Glasgow or Edinburgh

So I have been looking at Edinburgh to move too. But someone I know recently told me that Glasgow is cheaper and least “touristy”. Can anyone vouch for one place more than the other or perhaps pros and cons?

Thanks in advance!

Hi again.

Glasgow and Edinburgh sit either end of what is known as the Scottish Central Belt; it's where the majority of people live in Scotland.  Nowadays, neither are what I would describe as cheap and most people tend to opt for one of the towns in between, then you get to utilise the best of both, while not paying through the nose to live there.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello! You're incredibly helpful I really appreciate it!

Thanks ☺️

Yes totally agree with Cynic. Live outside the cities.

However, personally I prefer Edinburgh as my sister has lived there for ages so I know it quite well. A lot of things to do, great places to see and don't forget the Edinburgh Festival.

One of the key factors for you is the cost of accommodation, to take a look at any of the property websites such as Zoopla and compare prices of districts in each city as well as each cities suburbs and satellite towns. You can choose the radius of miles from the cities, enter your budget for rent or purchase and the results will give a good general idea of the cost of house or flat rentals.

The cost of food, public transport etc will not differ all that much.

I will take a look at those sites and check into that. Thanks so much!!