General banter

First time back to Saigon in 2 years. I’m really impressed with the way things have progressed. The quality of shops and restaraunts has risen to a new level. I’m also liking the Grab now which has essentially taken all the negativity out of the taxi business and made it a convenient, cheap and honest way to travel for everybody.

I think though they should come up with some type of strategy to protect sidewalks and pedestrians from motorbikes that like to ride up on the sidewalks. I was thinking at several of the main / significant intersections they could perhaps put small bollards (knee height) and chains up for say 30m with enough width that only pedestrians can walk through to the corner...I think they have actually done it in a few places already. What it does is provides a safe zone for pedestrians and also prevents the bikes using the sidewalk intersection / corner as an exit.

panda7 :

First time back to Saigon in 2 years. I’m really impressed with the way things have progressed. The quality of shops and restaraunts has risen to a new level. I’m also liking the Grab now which has essentially taken all the negativity out of the taxi business and made it a convenient, cheap and honest way to travel for everybody.

I think though they should come up with some type of strategy to protect sidewalks and pedestrians from motorbikes that like to ride up on the sidewalks. I was thinking at several of the main / significant intersections they could perhaps put small bollards (knee height) and chains up for say 30m with enough width that only pedestrians can walk through to the corner...I think they have actually done it in a few places already. What it does is provides a safe zone for pedestrians and also prevents the bikes using the sidewalk intersection / corner as an exit.

We were walking on Lý Tự Trọng between Bến Thành Market and Vincom Plaza the other night and noticed upside down U shaped tubular chrome bars embedded in the sidewalk, extending upward just slightly higher than our ankles.

Easy to step over but making it very hard for motorbikes to navigate around them.

Just enough space for a wheelchair to slip through between the end furthest from the street and the wall surrounding a building.

I'd welcome seeing more of those around town