Experience on the visa and residency application process

Good day,

I have done quite a bit of reading up on immigration to Panama from South Africa. My partner and I are considering a move to Panama in 2020, and there are so many questions that I have for those already living in Panama or those with experience on the visa and residency application process. First question below:

1. Can you get a Panama working visa before you apply for your friendly nations visa and permanent residency? So apply for a job, get a working visa and start work in Panama. When you get there, go through the application process for the friendly nations visa and permanent residency?

Thanks

That sounds like a lawyer question *** is good (*** law firm if the link doesn't work)
I believe you need a Friendly Nations visa before you can apply for a work permit. Also, it isn't always easy for foreigners to work here, and some professions aren't open at all to foreigners so do careful research before making an big decisions.
I believe there is a Facebook group specifically for South Africans moving to Panama. People there would probably be more help.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Please recommend in the business directory or share the names/contact details through the private messaging system of the website. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

facebook.com/groups/187597035248093/

Thank you for the response. I will get in touch with a local firm to make things a bit clearer.

Hello BYR, It would be better for you to handle your residency first because it will make it MUCH easier for you to get a work permit once your obtain this.***

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Promoting your own services is not allowed on the website. You should register your business in the business directory. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone and welcome Byr29

Please note that i have created a new thread from your posts on the Panama forum for better interaction.

As a reminder, if you want to recommend a professional, please do so in the Panama business directory so as to avoid doing any advertising on the forum and if you are yourself a professional, please register in the business directory and refrain from promoting/proposing your services on the forum.

Thank you in advance,
Bhavna

Thank you Bhavna,

I don't see how the business directory is helpful when trying to recommend a particular professional in response to a specific question/need. Businesses don't have active links that we can share here. Do I tell Byr29 to look for the lawyer who is 18th down on the list, since I can't even share his name? I know... private message... but this is an answer that would be helpful to many, not just this person.

Just because someone is in the business directory doesn't mean they are good. It is much more valuable if people can share their first hand experiences. Lawyer recommendations are especially critical. I've heard so many stories from people who spent a lot of money and never got the work done, or had complications from work done wrong and/or incorrect information.

Don't even refer me to the code of conduct, in a forum where the moderators never introduce themselves or ask one question at a time.

OK. </rant>

In my opinion there are valid reasons for not allowing direct business postings in individual threads.

1. If expat.com allowed everyone to freely advertise their business or services in threads the site would be spammed to death.
2. There are many good lawyers in Panama who have a variety of specialities also may be able to assist clients in other languages. It is good for clients to be able to contact different lawyers to see which one can provide them the best service for their exact situation.
3. How is someone supposed to know if a "helpful" poster has some special interest in the company they mention or be trying to scam someone.

It's a good policy in my to refer everyone to the business listings. Feel free to contact us from there.

I agree with the ban on advertising. Otherwise a forum can quickly get overrun. That's not the same as an individual saying "I had a good experience with so-and-so" when someone needs a recommendation or specific info that is best handled by a professional. It's up to the person to evaluate the credibility of the info, and to consult as many other professionals as they wish.

This is how things work in other forums I participate in and it works well. Of course the managers here can run things however they wish regardless of my opinions, but I find it irritating that they don't follow their own rules.

PS I found you in the business directory but there is minimal info on you (or anyone else). I don't know how I would even start to decide who to contact out of the many entries.

As a rule of thumb, one must have a legal status in any country before obtaining permission to work in that country.  First the foundation, then the walls, then the roof...
In many jurisdictions, it is a violation to hire illegal immigrants.  Panama is not different.