VoIP with ATA adapters from north america.

Hi,

as mentioned in the title above. anyone use any form of american ATA ( analog telephone adapters ) for more efficient calling back home to north america or noticed any issues with it due to the long transfer times between brasil > north america - specifically at least the miami international hub. ?

I know its a reach  - but i want to continue working from home but some jobs require use of a POTS line, which i can cheat with the ATA adapter. but just generally looking for anyone who has information on throughput transfer speeds of the data connection.

Thanks in advance peeps !!!!

I use a Grandstream HT801 with Vonage.   I use it make and receive US calls frequently,  and have used it to call Europe, as well.  Call quality is good (depending on the Internet connection,  of course), and I  haven't noticed a significant lag.  The Vonage app rolls incoming calls over to my cell wherever I am.

did you get the grandstream ht801 in brazil or did you have it shipped, and how much was the tax on it lol

Vonage provided it, and I brought it in my luggage.  :D

Figure taxes at 80-100%.  Fortunately, the box is cheap.  Amazon Brazil also sells them.

Check for compatibility with your router.  We ran into a problem when we changed routers, and had to return to the older model.

yea might opt in for a newer one as its going to be ran from a vpn router in my house back to canada to the host connection. so will probably need a most up to date one for masking global location :)

If you're on a VPN router, why would you need to mask location- won't your router handle that for you?

"Most up to date" won't necessarily mean "compatible".  Be sure to check model numbers on both sides.  But if you know enough to set up the network you're talking about, you know that already.   :top:

ahh i need a basically setup where im using POTS / ATA > voip > international. location masking for work. yea, not worked much with ata over that span of a distance before ;)

Mikeflanagan :

ahh i need a basically setup where im using POTS / ATA > voip > international. location masking for work. yea, not worked much with ata over that span of a distance before ;)

One of the advantages of VOIP over POTS is that distance SHOULD make no difference; when you think about it, both networks are rickety, but the digital signal should generally have a better chance of getting through a rickety network.   My calls to the US and Europe have been equally good, and much better than cell calls across town.

Please let us know how it goes.