Home decoration ideas for expats in England

Hello,

After moving to England, setting up home and turning your accommodation into your personal abode can be a great way to start off your new life and feel at home. We would like to know whether expats are keen on decorating and furnishing to warm up their space whether for the festive season or all year-round.

Upon renting a new apartment or house in England, do you redesign your accommodation to suit your taste? Are your choices influenced by price, climate, etc…?

Have you brought any interior decoration items from your home country or did you consider buying any once in England?

As an expat in England do you find it worthy to invest in home decor? Could you share what you have bought and perhaps some interesting places to shop for home decor?

How would you describe the local style of decoration? Have you picked up any item which reflects the local style?

Would you be inspired by the festive season to decorate and add a festive touch to your living space?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

UK decoration. Most things tasteful has been colonised from elsewhere :p. In 90% of cases most brits don't know the difference between red and white wine glasses. Mugs are used for tea or coffee, olive dishes don't exist. The only thing Brits look for is 'class. You need to ask yourself that and the people you want to attract and the class you want to project. Mainly posters can be used on walls, textiles from ceilings, it don't matter.

Outside this, things you'll need, an umbrella stand. It rains a lot, bringing such joy to all. If you don't have it, it's a soggy house. This is placed by the main door. Same thing goes for coats. Separate stand. You'll need a door mat  (inside or outside the house - depending on cover and if its dry).

Things I found useful. Toaster and a kettle. Basically they can save any social occasion. If you've not used a kettle get it. I loved toast racks, its quaint, quirky but useful. Tea and coffee jar just makes life easier for visitors.

brexitstreetboy wrote:

Outside this, things you'll need, an umbrella stand. It rains a lot, bringing such joy to all. If you don't have it, it's a soggy house. This is placed by the main door. Same thing goes for coats. Separate stand. You'll need a door mat  (inside or outside the house - depending on cover and if its dry).

Not essential to have an umbrella stand. None of my family that lives in the UK has one and they don't have soggy homes. As for a stand, what's wrong with hooks screwed to the wall?

As far as the umbrella stand, it really depends on where you live in England. When I was living in Essex it barely rained. My family back home in California complained more about the rain there than I ever did living in England. In fact, I quite enjoyed the weather in the UK :)

I have an old 105mm artillery shell casing that I use as an umbrella stand (yes, it's free from explosives!); definitely need them up in Yorkshire (umbrellas, not artillery shells).

Making your accommodation feel homey without breaking the bank:
-For bedding (like duvet covers, throws, pillows etc) I loved Primark. They have really in-style home decor and bedding for a very affordable price.
-indoor plants- ASDA always had a gorgeous selection of indoor and outdoor plants and flowers for waaaaay cheaper than anything I've seen in California. Indoor plants are such a great way to make a room feel like home.
-one necessity is a clothes drying rack, as the dryers there don't seem to cut it.
-if you're unsure whether they will have a favorite condiment/food item of yours in the UK I would suggest packing it with you (through checked luggage). That happened to me many times. I would search high and low for a food item and ended up having to bring it with me when I visited home.

If I think of anything else I'll be sure to post!