Leasing a business in Vietnam

Any info anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated... we are keen to start up a home stay in HoiAn...however wondering if leasing first is doable..? Try before we buy, sort of deal.

Next move wrote:

Any info anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated... we are keen to start up a home stay in HoiAn...however wondering if leasing first is doable..? Try before we buy, sort of deal.

Please clarify:

Are you talking about leasing the building and the property and perhaps furnishings?

There are plenty of opportunities for that in the Hội An area.

However, you would still have to qualify to have your business be legal.

You can't simply lease the property and then start running a business out of it.

I think he wants to lease something and then sub-lease it.

OP, do you even live in Vietnam yet?  Who is "we"?  I hope for your sake on this venture that it is you and a Vietnamese wife.  Otherwise your success is doomed from the start.

Not yet..we is my Australian wife and I...we do however have a Vietnamese business partner ready to go

Lease the business as agoing concern....we have a local business partner ready to go....

Next move wrote:

Lease the business as agoing concern....we have a local business partner ready to go....

Respectfully...

Is it possible to be any more vague and unresponsive?

Spell it all out and clarify your question if you really want meaningful assistance here (not necessarily from me).

Do you even have a formal business plan?

Have you spoken with a lawyer?

You will be wise to understand that to be legal, for visa purposes, you can't simply experiment in a business concern without making some major commitments.

Good luck with whatever the heck you are contemplating.

I apologise if you think I'm being vague..not my intention at all..
We have a local with whom we WILL set up a partnership..he's already in business in HoiAn..and looking to possibly expand. We are looking at either going in with him with the expanded business or running something separately, with him as a partner.
No, not engaged a lawyer as yet...that will obviously follow.
I'm after ideas around complexities and roadblocks...
we thought that leasing something first, (3-4 years) prior to making a larger financial commitment. Not looking for a smash and grab scenario, but ideally a 20 year plus situation.
I'd like to be able to have a list of pros and cons that I can take to the lawyer....

Next move wrote:

We have a local with whom we WILL set up a partnership..he's already in business in HoiAn..and looking to possibly expand. We are looking at either going in with him with the expanded business or running something separately, with him as a partner.
we thought that leasing something first, (3-4 years) prior to making a larger financial commitment. Not looking for a smash and grab scenario, but ideally a 20 year plus situation.
I'd like to be able to have a list of pros and cons that I can take to the lawyer....

My first tip would be make sure you know your partner very,very well. Partnerships are difficult in most countries, here in VN things are going to favour the local over you if you ever have issues. Spend as much as you can afford to lose.

Next move wrote:

1. Good guidance from Colin.

2. You are a TOURIST on a TOURIST VISA.

How do I know?

Because IF you had a legal business visa or a Temporary Resident Card you certainly would have mentioned it, AND you would know about the ins and outs of establishing a legal business presence here.

Everything you are contemplating is ILLEGAL activity while here on a tourist visa.

You definitely aren't the first person who has been looking for some sort of shortcut or temporary solution.

The bottom line is that you'll have to fully commit to your plan legally, whether you want to try things out for six months OR intend to do this for the rest of your life.

So please don't do anything that will get you in trouble with immigration before you speak with a lawyer.

I sincerely do wish you well.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

How do I know?

Because IF you had a legal business visa or a Temporary Resident Card you certainly would have mentioned it, AND you would know about the ins and outs of establishing a legal business presence here.

Everything you are contemplating is ILLEGAL activity while here on a tourist visa.

You definitely aren't the first person who has been looking for some sort of shortcut or temporary solution.

The bottom line is that you'll have to fully commit to your plan legally, whether you want to try things out for six months OR intend to do this for the rest of your life.

So please don't do anything that will get you in trouble with immigration before you speak with a lawyer.

Actually, the OP has stated that he is not yet in Vietnam. See post #4.

Not yet..we is my Australian wife and I...we do however have a Vietnamese business partner ready to go

johnross23 wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

How do I know?

Actually, the OP has stated that he is not yet in Vietnam. See post #4.

You might be right.

I interpreted him to mean that he's not a resident , but I'm probably wrong