Expat interest in politics in the Philippines

Hello everyone,

As an expat, your day-to-day life in the Philippines is impacted by decision-making at the political level in your host country as well as in your country of origin. We would like to know how involved you think expats should be in the political day-to-day of either their host or home country?

Can expats vote during elections which take place in their country of origin? Can you do so online or through embassies/consulates in the Philippines?

What is the administrative process which has been set up in the Philippines to enable expats to vote in their country of origin?

To which extent should political life in the Philippines include expats and their concerns? Should they be more active as a community to make their voices heard?

Are there any precautionary measures to observe during election period in your host country? Any local prohibitions?

Do you keep up with politics in the Philippines?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

Can't vote in the Philippines,  don't get involved in any local politics, could only  bring trouble with no positive results.  No problem for us to vote by absentee ballot in the USA, tell them I am out of town investigating real estate investments.

mugtech :

Can't vote in the Philippines,  don't get involved in any local politics, could only  bring trouble with no positive results.  No problem for us to vote by absentee ballot in the USA, tell them I am out of town investigating real estate investments.

I agree. Discussing politics and involving yourself in the process is not a very good idea in PI. People even lose their lives because of inherent turbulence of Philippine politics.

I never discuss it, never post about it.   Even here, thoughts of politics in the Philippines should not be discussed.

Best to zip it and change the subject on political discussions in the Philippines.

No matter what our opinion, we are not citizens so should refrain from political commentary.  Only exception is if it is in my barangay then maybe if it affected me directly.

Miguk :

No matter what our opinion, we are not citizens so should refrain from political commentary.  Only exception is if it is in my barangay then maybe if it affected me directly.

Citizen or non-citizen, political debates or discussions does not result in favorable outcome most of the time especially coupled with alcohol. Filipinos debate politics with passion; so with religion and basketball!

I donate to my brother in laws campaign for counsellor, and have road in parade with him but don't do it anymore

I don't follow politics in my opinion we expats should automatically be accepted as Philippine citizen when we marry a Filipina and no more inconvenient BS with Visa extensions....our retirement funds are to support my family not the Philippine government...

Jazz14mg :

I don't follow politics in my opinion we expats should automatically be accepted as Philippine citizen when we marry a Filipina

Not happening any time soon.  If you live in Philippines 10 years, learn a local language, you have a chance to become a citizen.  Something to which you could look forward.

But a foreigner will have to renounce to his foreign nationality, no binational when you are a foreigner. Only Filipinos can be binationals in PH

I think it is very important to follow politics in the PH as it can involve the future of the expat community. As to discuss politics with Filipinos ? only with close friends/family members but not in public. Few days ago, I was in Grab and the driver was highly politicized... he wanted me to be in his camp and he became nervous when he could not convinced me... Oups ! when I saw that he was more interested by the discussion  than by watching the road, I told him lets stop talking about politics, and he became calm again...  :D

I do agree with most who believe to keep out of politics in that Country, definitely not for us to be concerned about, it may or may not affect some of you Guys, after all we are just an Alians there.