US Social Security

Hi Guys,

I've just completed a social security application for a friend here. We sent all the documents
and received an email last week that now, we have to wait for the decision.

Anybody here know how long it takes. Any info is welcome.

Application was a for a local girl with American son. Father passed away.

Steve

sgndep :

Application was a for a local girl with American son. Father passed away.

I am assuming that this is the mother and son that you were asking for help for earlier this year.  Were you successful in certifying the US citizenship of the boy?

Hey sgndep,

When I applied about a year ago for myself they told me 60-90 days after the application is complete. It actually took 94 days and mine was pretty straight forward. Then it took four months to get my direct deposit straightened out. I wrote a long post in another SSA benefits topic about what's needed to streamline the DD process.

Good luck

Mark

Thank you Mark

Thigv,

Its been a long road. The Death certificate was the most difficult as they were not married.

The young lad has his US passport and we just finished all the documents etc.

The Manila office said that all docs have been sent and we'll let you know asap.

Thanks for all your help

sgndep :

The young lad has his US passport and we just finished all the documents etc.

You have shown yourself a master of dealing with US bureaucracy.  :top:  Hopefully "all the documents" includes a social security card.  My understanding is that one may not receive benefits, even based on another's income, without a SS number.  If all goes smoothly, the boy should be receiving benefits up to age 18.  If at some date beyond that, he wishes to bring his mother to the US, I think he may have to move to the US himself first.  (I am less certain of the last statement.  Please check.) 

The hardest part may be past.