Need advise. Negotiating remuneration package to work in Phnom Penh

Hi every1, im from Malaysia and i need some advise for the above mentioned.

Job position : Head of department.
Job Function: Setting up a new division in Phnom Penh. Manage day to day operation including recruitment, staff training, business develop.etc

1) What is the allowance as per diem should i ask for? Accomodation? Food? Transport? and what else? It will be good if anyone can provide with figure. (i dont know how to cook so i think i will be eating out for every meal. im living in a decent western serviced apartment in Kuala Lumpur so i will try to get a similar apartment in PP.)
2) Some website saying that income tax for foreigner is on 20% flat, is it true?
3) how much does 5,000 USD means in Phnom Penh? what kind of lifestyle i can have?

Other than cost of living, i will need to have saving as im just 30yrs old. im not on my retirement life yet.

Appreciate to have all kind of advise as i need to have some expectation to bargain with my company.

Hello.

To give you a short answer: you mention $5000, that's the life of a millionaire ;)

You can live here with $1000, comfortable life with $2000, the same with girlfriend + kids with $4000.

So your aimed $5000 is way over what you really need, so you can nicely save money and buy life insurance, for later.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

millionaire's life :lol::lol:

Even if its include all food,transport and accommodation?

I would say that all depends on how you usually live.
A good start for you would be to have a look at that website:
Cost of living comparison
It's based on users data .. so some numbers might seem a bit strange sometimes. But it will give you an idea.
You can make a comparison between your actual city and Phnom-Penh.
JoeKhmer mentioned your life insurance (for when you will retire).
But make sure that the contract you are going to sign also includes an Health Insurance. Those are pretty expensive if you want a good coverage.
Transport ? We have a few bus lines here but most of the time people are using their own vehicles or they are using TukTuks .
As a head of department, maybe there will be a company vehicle able to pick you up everyday for work?
We have western style service apartments. Prices can vary a lot depending on the location and the services provided.
Food? No problems. Plenty of restaurants.. some service appartements even got a restaurant in the building.
On that, I would tell you, as usual, to come here for a few days (if you never saw Cambodia).

With 5,000 $US , you will have no problems at all.

Good luck.

MrBird90 wrote:

millionaire's life :lol::lol:

Even if its include all food,transport and accommodation?

$5000 equals 20 million riel, the Cambodian currency....

Accommodation: you can rent a villa for $3000 a month, then the money goes out quickly.
But a reasonably comfortable apartment with a pool and a gym inside the building can be found for about $500-$750 a month.

Don't travel by car, you will be stuck in traffic all the time. Rickshaws of PassApp or Grab bring you everywhere for little money, and quite fast. A ride of 5 km costs you $2 - $2.50 .

Food: up to you, you can eat for $65 one person and you can eat for $2 one person. And everything in between that, so it's really up to you.

Good luck.

Joe

Yup u r right. I think im gonna have a short visit to PP and understand more. Thanks for your advise.

Thanks bro, Hope we can meet up n have some drinks when i moved to PP next year.

Usd 5000 is great for PP. Like previously mentioned do not drive but take Passapp instead. A meal can cost you usd10-15 depending on where you eat. I made 4500, sent home 3500 and lived off 1000 (incl rent, travel, weekly partying 😆 and other activities - shopping, saloon).

Let me know if you have job openings! I miss PP. Living there was soooo good.

wow. send home 3,500. richnya :D