Pregnancy before marriage

Hello all,

I have read a lot of topics about my problem, even here on expat.com. But I would still like to ask for advice. I`m an expat and I`m pregnant, and the father of the child is Bahraini. I have read that we have to get married, but there are some complications that I would like to share and seek your advice about: 1 - I know that to get married in Bahrain we both have to undergo a medical check, and I`m afraid it might come up that I`m pregnant. So that puts at risk both me and him. 2 - We wanted to get married abroad, but to do that he needs a paper from Bahrain that allows him to get married abroad, and as far as I`m concerned it will not be recognized until we legalize it in Bahrain and still undergo a medical check. We`ve been wanting to get married for a very long time, but it has happened that I got pregnant first. I kindly ask whoever knows about ANY information that could help to share it with me if possible. We really do want to make it work.

Thanks in advance.

When you get married in Bahrain, there may or may not be a medical check for you as a foreigner and even if there is, I am not sure that they test for pregnancy.   Generally the process is:

If the man is Bahraini but the women is a foreigner

Presence of the wife's father or presenting an official power of attorney authenticated by the official authorities of the country she is from if the wife is virgin
Presence of both parties to the court
Present the divorce or death certificate of the previous husband, and if she is not virgin, to be attested by an official authorities of the state of which she is from
Letter of non-objection to marriage issued by the embassy of the wife's country
The attendance of the sponsor of the wife, or a written affidavit informing his no objection of marriage
The attendance of two witnesses before the court
Present a certificate of the embrace of Islam (If she is non-Muslim)

In any case, if you get married abroad, with permission, it doesn't matter for the test in-country that you are pregnant.

Dear XTang,

Thank you so much for your reply!

I did understand the steps of the marriage process in Bahrain, however our case has certain complications: he is still not employed, for he`s studying abroad, and he will be employed in about September (why I`m mentioning this is because I have heard that the future husband has to provide a payslip to prove he can sustain himself and his wife, and if he can not provide the payslip - his father will have to), thus we`re coming to our second complication - his parents are against this marriage because they`re fearing legal actions towards both him and me if we do take the risk of getting married, and during birth it is discovered that I got pregnant out of wedlock (I have heard that they cross check the marriage date and the birth date, and if there`s a difference they consider this as the conceiving date was before marriage, thus bringing us to legal issues).  Is it very risky to get married in such case? For I know that if I give birth and the father is not stated, he will not be able to marry me later, since I have a child out of marriage. So it is sort of a loop situation.

Thank you so much in advance.

I think the simplest way is to get married abroad (without a paper from Bahrain if need be) and get the legal proof.  Then give birth "abroad" and NOT in Bahrain.  Then when your husband is employed, he can approach for the proper permissions / legalization in Bahrain and bring you & the child back.  If you are working here and have a valid visa then you can come back in any case but the child would need to be sponsored by the father to return.

Usually for expats they don't do such detailed checks of dates especially if they are non-Muslim but with the father being a Bahraini, they may do that.  Secondly, you CANNOT give birth in Bahrain with father as "unknown" or without being married - not if you want to go to jail.   As I said before, leave Bahrain in your last trimester i.e. before the airlines stop you from traveling and go give birth abroad.

Dear XTang,

Thank you a lot for the information you have provided!

Best Regards!