What are the procedures for expats passing away in a foreign country?

My father recently passed away in Saigon and I couldn't go back for his funeral because we only had a few hours noticed and also they don't refrigerate in VN I was told so the ceremony and cremation had to happen quickly. Now we need to figure out what to do so that the US government knows that my dad has passed away and to stop his social security payments. Are there some forms I need to fill out in the US? Are there somethings to do back in Saigon? I'm not there now but I can get his caretaker to do some paperwork if needed. Any info are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

qnbui wrote:

My father recently passed away in Saigon and I couldn't go back for his funeral because we only had a few hours noticed and also they don't refrigerate in VN I was told so the ceremony and cremation had to happen quickly. Now we need to figure out what to do so that the US government knows that my dad has passed away and to stop his social security payments. Are there some forms I need to fill out in the US? Are there somethings to do back in Saigon? I'm not there now but I can get his caretaker to do some paperwork if needed. Any info are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Since the death happened in Vietnam, I think it would be beneficial for you to contact the Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City or the embassy in  Hanoi regarding death of a foreign national.

Thanks for the info.