City to live in

Hi guys!
I am new to this forum and would like to ask a question.
I've got my temporary work permit in Franken Region of Bavaria. I have doubts which city is it better to live in ( cost of life, people) - Nürnberg and its surrounding like Fürth/Erlangen, or Würzburg. Any advice is appreciated.

I doubt there is a huge difference in cost between these cities. The difference will be according to the size, condition and exact location of the place you find. Fürth is the smallest and seemed a bit boring to me the few times I was there. Nürnberg is the biggest and has the most going on; I find it a nice city. Würzburg is very pretty but definitely smaller than Nürnberg and the atmosphere is greatly influenced by the University.  For young people it is lively; for a bit older people they might not fit in so well with the interests of young students.

Thank you very much Tomin. It is helpful

I would add that deciding where to live is a very personal decision. You should directly research information about these cities in the internet rather than just relying on superficial opinions by people who don't know you.

I know Tomin, you are so much right. I try to do some google search, watch videos on YouTube, but most of them are tourist-oriented.

Hi Ayokangel,

I agree with what TominStuttgart said with regard to the cost of living. But one thing I could tell you is, make sure the area you'll be choosing is accessible enough. Daily transportation costs to and from work could somehow eat up a portion of your income. The amount of stress, for someone who is new (I suppose you are) in the area or in Germany overall, is just not worth it.

B

BeZwe wrote:

Hi Ayokangel,

I agree with what TominStuttgart said with regard to the cost of living. But one thing I could tell you is, make sure the area you'll be choosing is accessible enough. Daily transportation costs to and from work could somehow eat up a portion of your income. The amount of stress, for someone who is new (I suppose you are) in the area or in Germany overall, is just not worth it.

Yes, transportation is an important factor. Of course plenty of people have cars but to avoid traffic jams and all of the cost and hassle then many prefer public transportation. But then one needs to look at the connections between where they live and work. If one chooses not to have a car then the public transportation if used regularly is usually very reasonable. Single ride tickets are expensive but most metropolitan areas have year or month passes or other deals. One just needs to get the one that fits to their needs. But if one really lives far away from a city or suburb or they need to change lines a few times on a commute then it might not be so great. I got rid of my car about 3 years ago and am much better off. I havea Bahncard 50 for the long distance trains, a years pass for the inner-zone for the Stuttgart region bus/raal system and am a member of Stadtmobile car sharing if I really need to get a car for any reason. All together I save money and stress of driving, parking, repairs...