Expat interest in politics in Dominican Republic

Hello everyone,

As an expat, your day-to-day life in Dominican Republic is impacted by decision-making at the political level in your host country as well as in your country of origin. We would like to know how involved you think expats should be in the political day-to-day of either their host or home country?

Can expats vote during elections which take place in their country of origin? Can you do so online or through embassies/consulates in Dominican Republic?

What is the administrative process which has been set up in Dominican Republic to enable expats to vote in their country of origin?

To which extent should political life in Dominican Republic include expats and their concerns? Should they be more active as a community to make their voices heard?

Are there any precautionary measures to observe during election period in your host country? Any local prohibitions?

Do you keep up with politics in Dominican Republic?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

As we are heading into an election here, the timing for this thread is perfect.

First expats need to understand that unless you are a citizen you cannot vote. And it is illegal for expats to be involved in politics in any way.

Can you have an opinion? Of course! 

You can't assist any campaign, donate money or be active in any campaign.

In terms of assistance/ administrative processes to vote in home countries - that is up to each country. Any expat wanting to vote in their home country elections should start with Google! We have expats from all over, so there are too many countries to cover.

As guests in this country while we would like to be considered by the govt and politics, it certainly isn't our right to be.  We do effect the economy but not to a huge extent.

In terms of precautions: during elections just stay home.  Tempers can and do get the best of people both during elections and immediately after elections.  Best to chill at home and wait it out.

We should be well informed because we live here. But I would caution about becoming vocal or active politically because we are guests. Unknown if expats can vote if so speak your mind in privacy of the voting booth.

Expats can only vote if they obtain Dominican citizenship.

Everything else you said I agree with completely. 

My father brought me up to always vote, but never talk politics.

And don't get involved if you don't have citizenship, it's illegal!