Expats- What you miss most being far from your own country?

I miss my childhood friends........

Being present for for family events that are too small or awkwardly scheduled for international travel.

I miss breathing clean air.  There is so much cigarette smoke here!

I miss celebrating holidays with my family and my cats at home. It's an awesome feeling when all of you cook together and eat together 😊

True, we realize the importance of these small event  and family gatherings in our life, once we will not be able to attend these...

Family, friends, food, festivals, markets, Mediterranean, Dead Sea, parks, and driving without stress.

Mom 😭

Participating in politics. Voting for candidates I believe in. Saying any goddamn thing and expressing any goddamn heretical views without having to self censor myself.

Other than good bread (of which my country has the best in the world), I did not miss anything.
On the contrary, I miss more now that I'm back home. Diversity is a good thing to have!

Well, as an immigrant, I now live in "my own country". I left my birth-country (Australia) fifty-five years ago, and after a few diversions I've lived here on my little Caribbean island for forty-two of them. I like to reminisce about my early life on a Queensland sheep-station (and have blogged about it once or twice - link below), and I remember it fondly; but there was never a wish to be back there.
https://barlowscayman.blogspot.com/2012 … t-two.html (also titled "The Man from Snowy River")

chenwen wrote:

Participating in politics. Voting for candidates I believe in. Saying any goddamn thing and expressing any goddamn heretical views without having to self censor myself.

I have fortunately only lived in nations with free speech and open elections, though I obviously cannot vote in any other than my home. Even so, it is nice to be able to speak one's mind.

beppi wrote:

Other than good bread (of which my country has the best in the world), I did not miss anything.
On the contrary, I miss more now that I'm back home. Diversity is a good thing to have!

Other than Israel, Bangladesh, Jordan, Italy, Afghanistan, Egypt, France, and Turkey, your country indeed has the best bread in the world.

I miss my family, my friends, my culture, freedom, freedom to travell without car, clouds, rain, greenery, smell of flowers in spring, taste of shampagne and true New Year with music, saluts and Christmas tree, snow, when everything nice , white, and like in  faire tale, friends, yes, true friends, who can help, if you need.I think I miss a lot.But I sure here I just a guest, no, sorry, expat.and for sure I will comeback.

I miss my mom and other family members. I miss cool weather when I can wear boots, cashmere, coat...... And, I really miss snow! I want to smell snow!

I miss sunny days, miss the sea and beaches, miss the tasty food and fruits.

With Christmas fast approaching, I miss the childhood memories of  sunny Christmas days, warm breezes and the feeling of sand between my toes.  Taipei is currently cold, raining, and windy. That is not Christmas to me.

:sosad:

I miss Soplica (nut flavor) with milk

I miss my Indian granular black tea, I could not find it in any of the super-markets in the city where I stay in Russia. All tea available are tea leaves and one cannot prepare a Indian type greasy tea with lots of milk with this leafy kind. So, this time while returning from India, my suitcase was packed with tons of Indian granular tea. :)

I miss my mom cooking and also my cat

I miss my family, my friends, and the fun time we spent together

I miss the comfort and infrastructure of a first-world country now that I'm working in an emerging market. Coming from Singapore, I'm so used to having things at the click of a button in this mobile-connected era.

There are so many things we take for granted back home, you never know how much you miss home till you've been pushed out of your comfort zone.

I miss nothing, although a touch more snow and a colder weather would make the winter feel like an actual winter (my "actual winter" starts at -15C/5F and goes up to -40C/-40F). Connecting is easy via the internet and meeting friends and family IRL a couple of times a year is enough for me.

I miss my annoying brothers, their plentiful imported booze and their delicious barbecues!

Am rwandaise live in reunion island and looking for a friends to chill with... I really missing my family 😭 but I hope to see them soon

I miss the crime, drugs, and drunks.
I'm happy to miss them.

I miss the good time we used to share with my family and friends

Subway and Sonic

they have Subway  in Manila

but it may as well be on the moon for all the good that does me

Lol where is that

That shouldn't be hard ..you are attractive :)

I miss simple conveniences.  not having to carry cash all of the time.  not having taxis say no to you.  not have such poor customer service.  it actually breaks my heart because I didn't expect Muslims to behave in such a manner.

elamin13 wrote:

I miss simple conveniences.  not having to carry cash all of the time.  not having taxis say no to you.  not have such poor customer service.  it actually breaks my heart because I didn't expect Muslims to behave in such a manner.

Is it the entire religion or a select few individuals in a single location?

selayang88 wrote:

I miss my mom cooking and also my cat

That "and also" truly saves the day.

Coming to think of it....I only miss my SGD$$$ salary & the 'power' that came with it!

I miss the Turkish coffee

elamin13 wrote:

Whoa! This is a wildly offensive statement! If someone was rude to you in the USA, would you say you didn't expect Christians to act like that? I think you ought to explain yourself here, elamin13.

Hmmmm...Elamin 13....saw yr post.

Very likely you were mistakingly carrying your pet piglet 'piggy' just before you boarded these taxi's; as you always do in your homeland.

You should be more sensitive to others feelings and realize that it pays to be polite/respectful in all that you do or say...pse stop carrying 'piggy' whereever you go & learn to be respectful.

Try "Faladdin" application to see your future from Turkish coffee cup

Meet other expats and join the events

OR