Sending Christmas Packages With FedEX

Preface one: Before moving to the Philippines we sent 18 Balikbayan Boxes from the states. None were opened and arrived timely, unbeknown to me some of the stuff should have been declared.

Preface two: After moving here I had used FedEx to ship Vitamins & such to the Philippines it was held up 30 days by customs for unbeknown reasons for the first 20 days. Found out I need a Doctors prescription for 81 mg baby aspirins.

Preface three: The second time I ordered Vitamins & such, it was held up again, needing clearance from the FDA because the Vitamins quantity had been exceeded, needing  a Doctors prescription for the quantity being brought in.

LESSON LEARNED, don't waste my time or money.

Now to the point of this thread: I have/had two very expensive watches, heirlooms for my grandson. My wife went out by "Grab" and bought Christmas wrapping paper, she did a nice job of wrapping.

We took "Grab" to the FedEX office. They would not accept the package until we unwrapped it, destroying the wrapping.

Second they require a cell phone number of the recipient, my 12 year old Grandson. I lied and put down my old stateside telephone number, otherwise they wouldn't ship the package.

The shipping was close to $60 USD and they don't take debit cards (was a debit card from BDO) or charge cards, cash only. So I sent my stepson out to BDO to withdraw money.

Things are never easy in the Philippines.

1 - You sent items that should have been declared, knowingly or otherwise - You can't really complain about that
2 - You sent controlled drugs, knowingly or otherwise - You can't really complain about that
3 - Ditto 2

The phone number is for your safety in the case of mis-directed packages or for contact in case of any customs issues, something that could well happen if you're sending expensive items. Not having a phone number, or deliberately lying about it, might well delay the package.

Their guidelines are here

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex … _fxcom.pdf

This could explain the packaging issue

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/pa … ledge.html

They won't offer any insurance against damage if the item isn't packed in a specific way. That seems fair.

Fred wrote:

1 - You sent items that should have been declared, knowingly or otherwise - You can't really complain about that
2 - You sent controlled drugs, knowingly or otherwise - You can't really complain about that
3 - Ditto 2

The phone number is for your safety in the case of mis-directed packages or for contact in case of any customs issues, something that could well happen if you're sending expensive items. Not having a phone number, or deliberately lying about it, might well delay the package.

Their guidelines are here

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex … _fxcom.pdf

This could explain the packaging issue

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/pa … ledge.html

They won't offer any insurance against damage if the item isn't packed in a specific way. That seems
fair.

Fred,

Reference to One & Two. . . . . I'm not complaining, it's just a heads up to others that might order other things from Sam's Club, Walmart & Walgreens. Can't send more than 500 grams of vitamins without Philippine Doctor's prescription which goes to Philippine FDA for approval and then customs clears it.   Of course I know what the phone number is for, the phone number is my OOMA Telo stateside number which rings here in the Philippines.

I believe your wrong on point three, they are checking for contraband or bombs. I declined insurance,  I claimed a gift, no value for declaration. FedEX has never done this when I shipped from states to Philippines. (open packages for inspection)

I had a business in the states and mailed stuff overseas from time to time, never has the US Postal Service opened a sealed package.

It's a Philippine thing, what takes 10 minutes in the states, takes a half day in the Philippines, if at all. It's amazing, a giant like FedEx (Philippines, doesn't debit or charge cards) That's a heads up for others.

The Filly penes has a Duterte and very probably fewer X-Ray machines

I was in Manila and was going to send a package to Davao when I got to LBC I had to open the box so they could see what was in it, but I sent two cell phones from USA thru Johnny air to Davao no problem they were never opened no trouble with customs