Real Estate Lawyer for a Purchase of a condo

Hi can anyone recommend a real estate lawyer that can watch our for my interest for closing.  I understand the bank and seller will handle the closing but i'm looking for some one to protect me.

Thank you
David

I can at least tell you who I don't recommend: Jorge R. De Jesus. He came with good reviews so I retained him. He was extremely slow to respond to anything, and didn't bother to show up for the close. It all worked out, but I would have been just as good without him. Good luck.

Thank you I've called a couple of lawyers but no response from all but one. That person told me I don't really need a lawyer because of the way the notaries handle things in PR. The bank told me the same. He asked me to send my contract and he would look it over and call back so we can establish a relationship in case I need a lawyer in the future for other stuff.  But he never responded to the email or another call from me.  He did recommend I get title insurance for my protection in addition to what the bank requires for their protection. Not like the states where a lawyer would be happy to get paid to guide you even if they really don't do much.  Thank you

Claudid wrote:

Thank you I've called a couple of lawyers but no response from all but one. That person told me I don't really need a lawyer because of the way the notaries handle things in PR. The bank told me the same. He asked me to send my contract and he would look it over and call back so we can establish a relationship in case I need a lawyer in the future for other stuff.  But he never responded to the email or another call from me.  He did recommend I get title insurance for my protection in addition to what the bank requires for their protection. Not like the states where a lawyer would be happy to get paid to guide you even if they really don't do much.  Thank you

Your lawyer is right, for real state lawyers act as notaries, you want him to read contracts and make changes, in other words protect your interests. At the closing unless the paperwork has been modified after your lawyer review, he is not really needed. The bank lawyer can close just fine.

I think it's important to make sure any back taxes are caught up - which mine were. My property was also being sold "as is" so it wasn't like there was anything to really negotiate. And yes the notary at the close was excellent! He explained everything very carefully. Still it was super scary to make such a major purchase without a realtor or a lawyer - or in my case with a lawyer that was a waste of money.

Thank you yes it's a little scary doing everything long distance but I will be there for the closing. Thank you

One piece of information: Onlylawyers in PR can be Notaries

Puerto Rico is about the crazyest place to do business. I have learned their system better than they know it. I Worked for a realty company for about 3 years showing propertys. They finally fired me because I didn't have a lisence. Two days later the owner calls beginning me to do a closing in San Juan.  So know this... property in Puerto Rico is sold as is.  You don't need two Lawyers. The one is supposed to keep everything legal. If you have a question just ask the one who is present. If you had two there that really is not going to do anything. If they are going to screw you over. Then your lawyer your paying sees something wrong he is going to get a yellow envelope from the selling side when you leave and a check from you.  If you buy something (you) better do your own research. Be smart. Understand the law. Understand what to expect. Know this...They can sell propertys here with out a proper deed description. It is leagl to do so. Understand the finca very well before you go to buy anything.  I personally am an a hounest person.  That's why I'm poor.  Dishonest people easily get rich here. Boy do I have story's. They do thing's here a person would never try in the states. They have no fear of breaking the federal law. Never mind local laws.

Moderated by Loïc 4 years ago
Reason : Please, recommend your lawyer on the Puerto Rico Business Directory . Also, please do not share private information on the forum such as email addresses and phone numbers. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

During a closing you only need one lawyer. During closing a lawyer is not acting as a lawyer, it is acting as a notary. If you are getting a mortgage, the closing is with the mortgage lawyer.

you need your own lawyer to check paperwork, title, taxes payed and other dependencies to ensure you are protecting yourself prior to the closing.
Since properties are sold as it, it is important you get a house inspection, a title insurance and an appraisal, you do not want to overpay for the property. As to value, offer less than the asking price, there is little competition and likely the price has been inflated by at least 10%. The seller is usually motivated, always act  like you could take it or leave it, if they see you interested, they will insist on higher price.

Initial offers in PR are done with zero money, if the owner accepts the offer, then you have it written up. Likely the seller agent will give you their form, this form is to the benefit of the owner, take it to your lawyer and have him add protections for you, like a date limit for the closing, results / value of corrections needed due to property problems and the appraised value. These will let you walk away and get your down money back if. There is an issue or the deal takes too long. Then give the updated formal offer to the seller agent to deliver to the owner to sign, again no money yet, the money for the down is in the offer but not the actual money. If signed by the owner then you sign and put the down in escrow with the owner lawyer or your lawyer or bank lawyer. You don't want the seller agent to use your money to take a vacation.

One last item, if you are planning to rent your condo for Airbnb or similar, check the bylaws of the HOA before you make any deals. Short term rental may be prohibited. Again supply them to your lawyer to make sure you won't have any issues in the future before you buy.