Advice for new Expats and what to expect

Hi,

I am 22 year old, recent graduate from a Tourism Management program that has majored in Adventure/Eco tourism and am wanting to move out to Costa Rica in the next year or so to gain some experience in the industry. As Costa Rica is a world leader in adventure/eco tourism, it is my dream to be able to become a part of it.

My parents own a place near Ocotal Beach and I am looking for someone to possibly be able to teach me more about the destination as well as any other information about becoming an expat in general. This is quite new to be and I would love to have a helping hand guide me through this challenging yet rewarding life goal.

I would love to hear what anyone has to offer whether it be advice, warnings, or anything in between!

You haven't mentioned whether you have legal residency here, but realize that without having legal Permanent Residency, you can't 'legally' work. This is especially important as 'Adventure tourism' is very popular in the country...and the 'powers that be' are looking for proof of certification that you have the necessary qualifications, with peoples lives on the line, even in an management position.

I suggest you read the info  on how to apply for residency...and it isn't cheap...and the salary is low.

https://costaricalaw.com/category/costa … residency/

For some reason, I cannot revise my previous post, to which I need to add that you could apply for a work permit, although they are hard to acquire unless you can do a job that no Costa Rican citizen or someone with the required 'qualifications' can do.

Wow I was not expecting to receive such negative feedback right from the get go. I assumed by joining this website, I would receive some helpful encouragement. Like dang, I am a 22 year old looking for some wisdom and that is all ya got to offer. Looks like I will be finding a new place to create contacts and mentors. 

As I did not mention, I am WELL aware of all the visa requirements and work permits, as I have completed an enormous amount of research. If you would like me to send you all my research I can easily do that. Being a research student in the tourism field, I am extremely educated in the field of research and do not require much help on that part. I was truly hoping for a mentor and information on how other people managed to do the move, but your bleak comment really did not give me any information, rather just made me skeptical about this website and Costa Rican expats together. I am quite aware that there are many hoops to jump through in order to gain a visa, however I am aware that there are OTHER ways to work in Costa Rica such as owning your own business, getting paid from outside of the country, even being 'contracted' out by a Costa rican company. Obviously I am not one to want to work illegally (however you would not know that) but there are ways to work there without breaking the law.

Im assuming that because you are apart of this forum, you have conquered the move to Costa Rica yourself. Now tell me, how did YOU do it.

Hello everyone,

@ MaggieDuck, welcome on board. I find your response harsh and a tad rude! Kohlerias is a volunteer and has provided so much information, not only on this present thread but on others as well. No member is into any obligation to provide any information but they still do it.

Formalities and the legal aspect are both important to apply and respect. Expatriation comes with its load of hassles which Kohlerias has kindly pointed out in the most respectful manner.

I suggest that you moderate your approach, members are here to provide you information, help but it won't always be the exact information you want to hear and in the way you want it to be.

Have a nice day,
Bhavna

MaggieDuck, most of us here on this forum came here as Pensionados and went through that process.
When younger people come here to this forum, they often have done no research and think they can just move here and work. So forgive us for not knowing you have done your research already, and informing you of the residency/work requirements.

But unfortunately there are not many on this forum or other forums I am aware of who have come here on a work visa to do what you want to do. Most of those I know of who have worked here have either done so illegally (not recommended) or get a job in San Jose with online gambling or phone sales of some sort.

My advice is this:
A) Ask any specific questions you have and be specific about what you need to know vs what you already know.
B) If you have a place to live here and have enough money to live on, come here on a 90 day visa and ask around. Take some tours of the type you're interested in managing. Talk to the people who work in the tourism industry, ask questions of them.

It IS difficult to work here as a gringo from another country because a lot of Ticos are out of work and the jobs available are for them. I'm sure you know there is a "loophole" (I think?) that if an employer needs YOUR specific skills they can arrange for you to work for them. So that may be possible.

Come here for 90-180 days or more (you can renew your visa by leaving Costa Rica for a few hours then returning) and see what you can learn about the possibilities of a job.

Are you willing to volunteer? That might be a good way to get some experience and make some connections..

Create a new thread with specific questions or concerns.
By the way most Costa Rica forums are made up of retirees. Why? Because there are very few gringos who get jobs here.