Expat interest in politics in Mexico

Hello everyone,

As an expat, your day-to-day life in Mexico is impacted by decision-making at the political level in your host country as well as in your country of origin. We would like to know how involved you think expats should be in the political day-to-day of either their host or home country?

Can expats vote during elections which take place in their country of origin? Can you do so online or through embassies/consulates in Mexico?

What is the administrative process which has been set up in Mexico to enable expats to vote in their country of origin?

To which extent should political life in Mexico include expats and their concerns? Should they be more active as a community to make their voices heard?

Are there any precautionary measures to observe during election period in your host country? Any local prohibitions?

Do you keep up with politics in Mexico?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

Hi, I am a Canadian and a permanent resident of Mexico.

To be able to vote in Mexico, one needs to be a Mexican citizen so we, personally, can't vote in Mexico but we do follow the politics and day to day events within Mexico. If I recall proprely has a permanent resident of Mexico you can't be directly involved in rallies and protest but not sure.

On the other hand, we could vote for Canadian elections (new since 2018) but not provincial elections. The process involves that you register yourself based on your last address, you then request the paperwork to be sent to your Mexico address and need to sent it back in time (election day or before not sure). For us, the postal delivery delays are so long from Canada to Mexico and back that no chance to be there in time. Personally, we keep ourselves informed of what is going on in Canada but having no intention of going back voting is unnecessary for us.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

We are moving in late Summer, and mail might be a problem.  So we will likely fly home to vote in the US.  I'm not missing this one, got kids/grandkids in the US so we need to vote.  We will maintain an address here so we can.  If we are ever able to naturalize in MX, then of course we would participate and vote.  If we do not, or cannot, then we will continue to vote in the US and figure out how best to do that.  If it means flying home because of mail delays, so be it. 

I have voted in every US election, no matter the state I lived in, since I turned 18.  Not stopping.  Prior to moving, we will find out the rules specific to our State and make sure we follow them.  I have started looking, but need to just go into the office and ask specifics.  It's only about 5 minutes from our home here, but it'll probably be a few weeks before I have time on weekdays during business hours to go in.

I'm following the politics in both countries.  The situation in both countries concerns me quite a bit. I receive my voter information electronically and can vote electronically for U.S. elections.

I maintain a U.S. address and my State requires that I maintain a state I.D. and that I will be in the state 30 days prior to an election I plan to vote in. Needless to say, I must vote in the next major election for the sake of my country and family.

Here, not enough people felt that voting was needed so the current officeholders were voted in with, as I understand it only 25% of the vote. That clearly demonstrates the importance of voting.  There are some strong similarities here with the problems in the U.S.

I always pay attention to world politics so I most certainly watch the ones that affect my life directly and that of my loved ones. I cant vote in Mexico yet but I do attend meetings of the political party of my choice (hint: the current president belongs to it!). As to voting in the US I have to vote by provisional ballot anyway and I dont feel like those get count in my state. I still vote though. I will have tofind out what I need to do so that I can vote in 2020 which is, as everyone has said, a very important election to be counted in.