JOB OFFER IN JEDDAH! PLEASE HELP ME OUT, IM RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

Hi Everyone,

So I received an offer from a local advertising agency in Jeddah. They are offering 17K SAR for leading their communications department. Now I have 9 years of experience in the advertising field working for multinational agencies. Im married and have a 1 year old kid. We would probably prefer to live in a compound too as we have friends who strongly advised us to do so.

Now the question is:
1- Is this salary any good to live a good life in Jeddah?
2- Would I be able to save any sort of money after paying all the necessary costs?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Well cost of living in a compound is very high, it will be around 60,000 to 125,000 per year rent, you will be paying 400 SAR per month per person as depend fee means in your case (Wife+Kid) SAR 800. if your kid is school going add 2,500 per month as an expense. Above mentioned expenses are the major cost rest of the things you will be find it normal. Now its your calculation how spend the money.
If you are not moving to compound then rent will be 30,000 per year in a good area.

Thanks a lot man, much appreciated! So assuming it's 70,000 for a compound flat, that's 5.8K per month which leave me an additional 11K.

I do not think you would need a compund as Saudi Arabia is a safe place.

People don't really choose a compound for safety; that is done for freedom re: lifestyle :).

XTang, you are absolutely correct and that is exactly why we are choosing to live in a compound! Now the offer has jumped up to 18K, what do you guys think? Is it a good salary? Will I be able to live in a compound and also maintain a good life. Will I be able to save any sort of money? I really appreciate your help guys! Thanks a million

Honestly, from my standpoint, it is on the low side considering you want to live in a compound and then obviously would want to send your kid to a good school at a later stage.

Depending on where you are based and how much you are making, you would need to evaluate.

Yes I was told that its not the best of offers! I have spoken to them and they should send an improved offer! My daughter is still 1 year old so we are still sometime away from schools!

So from your experience, what would be a good salary to make us live in a compound apartment, usual monthly expenses while also save some money at the end of each month?

Again, thanks a lot for your concern man!

Generally speaking, and I am generalizing, to live in a western compound, to enjoy a good lifestyle, save and not to worry about money; the range of total cash should be between 25 to 30K.

Hey XTang,
So I have renegotiated the deal with my employer and now they have pushed the deal to 22k per month. What do you think? Would that be a good start to move to a compound while also save some money? Thank again

Look it is all relative.  I have a European guy in my team who moved here with a wife and one child.  His total cash per month is 60K and he is struggling to save as the compound that is truly "western" enough for his family to feel at "home", has a high rent i.e. greater than 100K for a 3 bedroom.  In addition, the school fees are high and for the family to feel "liberated", he has to spend a lot.

Now, if you are not picky on the "western" element of a compound and can make do in any compound (i.e. small compound with mostly Asian / Arab nationalities) as well as manage your expenses otherwise - it should be ok.   

As I said, it is about your priorities, lifestyle and the comparison vs. your current financial situation.   From my perspective, it is still on the low side for a "GOOD" western compound.

Hi Everyone,

Can you advise the top districts to live at? Mind you my office will be on Sultan bin Salman street. Thanks