Friend's large amount of money stolen/hacked?

So... there is obviously a process going on...
I'm just wondering how likely the money would be returned. The money just disappeared from my friend's account (sent via multiple anonymous accounts)... his/her/their bank is Nubank...

Brazil does have deposit insurance, through FGC (Fundo Garantidor de Créditos).  I would imagine that your friend would access it through Nubank, and his/her success would depend on whether Nubank's products are covered like the products of standard commercial banks, and whether Nubank is willing to step up and take responsibility.

Please let us know how it turns out.

It is a new online tech bank. Just need last statement and transfers and sit down with them if they have an actual location.
If issue is not resolved the CMN is the highest authority and the Central Bank second should be advised.
BR online banks are new and not the best options for an Expat

They called Nubank, and then to tell what happened (they in scripted everything that happened) . They were required to send an email to Nubank,  and they were told to go to the Police (Boletim de ocorrencia) and make a report.

Then get this police report and send it to Nubank again...

Is this a proper process? or is it just a naive step? (for Nubank evading taking responsibility as well)

I nearly opened an account there because I have an account with a Brazilian Cryptocurrency Brokerage. I heard transfer of funds are faster there with no unnecessary and exorbitant fees, but as usual I was suspicious that I might be scammed because it´s an on-line bank. I don´t know if there´s a physical brick and mortar location. There´s got to be away to get the money back because the central bank regulates banking.

nv91 wrote:

They called Nubank, and then to tell what happened (they in scripted everything that happened) . They were required to send an email to Nubank,  and they were told to go to the Police (Boletim de ocorrencia) and make a report.

Then get this police report and send it to Nubank again...

Is this a proper process? or is it just a naive step? (for Nubank evading taking responsibility as well)

Normal procedure. Boletim is always needed in many instances whether an accident, a robbery or a crime occurred.

Thank you for the clarification Robal. I'll have some updates ASAP. This Wednesday is Feriado (enjoy it all dear expats :D )... So, they are itching to do what's got to be done.

nv91 wrote:

Thank you for the clarification Robal. I'll have some updates ASAP. This Wednesday is Feriado (enjoy it all dear expats :D )... So, they are itching to do what's got to be done.

You´re welcome.

Update: So after the police report was made, it was immediately sent to Nubank in order to make a decision on the case.

Nubank called back saying that they are only to give 25% (like... precisely this much). Gave a nice sweet email confirmation too..

Nubank is also not budging...They are saying they can only give this much and  saying that that the transfers were "authorized"...

What to do now...?? :S

nv91 wrote:

Update: So after the police report was made, it was immediately sent to Nubank in order to make a decision on the case.

Nubank called back saying that they are only to give 25% (like... precisely this much). Gave a nice sweet email confirmation too..

Nubank is also not budging...They are saying they can only give this much because they are saying that the transfers were "authorized"...

1. Your friend should move his/her money to a real bank that operates under real banking laws ASAP.
2. Your friend should file a complaint with the Brazilian banking authorities.
3. Your friend should be grateful (I guess) that it wasn't a total loss.
4. Once Nubank has paid what they've promised (and not before!) s/he should take to the Internet, and make sure that potential future depositors are fully aware of their apparently high tolerance level for fraud.

At least, that's what I'd do.  :idontagree:

nv91 wrote:

Nubank is also not budging...They are saying they can only give this much and  saying that that the transfers were "authorized"...

If it´s true that they did not authorize the transfers, I´d bring them to the "Juizado Especial Civel" complete with moral damages. It´s like a small claims court in the US. Without a lawyer you are authorized up to "20 salario minimo." With a lawyer up to 40 salario minimo.

https://www.tjdft.jus.br/institucional/ … ais-civeis

So it just depends on the amount lost and the distress it has caused...

robal

Hey guys just an update:
So after some few months. My friends wife posted it on her social media account-- Facebook (tagging Nubank) and it set on fire. So Nubank responded and asked to immediately contact them and directed to a specific contact (Lol) ..... They got their large sum of money back (in Full). But with lost investments, damage and a lot of money loss... They're still going to proceed with the lawsuit for moral damages.

Will update how the lawsuit will end up. Not sure if it will be worth it... But we'll see.

nv91 wrote:

Hey guys just an update:
So after some few months. My friends wife posted it on her social media account (tagging Nubank) and it set fire on fire. So Nubank responded and asked to immediately contact them and directed to a specific contact (Lol) ..... They got their large sum of money back (in Full). But with lost investments, damage and a lot of money loss... They're still going to proceed with the lawsuit for moral damages.

Will update how the lawsuit will end up. Not sure if it will be worth it... But we'll see.

Thanks for the update. Keep the community informed...

robal