Legal advice: Employer wants me to resign, won't fire me

Hi,

I've been in my job in SG for over two years.

In my most recent role, performance targets were not clearly stated in writing. Despite being told on several occasions that I was performing well, my manager suddenly put me on a PIP with no end-date.

This was very confusing. I asked him for clarification but was not advised definite outcomes, and told it may be ongoing, even if my performance improved. I was not required to sign anything about the PIP.

Two weeks after the PIP started, despite meeting most of the targets, my manager asked me to resign on a particular date.

I asked if I was being fired and was told no. I have asked for an extension to give me time to find another job, and he has refused an extension. He also refuses to fire me.

This doesn't seem right to me, but I don't know what my options are. If I don't resign, and they don't fire me, what will happen? I don't think they can fire me because my performance is not what they have said it is, but they are forcing me to resign.

I appreciate any advice you can provide about my options, as the situation is uncomfortable and I feel under a lot of pressure. 

Thanks in advance,

If they won't fire you, they have to pay you.

Seems like you can't lose so leave the worry to them and enjoy the cash and, much as they can pressure you but you, can ignore them - The winning hand.

Fred is right: Do NOT resign or sign anything that you aren't entirely happy with!
If they don't fire you, you continue to be employed by them.
Take your time to look for another job!
(By the way, what is PIP?)

beppi wrote:

Fred is right: Do NOT resign or sign anything that you aren't entirely happy with!
If they don't fire you, you continue to be employed by them.

Beppi, i'm Just wondering what bars the employer from firing an unwanted employee..

Is it on empathetic grounds not to soil the reputation /records of the employee who presumably had done nothing wrong??

Or is it about a labor law the employer fears to flout ??

Labour law and employee rights are weak in Singapore.
I have no idea what other reason this employer has for their strange course of action. Ask them, not me!

beppi wrote:

Labour law and employee rights are weak in Singapore.
I have no idea what other reason this employer has for their strange course of action.

Interestingly Strange !!
This is the second time I've read similar incidence on the SG fora

Thanks brethren  💕

It has very basic rules, if employer has to terminate employment of an employee, they have to pay the compensation, provide a valid rationale to MoM and allow employee to serve his notice period unless any breach issue where employee access has to terminate on spot.

But, asking employee to resign means all these possibilities can be avoided by the employer. In this case employer has upper hand as it can bring any clause into effect based on the offer letter and revoke the work pass.
True, there are many errant employers in the market who does by knowing the loophole of the system.

@Surya
Tis Good to make known of such basic rule
Gracias Brethren 💕