Have CNP, want to renew CNAS, but no residence permit

I had my 1-year commercial-based permis de şedere which means I have a valid CNP which, I understand, will never change. I had also paid for the CNAS health insurance which is valid for 1 year. My CNAS coverage expires next week. I had to leave Romania for a short time. While I was away, my residence permit card expired. But now I am back in Romania with a tourist visa on my passport with 90 days of stay. I am going to reapply for a new residence permit. Can I go to the house of insurance to pay for a full year of insurance coverage since I DO have a CNP, even though I don't currently have a valid resident permit? If so, I can submit the Adeverinta (proof of insurance) as part of my residence permit application. If not, I would have to get a cheap insurance like from Groupama for the residence permit application. I'd much prefer getting the CNAS insurance. Can I do it since I have a CNP but no residence permit? (I do have my old expired residence permit card.)

Hello,

Further to what you have posted above as your query with regard to getting your CNAS coverage renewed without a renewed residence permit;

The CNAS will not issue you the new validity period without being able to verify your renewed resident permit first. Only once your residence permit has been issued to you, either new or renewed by the necessary authorities; you details will appear on the CNAS systems and then they shall be able to renew your coverage for you. Once you have the document stating your new validity period; you may take the same to the Ministry of Finance in your local administration and pay for it as you seem fit either for a year, quarter or month. CNAS issues coverage only for valid residence permit holders. Once you receive your new or renewed residency permit you have about 2 weeks to renew your coverage and then submit a copy of that document to the Immigration as proof that you have got valid insurance coverage from the time of your renewal, I am not sure about the time frame but I suppose it is 2 weeks since receiving your new permit. But for your CNP renewal procedure, you will only require them to present the old CNAS coverage document which is still valid as you have mentioned and if you have any of your payment receipts then attach it along as they will know of your case to be more certain.

Good luck.

While waiting for a response to my question here, I did try to see if I could renew my CNAS even with an expired residence permit. Like you said, they would not. So I had to submit an application for a new residence permit as though I was doing it for the very first time. So since I couldn't submit a CNAS Adeverinta with adequate coverage, that means the only type of health insurance I could present was something I bought from an insurance provider like Groupama. The application was accepted and now I am waiting to pick up my new residence permit card in about 2-3 weeks. Once I get the new residence permit card, I will go to ANAF to pay for 1 year's CNAS coverage, and then I will go to the insurance house to pick up the CNAS Adeverinta just to have in case I need it for future. But I do not need to go back to IGI to show them I had bought CNAS.

Hello,

You are correct on all the parameters with regard to the explanation for all the departments involved. Getting the CNAS Adeverinta is always a good idea as you will be covered not only in Romania but in all the other EU member states. Also, if you wish while collecting the Adeverinta from the insurance house you can ask them to take your application for an EU Insurance coverage card as well, there is a small fee that you can pay and always be rest assured on the coverage both in Romania and outside. Do have them both on you; you'll be safer this way.

You are correct on not going to the IGI in order to validate your purchase from CNAS, however, I was advised by the IGI to always present it, in any case, irrespective of your validity on the permit just to have a clear record of things.

I had initially received a short term permit as you had and went every year to the IGI just to update my records. I had my renewal done this year for a long term permit and was again advised the same to keep following the submission pattern year or year until the next renewal. I am guessing this must be the case as the IGI that I interacted with is a smaller administration compared to the cities. In any case, you are correct with the bureaucracy on all ends.

Thank you for updating the thread, hope this will be helpful to some other expats in Romania as well.