERAL OF THE PHILIPPINES
                             558 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10036 USA
                    IDENTIFICATION CERTIFICATE No.  2008 - 9998

This is to certify that Mrs Mugtech , (married to Mugtech) whose photograph and thumb prints  are affixed hereto and partially covered by the seal of this Office, and whose other particulars are as follows:
Birthday, place of birth, sex, marital status, color of eyes, color of hair, distinguishing marks on face

Was recognized as a citizen of the Philippines per order of approval of her petition for Reacquisition of Philippine Citizenship and Oath of Allegiance taken before the Philippine Consulate General, New York, on August 8, 2008 Persuant to Republic Act No 9225, otherwise known as the "Citizenship Retension and Re-acquisition Act of 2003." 

This certificate is issued for identification purposes only and is NOT VALID for travel purposes.

I always took that last line to mean one is still required to have a valid passport,  need not be a Philippines passport.  Have used this paperwork and only USA passports In and out of the Philippines 6 times in the last three years with no problems from immigration.