Belize for 1 Month

Hello all :)

I am a Canadian business student looking to spend some time in Belize either this or next winter (possibly January-February).

I was wondering if any locals or expats had some advice on places to stay (hotel) for a month stay. I have been in Belize before and really love Punta Gorda, but I'm not sure how transportation works (bus system) and if this city would be a good place to base myself for an entire month.

I really felt at home in the country, and would love to come down again soon!

Any information you can provide about afforadable hotels with kitchen options, bus systems, cost of living etc would be greatly appreciated!

Hola No te gustarìa visitar Costa Rica, Hospedaje y alimentacion.
Familia Catolica de excelentes costumbres, un gato y un perro te esperan en costa rica.
Lolita

Hi Lolita!

As this is the anglophone forum can you please post in English?

Thanks and regards
Armand

Hi Talanathas!  You can travel to Punta Gordo by many methods - rental car, air, or bus. I have never stayed in PG (as we locals call it), but am quite familiar w/ other areas of Belize, including Cayo where I live.

Good luck!

Sharon Hiebing

Thanks Wealthships :)
Once I got into the city and settled down, would it be easy to get from PG to Belmopan or Belize City for a day trip? When I was down before we were a large group and chartered a bus, but as it'll just be a few of us, we're wondering if there is another way to get from city to city :) ((ps. rental cars all seemed really expensive! Like $100/day... is that normal?))

Well the cheapest way by far is bus, but it can be hot and cramped, and they don't make bathroom stops, lol! Rental car prices vary, you should probably shop around - there's a lot of them in Belize. I think you could find some for more like $50/day.

Sharon

Good to know! I'd love to do some exploring freely every few days, and $50 is much more reasonable then $100 :) Thanks for your help.

I can deal with hot cramped buses- it's all part of the experience :p

I honestly can not wait for this year to go by! I really felt at home in Belize :) I went 2 years ago- and I still talk about it. Which clearly means I'm meant to go back!

It absolutely is part of the experience. Sadly for me, I have a bladder the size of a peanut and the ride down to PG is long even in a car - I just can't make it without a stop in the bus. One of these days I'm gonna bus from San Ignacio to Belmopan just so I can say I did it! 

Hopefully your year does go fast - I'm grateful I never have to leave :)

Hi, You might pick a more centrally located place like Hopkins, which is midway down the coast. Then you can day trip anywhere by bus for max time anywhere would be 2.5 hours. You might consider finding a cheap car 9$1000US ) to buy, then sell it to the next guy when you leave. I know of several that would fit that bill. Seagulls nest in Hopkins has kitchens and is pretty cheap and a few m,ore for a little more money or I could find you a small house to rent.