Home decoration ideas for expats in Malaysia

Hello,

After moving to Malaysia, setting up home and turning your accommodation into your personal abode can be a great way to start off your new life and feel at home. We would like to know whether expats are keen on decorating and furnishing to warm up their space whether for the festive season or all year-round.

Upon renting a new apartment or house in Malaysia, do you redesign your accommodation to suit your taste? Are your choices influenced by price, climate, etc…?

Have you brought any interior decoration items from your home country or did you consider buying any once in Malaysia?

As an expat in Malaysia do you find it worthy to invest in home decor? Could you share what you have bought and perhaps some interesting places to shop for home decor?

How would you describe the local style of decoration? Have you picked up any item which reflects the local style?

Would you be inspired by the festive season to decorate and add a festive touch to your living space?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

I have an apartment in Kuala Lumpur that is currently rented out to a Japanese/Korean couple. I bought the apartment before it was built and then had an interior design firm decorate it in a modern and stylish design. I paid around Rm36,000 for the work which included some minor renovations. I used to own quite a few apartments in KL which I rented out to tenants so have quite a lot of experience in renovating and decorating places in Malaysia and I know the costing. I always chose good quality furniture as my target tenants who could pay rents of RM5k to 6k. So mirrored walls, TV panels, electric ceiling fans and quality beds and mattresses were common.