Just for fun: Unusual cultural habits in Sri Lanka and around the world

In this Just for fun thread, we would like to highlight unconventional customs which make Sri Lanka stand out. This is a chance, at the same time, to learn about other countries’ equally interesting traditions.

1. Which country considers cats to be lucky? How about Sri Lanka?
2. In which country should you not write in red ink?
3. Is there anything like a 15-minute grace period in Sri Lanka or is showing up on time or earlier a common practice?
4. In which country do people greet each other by rubbing noses?
5. What is one custom associated with Sri lankan culture that you have found to be quite unusual?

Thanks for participating,
Diksha

[u][u]1. Which country considers cats to be lucky? How about Sri Lanka?

ans: RUSSIA. I am not very sure about the 2nd answer. It's little contradictory. As Sri Lanka is a Buddhist dominated nation it might not be having any problem with cats. Again if I take an example of the superstitious society of Sri Lanka, the cats might like the people but the people might not. My observation says people of Sri Lanka love animals.

2. In which country should you not write in red ink?
ans: China

3. Is there anything like a 15-minute grace period in Sri Lanka or is showing up on time or earlier a common practice?
ans: I do not think they show up on time.

4. In which country do people greet each other by rubbing noses?
ans: Oman

5. What is one custom associated with Sri lankan culture that you have found to be quite unusual?
Ans: Not killing cockroaches, rodents, or any other kind of creature that could harm humans.

I have given Honest Reply. hope that does not hurt anyone's emotions or sentiments. What ever be the culture Sri Lanka is a wonderful country and people here are nice. :)

There is nothing better than honesty, a great approach :top:

Regarding not killing pests: Trust me no one like rodents but you need thousands of John Rambos to get rid of them if ever be able to, so they basically have given up and adjusted to those creatures. Hotels and people who can afford usually hire pest controlling firms to get rid of them so that is not a custom, simply some have no choice.

Actually I live most around people who can afford it.... but still they do not try to get rid of it. Funniest part is at the hanger where sometimes rats cut the wire of aircraft, but still they still hesitate to kill rodents. They catch them and leave them outside the gate. :p

Oh yeah They do it! When I was very young I worked for a short period at a company calls James Finlay & Co Ltd. probably the very first pest controlling firm in SL. We had many clients from both government and private sector. And also private households  around the country, not much but there were few of them too, mostly in Colombo.

However we were not rich enough so we hired street cats :D and used rat poison and rat traps and did everything we could do to kill those little bastards. You can buy rat poison and traps at almost every store, so that is another indication that we really want to kill them but simply they have already defeated us.   

Rodents is a wide word, are you sure those they let to live were rats?could be squirrels? Another theory is could have been a "Poya day" full moon day, buddhists don't kill on that day (actually supposed not to kill all the time).