Affidavit of Residency

I am married to a Thai woman. We live 6 months a year in the USA, and 3-4 months a year in Thailand at a home we are building in Isaan near her family.

I had not realized that an American driver's license in English is no longer acceptable in Thailand. We got stopped at a police checkpoint, and fined 220 THB. The possible solutions are to either get an 'International Driving Permit' yearly in the USA (a pain) or get a Thai driver's license.

In order to get a Thai driver's license, one thing you need is an 'Affidavit of Residency'. This apparently has to come from the US Embassy in Bangkok (ugh, 7 hour drive). It appears that it may be possible to register residency locally instead. This may be useful anyway if we try to get a 'marriage visa' to replace my annual 'retirement visa'.

Can anyone shed light on this?

International Driving Permit are only good for 90 days after enter Thailand.
If one stay longer then 90 days, One need to get a Thai driver's license.
Like it say in the law.

Can´t you get the Affidavit of Residency by E-Mail the paper work to your embassy, Pay the fee, Puls 40 baht more for it to be send you with EMS ??

I the 9 years i be in Thailand we be able to do so with the Danish Embassy, And i am sure even long before i come here.

I know from people i meet from other Europa country s, That it is the same for them, So are you sure you need  to go in person to US Embassy to do it ?

Depending on your status at you local Immigration office, You might be able to the Affidavit of Residency from them, It should be free by law, But i can read on the web, That some Immigration office ask for 300-500 baht to do them, And some don´t do them.
I got from 3 different Immigration office and all was free.

When one have a driver license all ready, It is very easy (i think it is) to get a Thai license, A little paperwork, A medical certificate, A few easy test, Maybe a short video to watch, And you get a 2 years driver license, You be getting 5 years when renew it after 2 years.

Kindly.

When I arrived in Thailand I had my South African licence which was valid for teh next three years
I had my car here insured and the insurance company informed me that my SA licence covered any insurance in Thailand.
I had it in writing
When my licence was due to expire I went and applied for a Thai Licence
I was told to bring my GF House book plus copies ,Plus an Certificate of residence which I obtained from the local immigration office plus a medical certificate from a Dr
My old licence and went to the  Office with all that.
After sitting through a three hour video in Thai etc I was issued with a two year Thai Temp LIcence
It was to expire during Feb 2020 but I had it renewed just after my birthday in Sept and now have a nearly 6 year Thai Licence as it is 5 years up to your next birthday.
Again had to obtain all the documents as above
Paid 502 Thb for the  new licence
Immigration needs to give you a certificate of residence which is supposed to be FREE
Did not want any photos as all is digital there
No need to go to Embassy at all
I obtained my licence at Sa Kaeo even though I do not live there but is was convenient
By the way you may drive in Thailand with your US licence if you are only here for three to four months
The cops took a flier on you.

I will see if I can find the  relevant subsection re licences for you in the Thai laws

Here is a relevant section of teh requirements for a drivers licence

But since there is a risk of not being covered by insurance, you may want to get an International Driving Permit (an IDP, from your local automobile association). If you are in Thailand for more than six months, you should either have an IDP or a Thai license. Always carry your driver's license along with your passport when hitting the road—if you forget to bring these documents and are stopped by the Thai police, you can end up with a big fine.

I have never carried my passport with me and only a copy and a copy of the visa.
In six years
I have driven through innumerable roadblocks but have just been waved on
Once we were stopped near my house and the cop recognised my partner as a lady he had been at school with and the next 20 minutes he wanted to know all about me  and being a cop in South  Africa and when i proudly wanted to show him my licence he was not even interested in looking at it

I had an agent get my certificate which was not expensive.  With that I was able to get a Thai drivers license easily.

I got my certificate of residency at immigration in Chong Chom. Wow, no more waiting in line at immigration in Bangkok to renew my 'retirement visa'. Chong Chom makes it easy and fast.

Then, getting my license in Rattanaburi was easy. Watch 5 hours of driving safety videos. Initially, they made me take the computerized test, but then a supervisor said there was no need for that or a driving test, and issued my 2 year initial license.

We may switch to a 'marriage visa' next year, which is a bit more complex to do, but better long term. Just now, we are in USA, and awaiting the easing of C-19 travel restrictions so we can return to Thailand this fall as usual.