Folktales and legends in Colombia

Hello everyone,

Time to spark your imagination! Below is a list of questions to pique your interest in folktales and legends associated with Colombia.

1. Name 3 popular legends that have been passed down from generation to generation in Colombia.
2. Name 2 famous legendary, heroic characters part of Colombian folklore.
3. Which are the villains which feature in local folktales?
4. Have any legends/folktales led to common superstitious beliefs or practices observed today in Colombia?
5. Have you come across any folktale with a message which has struck you as interesting?

Thanks for participating,
Diksha

I heard an interesting one from a real estate agent the other day...

When i asked if people sold their houses with major appliances included, eg washer/dryer, fridge, etc. He said Colombians don't do it because they believe there are bad spirits and energy in the appliances.

Anyone else come across that?  :unsure

Here's a post I put on a couple of years ago , which may be interesting to some.

Traditions.... or superstitions ?..... A dody area to tread, when you start questioning the logic behind some of them !
Here's some more in the baby department.
1, Looking at any form of eclipse could give the child birth marks
2, First poo spread on Mum's face for nutrition.
3, Red socks on baby to protect the little one from negative energy from anyone passing.
4,No females to visit during their menstrual cycle as this will make baby strain, do grunting noises and and go purple......(Apparently licking your finger and putting a cross on babies chin and tummy usually sorts this one out, if the unforeseen happens)
5,Don't let baby look in the mirror
....Because it could make them want to eat their own poo !
6, Keep umbilical cord in babies clothes drawer to ward off spirits.
7, Indigenous Colombian bracelet around ankle. ...To protect from horrible people's bad energy.
8,Cotton wool in Mums ears ...to stop cold air entering into the weak body and giving her headaches.
9, Hot coals a herbs for room cleansing ritual after forty days of eating chicken ....caldo de gallina.

At the end of the day it's all harmless, and if it makes Mum and family feel better and safer then why argue what you may feel absurd... ?

The forty day chicken and hot herb tradition, I would imagine, derives from pulling out all the stops and helping put mum back on her feet again. Jumping from a poverty stricken staple diet of beans and rice to eating like royalty sounds like Mums needed . Although not washing the hair to stop headaches and not cutting nails I have no idea on.