Ever too old or too young to be an expat?

Hello everyone,

This week, we would like for you to share with us your views on the perfect age to become an expat.

Of course, depending on why and where you want to settle, there are programs which require you to be a certain age. Leaving those aside, do you think there is an ideal age to settle abroad?

Other underlying factors which may play a role could be your present life experience, the desire to have a new life, work opportunities or those arising from personal situations.

So, what do you think? Is there an ideal age to move abroad?

Thanks for sharing,

Diksha

It's not the age which decide. It's the experience and skills someone acquire along his/her career

Age is unimportant - only attitude matters

Totally true, attitude together with knowledge and discernment you are ready for anything, expat or not.

Hello,

I think, in my opinion there is no age limit to move out of our comforts and strive for better life. What matter is realization.
I think success is not a text book recipe, its the small steps or decisions what we take in our career.

Thanks

[at]maheshmalik1981

For security reasons do not post contact details on the open forum.

Hi Diksha,

"Expat" or "Expatriate" is a professional status. Thus, no perfect age. Although being at a certain age for some jobs may be an advantage, professional qualifications are still the deciding factor for filling in international positions.

Moving abroad does not automatically gives you the status 'Expat'. Being an expat is one thing and deciding to settle abroad is another. Though, the latter is a great experience you gain for being an expat.

Kind regards,
B

The day when age is important to decide, it will be the end of expatriation.  You need the state of mind to be ready to give up everything you have known to discover new things.

Yes I am

Ergouziaaron :

Yes I am

You are what?

Any old or young to be an expat

BeZwe :

Hi Diksha,

"Expat" or "Expatriate" is a professional status. Thus, no perfect age. Although being at a certain age for some jobs may be an advantage, professional qualifications are still the deciding factor for filling in international positions.

Moving abroad does not automatically gives you the status 'Expat'. Being an expat is one thing and deciding to settle abroad is another. Though, the latter is a great experience you gain for being an expat.

Kind regards,
B

Hello Bezwe,

Yes moving abroad, settling in a foreign country gives you the status "Expat".
You can be retired, or a student, or not even working and be an expatriate as an expatriate is someone who is living outside of their native country.

Nevertheless, are you still an expat when you become citizen of your country of adoption? But that's another debate. :)

Fred is right in saying that, for exüpatriation, age is less important than attitude.
But the practical aspects do differ and make moving abroad more difficult once you have a steady job (without international posting), a family, maybe bought property or have aged parents in need of care.
Therefore most expats start their adventure when they are young and free, or when they are old and financially independent.

(Of course it is good to keep in mind that the overwhelming number of people abroad - worldwide - are not the stereotypical "career or lifestyle expats", but refugees from war or economic difficulties. For those, entirely different rules apply!)

Hi Helene,

First of all, thank you for sharing your definition.

There’s a fine line with regard to the definition of expatriate. There are a lot of connotations and perceptions since years. 😌 One thing is for sure, when you move somewhere outside your home country due to a job or profession and is „temporary“, then you are an expat (either a company hosted you or you found a host upon arrival). However, if you move somewhere outside your home country for good and due to other reasons other than your profession on top of that, then thats immigration.

To answer your question, I was an immigrant when I moved to Germany and not an expat.

I could be wrong, but that‘s what I learned from the few years I moved around.

Kind regards,
B

I don't think it's ever too old or too young to do anything... the challenges would just be different depending on where you are in your life.

Meet expats all over the world

OR