Husband with risk/analyst background

Hello all,
I'm going to accept a position at an international school in Hanoi for next school year. My husband is interested in finding work in banking, or other applicable fields, once we arrive. What has been your experience of expats finding decent jobs in Hanoi once they arrive? We just want to know what he will be up against.

Thanks in advance,

JA

The realistic answer is, any job that a Vietnamese can do won't (really can't) go to a foreigner.  Jobs that you describe would entail fluent written and spoken Vietnamese.  And even then, if he was able to get hired, he would be working for Vietnamese wages which would be extremely low.  So, his chance of being hired are slim at best.  If he has a four year degree of some type he would be better suited to go into teaching as well.  It's really about the only option for foreigners to make reasonable money

Thanks for your response. I figured that much but  wanted some input. He is also considering getting his masters, which might be his best option.

By the way are you from Nebraska? My moms side of the family is from O'neil. I've been there quite a few times.

I think what matters is the relative chronological order of the hiring and the moving.  That is if you work for an international bank or financial firm and can wrangle an assignment in Hanoi or HCMC, you will do very well, possibly with a housing allowance and a driver on top of wages.  If you come to Vietnam and then look for a job, I think your chances would be about the same as StienNebraska describes.

javjenatru wrote:

Thanks for your response. I figured that much but  wanted some input. He is also considering getting his masters, which might be his best option.

By the way are you from Nebraska? My moms side of the family is from O'neil. I've been there quite a few times.

Yes, I'm from Nebraska.  I still work for the same company in Lincoln, just working remotely here for a while.  I've been to O'neil several times.  Heading back there for a couple of years in 12-18 months and then moving on.  Taxes are a real bite in Nebraska so no reason to live there if you are retired.