Expat interest in politics in Vietnam

Hello everyone,

As an expat, your day-to-day life in Vietnam is impacted by decision-making at the political level in your host country as well as in your country of origin. We would like to know how involved you think expats should be in the political day-to-day of either their host or home country?

Can expats vote during elections which take place in their country of origin? Can you do so online or through embassies/consulates in Vietnam?

What is the administrative process which has been set up in Vietnam to enable expats to vote in their country of origin?

To which extent should political life in Vietnam include expats and their concerns? Should they be more active as a community to make their voices heard?

Are there any precautionary measures to observe during election period in your host country? Any local prohibitions?

Do you keep up with politics in Vietnam?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone,

As an expat, your day-to-day life in Vietnam is impacted by decision-making at the political level in your host country as well as in your country of origin. We would like to know how involved you think expats should be in the political day-to-day of either their host or home country?

Can expats vote during elections which take place in their country of origin? Can you do so online or through embassies/consulates in Vietnam?

What is the administrative process which has been set up in Vietnam to enable expats to vote in their country of origin?

To which extent should political life in Vietnam include expats and their concerns? Should they be more active as a community to make their voices heard?

Are there any precautionary measures to observe during election period in your host country? Any local prohibitions?

Bhavna

You do realize we avoid political discussions in the Vietnam forum due to host nation sensitivity to the Communist government?

When we get at all political, admins have been known to shut us down.

Just saying...

Wise answer

Agree with OB. Commies hate criticism, best to leave it alone.

Cheech and Chong said it best: "Honorable general sir..."

Because of copyright violations, I couldn't find the quote. So I will help you from memory, which is very clear from intent...

General: "You will flying your plane very high, and finding the enemy ship, you will diving your plane into the enemy ship, killing yourself and everyone aboard."

Pilot: "Honorable General sir, Are you out of your F*****g mind?"

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone,

Bhavna

You do realize we avoid political discussions in the Vietnam forum due to host nation sensitivity to the Communist government?

Just saying...

That's why she posted the question!

Wxx3 wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone,

Bhavna

Just saying...

I understand that. I think my response to her is valid though not necessarily negating her questions.

Wxx3 wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone,

Bhavna

Just saying...

:dumbom:

Bhavna's is playing to a tough crowd for this "conversation starter".
Hold the popcorn.  :sleep

Hello everyone,

I did not reply earlier thinking that someone would have the right answer lol  :D  I have been reading since the beginning indeed!

Avoid talking about politics on the forum, why and in what context ?

We can discuss about politics when it directly impacts expatriates. Current matters such as the Brexit has been left as open topic for discussion on the forum. The questions we chose in post #1 have been well studied so that they don't lead the discussion (if any) to position statement on your political beliefs, views, parties!

We are not here to talk about x, y, z president/prime minister/candidate and his party etc...but on a more general aspect of politics. For people who wish to vote during elections in their home country how do they go about it ? (many expats have been sent to Vietnam for work/missions etc, they didn't choose to leave their home country).

Precautions to be taken : In some countries you shouldn't talk about politics in public or with locals, it is most unwelcomed. During election periods, alcohol is not sold (make provisions if you want to have a sip), wearing some colours of outfits might get you associated with x, y, z party so better not to wear them if you are going out....

All these things are meaningful for someone who is new in a country.

In no case, you have been asked to debate over your political views or parties you support.

Hope i have cleared up any misunderstanding/mystery over the topic,
Have a nice day  :cheers:  (Btway it is general election voting day here in Mauritius today)
Bhavna

As a Communist county, there is nothing much talking about politics. That's my opinion

Hello Contem Talk,

If a Canadian wishes to vote for elections held in Canada, should he approach the Canadian embassy, should he register somewhere ? (it says Canadian on your profile, if i am wrong, my apologies).

:cheers:
Bhavna

Bhavna wrote:

Hello Contem Talk,

If a Canadian wishes to vote for elections held in Canada, should he approach the Canadian embassy, should he register somewhere ? (it says Canadian on your profile, if i am wrong, my apologies).

:cheers:
Bhavna

Definitely going through Embassy.

gobot wrote:

Maybe Bhvana doesnt realise that the government here monitors many of the forums. To this day, Ha Noi will cut tv programs midstream that say anything negative about them. They really dont tolerate criticism.

colinoscapee wrote:
gobot wrote:

Maybe Bhvana doesnt realise that the government here monitors many of the forums. To this day, Ha Noi will cut tv programs midstream that say anything negative about them. They really dont tolerate criticism.

Yep... I def don't want to be any part of that.... I want to be on their good side and be able to stay and enjoying the time.  LOL

Hello everyone,

I know all that and respect it, same goes for Thailand, by the way. But you are missing the point. There are a few questions which concern your country of origin and in no way we have asked you to express yourself on the government in Vietnam or how they rule their country.....

Anyway, let us see..
have a nice day,
Bhavna

Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone,

I know all that and respect it, same goes for Thailand, by the way. But you are missing the point. There are a few questions which concern your country of origin and in no way we have asked you to express yourself on the government in Vietnam or how they rule their country.....

Anyway, let us see..
have a nice day,
Bhavna

Thailand is a Kingdom, Viet Nam is not, so very different.

"To which extent should political life in Vietnam include expats and their concerns? Should they be more active as a community to make their voices heard?"

This is the point that we are referring to. Being critical of the government here is a concern, but you have to be very careful what you say.

This may help: [link moderated]

Why is my link still under review?

colinoscapee wrote:

It is funny in a thread about the government and not being able to say what you want and then she asks us to do so anyway but then they ban the links. LOL.

I do wish they would enable a feature that would allow posters with a predetermined amount posts to be able to post links.  We only do it to assist others.  The only ones who spam the board have less than 10-20 posts anyway.  Heck, most are less than 10.  I was on a board one time that wouldn't let you post in the swap and sell section until you had a predetermined amount of posts as that section was deemed to be a perk of the active posters, not Craigslist for all.  I liked it.  I assume it is a feature of most of these canned forum programs.

SteinNebraska wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

It is funny in a thread about the government and not being able to say what you want and then she asks us to do so anyway but then they ban the links. LOL.

It isn't banned, just waiting for one of a very few people that can approve it. Massive spam attacks made it necessary, but I would tend to agree about the higher post count members being exempt.
I'll forward it to the admin in a special thread.

Edit - Done so awaiting opinions from team, especially admin.

Fred wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

It isn't banned, just waiting for one of a very few people that can approve it. Massive spam attacks made it necessary, but I would tend to agree about the higher post count members being exempt.
I'll forward it to the admin in a special thread.

Edit - Done so awaiting opinions from team, especially admin.

I added the link through the  EB system, I didnt just post a link myself. Usually it posts straightaway.

colinoscapee wrote:

Did you edit the post?

I've noticed recently that if I post a link it usually shows up, but then if I notice something that needs to be edited in that post, and I fix it, then the link in that post shows up as being under review.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Did you edit the post?

I've noticed recently that if I post a link it usually shows up, but then if I notice something that needs to be edited in that post, and I fix it, then the link in that post shows up as being under review.

I think I did. It's now been over 24hrs, are they all sleeping or is there a public holiday at EB.

colinoscapee wrote:

I added the link through the  EB system, I didnt just post a link myself. Usually it posts straightaway.

If the link is posted the first time ever, it's automatically hidden for review.  After it's whitelisted, it'll show straight away every time.

colinoscapee wrote:

It's now been over 24hrs, are they all sleeping or is there a public holiday at EB.

I think the IT people in Mauritius are overwhelmed at the moment  Their list to do is longer and longer each day; I wouldn't want to be in their shoes at all.

In the US, if you have been identified as not likely to vote for a certain party your vote will be targeted for suppression. I don't know specifically about casting a vote from abroad but believe your citizenship entitles you to a vote regardless of where you are. I do know it has been made difficult even for US military personnel stationed abroad to cast a vote, again, by a particular party that now actively tries to rig elections in their favor.

Cheers. 🙂

Brooky wrote:

I don't know specifically about casting a vote from abroad but believe your citizenship entitles you to a vote regardless of where you are.

Given enough time, which certainly is the case now, you can arrange to get an absentee ballot from your own state government.  The appropriate office may vary from state to state.  Of course you need to have maintained a street address in the US.  If your state requires notarization, the embassy/consulate will do so for free instead of the usual charge.  I don't think they will accept the ballot though.  You will have to mail or express it.

If you are too late or no longer have a valid US address, you can get a special ballot from the consulate/embassy called a Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB).  The drawback is that it only has the top of the ticket.  I considered using one in the 2012 election but did not bother because in my state I wouldn't have had any effect on the outcome.  I forget how far down the ballot it went but as I recall it did not include any non-Federal offices.

Thanks for the specifics. I could have just said per the US, a citizen certainly has the right to vote from abroad, just that it might not be the easiest thing to accomplish. Difficulty could potentially vary...depending on location. Then I have to wonder how many would go to the trouble.

Although I have allowed myself to write many articles in the local VN newspapers in the past about the shortcomings and corruption, I no longer spend time on deaf ears.

In the USA, my home country, I am an avid observer of politics and occasionally get involved. Politics are discussed all the time in USA. But I do have to say that at least half the population ( probably more, are ignorant of what is happening and are influenced by the propaganda issued by the 2 political parties.  In the current situation with Trump the false news, lies, and manipulation of voters fears and emotions has completely confused many voters. It is the duty of every citizen to make an effort to understand facts, issues and truth. If not, the institutions and pillars of democracy will collapse. We now have a president bound by no rules, ethics, morality and exists only to promote himself. There is no question he is seriously flawed in many ways and has done irreparable harm to the people of the USA and the governments reputation. He was elected because the issues of working people have been usurped by capitalism gone wild.  Inequality and the struggle of middle class and working class people has been exacerbated by policies that favor the wealthy and powerful. If Trump is re-elected the ignorant will get what they deserve.

roy little wrote:

Although I have allowed myself to write many articles in the local VN newspapers in the past about the shortcomings and corruption, I no longer spend time on deaf ears.

In the USA, my home country, I am an avid observer of politics and occasionally get involved. Politics are discussed all the time in USA. But I do have to say that at least half the population ( probably more, are ignorant of what is happening and are influenced by the propaganda issued by the 2 political parties.  In the current situation with Trump the false news, lies, and manipulation of voters fears and emotions has completely confused many voters. It is the duty of every citizen to make an effort to understand facts, issues and truth. If not, the institutions and pillars of democracy will collapse. We now have a president bound by no rules, ethics, morality and exists only to promote himself. There is no question he is seriously flawed in many ways and has done irreparable harm to the people of the USA and the governments reputation. He was elected because the issues of working people have been usurped by capitalism gone wild.  Inequality and the struggle of middle class and working class people has been exacerbated by policies that favor the wealthy and powerful. If Trump is re-elected the ignorant will get what they deserve.

The USA has been on the nose for years, you cant blame a president of just 3 years for that.

Yes I keep up with local politics, as best I can, but as a guest in other peoples' country I don't believe that I am entitled to interfere in any way.  I do still feel entitled to be involved with the politics of my native country.

This is what happens when you get involved in VN politics.

Jail term

colinoscapee wrote:

Jail term

Post of the thread - and a great warning to take care when playing with local politics

Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone,

I did not reply earlier thinking that someone would have the right answer lol  :D  I have been reading since the beginning indeed!

Avoid talking about politics on the forum, why and in what context ?

We can discuss about politics when it directly impacts expatriates. Current matters such as the Brexit has been left as open topic for discussion on the forum. The questions we chose in post #1 have been well studied so that they don't lead the discussion (if any) to position statement on your political beliefs, views, parties!

We are not here to talk about x, y, z president/prime minister/candidate and his party etc...but on a more general aspect of politics. For people who wish to vote during elections in their home country how do they go about it ? (many expats have been sent to Vietnam for work/missions etc, they didn't choose to leave their home country).

Precautions to be taken : In some countries you shouldn't talk about politics in public or with locals, it is most unwelcomed. During election periods, alcohol is not sold (make provisions if you want to have a sip), wearing some colours of outfits might get you associated with x, y, z party so better not to wear them if you are going out....

All these things are meaningful for someone who is new in a country.

In no case, you have been asked to debate over your political views or parties you support.

Hope i have cleared up any misunderstanding/mystery over the topic,
Have a nice day  :cheers:  (Btway it is general election voting day here in Mauritius today)
Bhavna

Every nation has different approach for voting from abroad so, hard to discuss that somehow in general.

As to the political aspect of what is happening in Vietnam...that is their choice.  You hear one thing from the public which is usually 180 from what is demanded.  As to my concerns about the politics here..."I'm a visitor, I am not here to be a part of such.  I tell the nationals..."it is up to you to determine how you decide to live, not up to me".  When and if they get around to specific restrictions on foreigners and they end up pertaining to me...If I disagree...I'll move along.   
As an Instructor...living in SE Asia, I state my strong opinions upon the US Government and my dislike to those in the Executive, Legislative and Judicial positions with my reasons why if asked.  As one who has lived in SE Asia for the previous 16 years...I don't vote, I can't.  I have no mail box, no physical address, no connections what so ever back in the US.  I do not and have not believed in the 'lessor of two evils'.  I voted for State and local personnel running who I knew and believed that would do the 'job'...not because they were a member of either 'Party'.  I learned early that those elected into the Office were more concerned with the priorties of the "Party" and their needs rather than "The People". 
I don't live there, do not utilize any services, I pay for my Passport and as a retired Vet...I've paid my dues and earned the right to say what the hell I want.

Anthony64 wrote:

As to the political aspect of what is happening in Vietnam...that is their choice.  You hear one thing from the public which is usually 180 from what is demanded.  As to my concerns about the politics here..."I'm a visitor, I am not here to be a part of such.  I tell the nationals..."it is up to you to determine how you decide to live, not up to me".  When and if they get around to specific restrictions on foreigners and they end up pertaining to me...If I disagree...I'll move along.   
As an Instructor...living in SE Asia, I state my strong opinions upon the US Government and my dislike to those in the Executive, Legislative and Judicial positions with my reasons why if asked.  As one who has lived in SE Asia for the previous 16 years...I don't vote, I can't.  I have no mail box, no physical address, no connections what so ever back in the US.  I do not and have not believed in the 'lessor of two evils'.  I voted for State and local personnel running who I knew and believed that would do the 'job'...not because they were a member of either 'Party'.  I learned early that those elected into the Office were more concerned with the priorties of the "Party" and their needs rather than "The People". 
I don't live there, do not utilize any services, I pay for my Passport and as a retired Vet...I've paid my dues and earned the right to say what the hell I want.

Yes, I agree. There are bad thing in my homeland, there are bad things here and honestly, I cant really say what is better or worst. So far, politicians are mostly people following everything else, except their people, no difference between Europe, in my example, and Vietnam.

But regarding politics in Vietnam, non of my business. Once they start pushing foreigners into corner, Ill pack my shit and move somewhere else, be it Thailand, Japan or Korea...in that order :)

colinoscapee wrote:

Jail term

And I fully understand that. Don't play with the fire. If you want to do something what is against the will of certain government, do it outside of that particular country.

Fifty years ago when Australia was truly free, largely unregulated and politicians looked after the interests of their constituents, I was drafted into the army and sent here to ‘save' it from a system that we now have in Australia. Freedom of choice and speech curtailed, over regulated, stupid laws, over sensitivity to minorities and a justice system no longer respected. The rich get richer while the major parties will lie and cheat just to stay in power. Even after Vietnam, they still send our troops to un-winnable conflicts in foreign lands whose populaces totally disdain their infidel presence.
                   Hence, I have lost all faith in so called ‘democracy' as my vote no longer counts. So after putting up with this for so long and seeing it only getting worse, I had had enough and left.
                  Despite its faults, the people here seem much happier and unified than what most of my countrymen are. Even after suffering crippling sanctions from the ‘free' world long after the war was over, how come Vietnam is what it is today? Perhaps because of a long history of relentless struggle, they can better appreciate whatever small blessings befall them.
                   Now I never dreamed that this same Communist Party that some of us had fought so hard against could deliver such a sense of freedom which I find here. So in some aspects, I for one can only but admire its governance in improving the overall well being of this country.

pogopop wrote:

Fifty years ago when Australia was truly free, largely unregulated and politicians looked after the interests of their constituents, I was drafted into the army and sent here to ‘save' it from a system that we now have in Australia. Freedom of choice and speech curtailed, over regulated, stupid laws, over sensitivity to minorities and a justice system no longer respected. The rich get richer while the major parties will lie and cheat just to stay in power. Even after Vietnam, they still send our troops to un-winnable conflicts in foreign lands whose populaces totally disdain their infidel presence.
                   Hence, I have lost all faith in so called ‘democracy' as my vote no longer counts. So after putting up with this for so long and seeing it only getting worse, I had had enough and left.
                  Despite its faults, the people here seem much happier and unified than what most of my countrymen are. Even after suffering crippling sanctions from the ‘free' world long after the war was over, how come Vietnam is what it is today? Perhaps because of a long history of relentless struggle, they can better appreciate whatever small blessings befall them.
                   Now I never dreamed that this same Communist Party that some of us had fought so hard against could deliver such a sense of freedom which I find here. So in some aspects, I for one can only but admire its governance in improving the overall well being of this country.

Most of what you say is very true.

Freedom of speech and press are things that are not tolerated here.

pogopop wrote:

I feel exactly the same way about our Australian government, I find that they will lie about anything to stay in power. The government is not for the people anymore they seem to only want to line their own pockets and go about it any way they can. I love your last paragraph, so true
Wadey

@Colinoscapee:

"Thailand is a Kingdom, Viet Nam is not, so very different."

Not really, in VN you can end up in jail for criticising or disparaging the party, in Thailand for criticising or disparaging the monarchy. Same difference.

But indeed, it's wise to refrain from political comments in public in VN, and that includes online. That may be hard, as I found out when I was managing a team of young Vietnamese who were invariably critical but exercised their Confucian deferral to authority. Friends of mine in Australia urged me to start a blog about my life in Saigon, but I thought the better of it lest it jeapordise my resident status.

As for voting in one's home country (the second part of the original question), as an Australian I can vote at the consulate-general in Saigon or the embassy in Hanoi -- just turn up with your passport and all is sweet on the spot. Not sure how that works for USA citizens, who have the added complication of state and federal tax returns on foreign income even if it's not repatriated to the States.

With my Dutch passport however (I have dual nationality), voting on the spot is only possible in Singapore and a few other places, not in VN. Here I had to apply online at the last elections and wait for the necessary documentaton to arrive *in the mail*.

Needless to say, the mail documentation never arrived. The only mail that ever arrived in five years consisted of a couple of birthday cards and vacation postcards from my sister. With more 'involved' mail, the VN-post censors may have considered the contents too complicated so it ended up in the circular file (i.e. the trash can or forget drawer). I suspect the same applied to my Australian police check (twice) and university certificate, which I needed for my work permit. I finally ended up getting them on a visit back to Melbourne.