Just for fun: Unusual cultural habits in Thailand and around the world

In this Just for fun thread, we would like to highlight unconventional customs which make Thailand stand out. This is a chance, at the same time, to learn about other countries' equally interesting traditions.

1. Which country considers cats to be lucky? How about Thailand?
2. In which country should you not write in red ink?
3. Is there anything like a 15-minute grace period in Thailand or is showing up on time or earlier a common practice?
4. In which country do people greet each other by rubbing noses?
5. What is one custom associated with Thai culture that you have found to be quite unusual?

Thanks for participating,
Diksha

1. Which country considers cats to be lucky? How about Thailand?

Cats can only be lucky if they have somebody who feeds them. Cats in Thailand do not seem to have as many lives as in other countries.

2. In which country should you not write in red ink?

In Thailand. Even when it's almost not practiced anymore, the use of a red pen was only to write the name on the tags of dead bodies, that goes around the big toe....
3. Is there anything like a 15-minute grace period in Thailand or is showing up on time or earlier a common practice?

Not really. Losing face is too important. Let's say, you're asking an electrician if he would come to your house the next day to fix something. He'd always say yes, even when he's already got other appointments. Saying no, or what about the day after tomorrow is seen as a loss of face.

4. In which country do people greet each other by rubbing noses?

Eskimo kiss. Alaska. ( I'm wondering if that's enough to reproduce? ) Lol
Looking at your nice photo, I'd give it a try to rub my nose on yours.....

5. What is one custom associated with Thai culture that you have found to be quite unusual?

When somebody dies, there's always a merit one year after the person passed away. I was at such an event where Isaan Morlam Dance and Sing took place. half-naked girls were dancing to Isaan music in the middle of the temple. I do not know if they woke the ghosts up, or not. The monks were nowhere to be seen.

Very unusual is when let's say some teachers eat Somtham, sticky rice and chicken. Many of them go to the toilet, some of them are staying a bit longer. Knowing that they use water to wipe their thingies and understanding that there's no soap to wash their hands, it's pretty strange when people eat with fingers around you.

It's very unusual that the military takes over and stays in power, even when nobody likes Pinocchio and his Sherpas.

I'd have thought it's very unusual when people believe that monks can predict the next lottery numbers. They wouldn't be monks anymore if they'd win.

Thanks for participating,
Diksha

Item 4. The New Zealand Maori.  It is always nice to touch base with these items especially those of us take a personal interest in the land of Smiles