Expat interest in politics in the Philippines

Hello everyone,

As an expat, your day-to-day life in the Philippines is impacted by decision-making at the political level in your host country as well as in your country of origin. We would like to know how involved you think expats should be in the political day-to-day of either their host or home country?

Can expats vote during elections which take place in their country of origin? Can you do so online or through embassies/consulates in the Philippines?

What is the administrative process which has been set up in the Philippines to enable expats to vote in their country of origin?

To which extent should political life in the Philippines include expats and their concerns? Should they be more active as a community to make their voices heard?

Are there any precautionary measures to observe during election period in your host country? Any local prohibitions?

Do you keep up with politics in the Philippines?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

Can't vote in the Philippines,  don't get involved in any local politics, could only  bring trouble with no positive results.  No problem for us to vote by absentee ballot in the USA, tell them I am out of town investigating real estate investments.

mugtech wrote:

Can't vote in the Philippines,  don't get involved in any local politics, could only  bring trouble with no positive results.  No problem for us to vote by absentee ballot in the USA, tell them I am out of town investigating real estate investments.

I agree. Discussing politics and involving yourself in the process is not a very good idea in PI. People even lose their lives because of inherent turbulence of Philippine politics.

I never discuss it, never post about it.   Even here, thoughts of politics in the Philippines should not be discussed.

Best to zip it and change the subject on political discussions in the Philippines.

No matter what our opinion, we are not citizens so should refrain from political commentary.  Only exception is if it is in my barangay then maybe if it affected me directly.

Miguk wrote:

No matter what our opinion, we are not citizens so should refrain from political commentary.  Only exception is if it is in my barangay then maybe if it affected me directly.

Citizen or non-citizen, political debates or discussions does not result in favorable outcome most of the time especially coupled with alcohol. Filipinos debate politics with passion; so with religion and basketball!

I donate to my brother in laws campaign for counsellor, and have road in parade with him but don't do it anymore

I don't follow politics in my opinion we expats should automatically be accepted as Philippine citizen when we marry a Filipina and no more inconvenient BS with Visa extensions....our retirement funds are to support my family not the Philippine government...

Jazz14mg wrote:

I don't follow politics in my opinion we expats should automatically be accepted as Philippine citizen when we marry a Filipina

Not happening any time soon.  If you live in Philippines 10 years, learn a local language, you have a chance to become a citizen.  Something to which you could look forward.

But a foreigner will have to renounce to his foreign nationality, no binational when you are a foreigner. Only Filipinos can be binationals in PH

I think it is very important to follow politics in the PH as it can involve the future of the expat community. As to discuss politics with Filipinos ? only with close friends/family members but not in public. Few days ago, I was in Grab and the driver was highly politicized... he wanted me to be in his camp and he became nervous when he could not convinced me... Oups ! when I saw that he was more interested by the discussion  than by watching the road, I told him lets stop talking about politics, and he became calm again...  :D

I do agree with most who believe to keep out of politics in that Country, definitely not for us to be concerned about, it may or may not affect some of you Guys, after all we are just an Alians there.

Samoil wrote:

I do agree with most who believe to keep out of politics in that Country, definitely not for us to be concerned about, it may or may not affect some of you Guys, after all we are just an Alians there.

Welcome to expat.com   Too bad you have to go back to Australia.

it is not bad, I was never going to stay there but only waiting for Wife's permanent Visa, but did few things there as well, such a trying Rice farms, building a house, haha but that was it, honestly I am not a person who can live there permanently, they have not much what i am looking for in life, but I have a Son and believe me education is much much better here then it is there for him, not sure what he may do later but if he wish to go there and live there up to him, Hose is the farm is there, shop is there too, just get the stock. at the moment we are all very happy where we are.

Philippine laws do not allow non citizens to participate in PH politics in any shape or form. So, my opinion is irrelevant. Those are the laws of the country. Period. Not up for discussion.  Therefore, an expat should stay away from any political activity while in the PH.  In addition, PH laws do not allow naturalized citizens to hold any public office. Until death.  You can get deported if you do not follow these laws.

As far as my country ( the one whose citizen I am), it does allow participation by non citizens in all forms except being elected to an actual political position or voting for someone.  Once a naturalized citizen, one can vote and run for any public office except that of president or vice president.  And if abroad, one can vote with the help of an embassy although I still have not figured out the system.

In the country where I was born ( but whose citizen I am not), there are no restrictions on foreigners expressing political views and also, once a citizen, one can run for any public office including for president.  However, there are laws which forbid foreigners as well as locals to threaten national sovereignty by promoting separatism.  So, if you start marching down the street chanting that a certain region is a part of a neighboring country, that is seen as appeal to separatism and is severely punished. But if you say that the president is a donkey, nothing will happen to you.

geolefrench wrote:

But a foreigner will have to renounce to his foreign nationality, no binational when you are a foreigner. Only Filipinos can be binationals in PH

Do you know the details of this required "renunciation"?
I ask this because most the renunciations I've read about for acquiring a new citizenship are legally ineffective and thus meaningless.  For example, the U.S. requires that foreign nationals renounce "all loyalty to foreign prince and potentate" (the exact language).  However, the U.S. law doesn't specify where or under what circumstances this renunciation must occur.  Most naturalizing U.S. citizenship applicants mouth the above statement while taking their oaths at a U.S. INS office.  However, most foreign countries only recognize renunciations if conducted on the soil of that foreign country.  Accordingly, most people end up retaining their initial citizenships even after the ceremonial renunciation before the U.S. immigration authorities.
For this reason, I'd be interested in knowing whether the Philippine requirement for renunciation is ceemonial (like the U.S. one is) or whether they follow up and ensure that the applicant renounces in a way that is legally binding according to the laws of the applicant's originating country.

My wife became a USA citizen in PA and then went to the Philippine consulate in NYC and had her dual citizenship 3 years ago, no problems with multiple entries of 6 months in the Philippines on her USA passport.  She carries dual citizenship paperwork along with copies of our wedding license so I can get the BB stamp, stay for 364 days, no questions asked.

For Filipinos no problem to have two citizenships. The problem is for foreigners who have no ancestors from the PH

mugtech wrote:

My wife became a USA citizen in PA and then went to the Philippine consulate in NYC and had her dual citizenship 3 years ago, no problems with multiple entries of 6 months in the Philippines on her USA passport.  She carries dual citizenship paperwork along with copies of our wedding license so I can get the BB stamp, stay for 364 days, no questions asked.

I heard that dual citizens, let´s say Filipino - Americans who reside in the Philippines and receive overseas pension like US Social Security and US military pension as retired persons are not taxed by the Philippine government? Is this a fact?

robal

ok I get there is not a problem with dual citizenship, i have a Son born in Australia, while there we made him dual citizen of Philippines, process is very simple one and not expencive one too, so from politics to citizenship ? are this two one of the same ? or is it different topic here ?

I am someone with STRONG political opinions who frequently "walks the line" at work discussing politics when it is forbidden.  However, I am also smart enough to know that when I go to a foreign country I better keep my mouth shut about politics, religion and any sort of strife between different factions.  It is natural for me to instead try to focus on American politics, feeling I can safely criticize that to a foreigner here at home but when I move, I know I should even avoid that.  In a way, I am kind of looking forward to not having to follow politics as closely because it brings nothing but misery and anger anyway.  In short, you expat to get AWAY from all the sh*t at home, not to take it with you.

fixfireleo wrote:

In a way, I am kind of looking forward to not having to follow politics as closely because it brings nothing but misery and anger anyway.  In short, you expat to get AWAY from all the sh*t at home, not to take it with you.

Except that you are still a USA citizen, still paying USA taxes.  Most keep their investments in USA institutions, only transfer to the Philippines as needed.  Can't get away from it all.

Hi, Robal. Yes, that is correct. US pensions and any other income originating in the US are not taxed in the Philippines. You only get taxed in PH for any income you earn there - which as a foreigner you can only do if you have a work visa.

rcvining wrote:

Hi, Robal. Yes, that is correct. US pensions and any other income originating in the US are not taxed in the Philippines. You only get taxed in PH for any income you earn there - which as a foreigner you can only do if you have a work visa.

Thanks for responding.

rcvining wrote:

What about unearned, investment income from the Philippines?

Strange about Investment income, it can be but can not be, if investment income is supporting your life then it is not classed as investment income, as you not making any profits on it, so if I have property on rent just about any way, and all of that income is for me to live on, then it is not investment, but if you get your pension from where ever, then it will be investment income, but then who is to know right?? most people's pension is in the account of their origins, and they transfer money across to them self or use Wife Gf whichever. so it is always safe to say nil investment income, or is this corruption?? haha again who cares right.

Unearned would be interest income from saving or CD's or dividends and capital gains from stocks and bonds held individually or in mutual funds.

mugtech wrote:
rcvining wrote:

What about unearned, investment income from the Philippines?

If your broker is in the Philippines then you are liable also for investment income taxes because they also report dividends and capital gains to their Internal Revenue division. Just like 1099s of my brokers in the USA being reported direct to the IRS. Accounts on savings or CDs in the Philippines are also subject to taxes. There are credits though to avoid double taxation.

Consultation with your local accountant in the Philippines is advisable.

robal

Why would you want to be a citizen from all I have learned  you must renounce your other citizenship and as a Filipino they can stop you from leaving the country, others that do that are Cuba and N Korea

Okieboy wrote:

Why would you want to be a citizen from all I have learned  you must renounce your other citizenship and as a Filipino they can stop you from leaving the country, others that do that are Cuba and N Korea

I hear you Okie and agree but they are stopping us now unless you jump through a dozen hoops and if you get out will probably not get back in or very difficult. Tough times.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Back on the OP's topic as an expat here I watch, learn and try to shut my mouth with local happenings and don't burn my fingers.
While relevant the, ongoings here in PH. are totally out of our control no different to one vote in our own country.
I have to say though the Philippines, given its economic situation are doing very well even though this current situation was not on the agenda with the OP's opening post. Though scary here there are far worse countries to be/live in and we should all now focus on relative government/health recommendations for ones own health and safety and simple common sense for preservation, we all watch the world wide political theatre and some sad plays but many successes.
Voting in the Philippines for me will never happen, I Filled out the paperwork in Australia before I came to permanently live in the Philippines  and was removed from the voting roll,,,,,,,, no fines as it's mandatory to vote in Oz if registered.

One success for me was getting my better half (Filipino) to enrol to vote after 12 months of pushing, stop whinging about what's happening and have your say........ He is nearly 30 and never had a say. Now even though one vote he suddenly feels he can make a difference, one voice. Not me, it's his choice and he sees more happening here than I ever could.

OMO.

Drifted, sorry.

Cheers, Steve.

If your a permanent resident you can come and go, but why try now, wait a few months

the less involved you get with people here the better off you'll be, i certainly would not get involved in politics where opposing parties ambush and kill each other.

Agreed.......they got corruption from top to bottom....I've never heard or seen of so much buying of votes, threatening, killing.....unbelievable. I have been posting some comments on FB supporting and criticizing............but I better tone it down with the criticizing or I might get on someone bad list.

Hahaha...politics must be 'out of bounds' for us expats... have sent many an email just on suggestions/requests for further info/help to many a govt/ngo's/banks (I have lost count  :/ )...but NON have been replied.
Guess our input/requests are just a 'PITA' for them...so best to stay out & enjoy the rest they have to offer.
Omho

Filipinos debate politics with passion and zeal as started by (GuestPoster20) many times with no facts to back it up. So, you engaging in any sort of politics will end in the statement  "you are not a Filipino" or worse a gun to your head.

Best is to refrain.

"or worse a gun to your head" - I am afraid that the US is devolving into a similar political posture. But, back on topic, I remember reading somewhere that a condition of my 13a visa is that I do not engage in (including discussing) local or national Filipino politics. That's a good enough reason for me to abstain. I will be paying attention, though.

Don't think so  if you come with real solutions for the local people all is different.

flex14 wrote:

Filipinos debate politics with passion and zeal as started by (GuestPoster20) many times with no facts to back it up. So, you engaging in any sort of politics will end in the statement  "you are not a Filipino" or worse a gun to your head.

Best is to refrain.

Bhavna wrote:

Can expats vote during elections which take place in their country of origin? Can you do so online or through embassies/consulates in the Philippines?

What is the administrative process which has been set up in the Philippines to enable expats to vote in their country of origin?

Americans can vote by submitting an absentee ballot. Details are on the US Embassy in the Philippines website.

Bhavna wrote:

To which extent should political life in the Philippines include expats and their concerns? Should they be more active as a community to make their voices heard?

It would be best not to join political discussions.

Bhavna wrote:

Are there any precautionary measures to observe during election period in your host country? Any local prohibitions?

There's a liquor ban.