Living Costs and various expenses.

I have been offered to work in Phnom Penh and hopefully have plans to relocate within first week of July. I am looking for some cost/expense ideas on the below:

1. Housing (Furnished/Serviced apartment in a good location, secure)
2. Transportation/Commuting within the city.
3. Education/School fascilities (English Medium)
4. Monthly average kitchen expense for a family.
5. Security within the city?

Looking forward to expert advises.

Thanks and regards,
Ali

Dear Ali

I may have missed your move to Phnom Penh by now, but I wanted to pass on some advice just in case.

1.  Housing: You can live anywhere in Phnom Penh as it is all quite safe, but it really depends upon your budget.  BKK1 is the most popular place for foreigners as there is an abundance of air conditioned restaurants, cafes and supermarkets.  Tonle Basak is close to BKK1 and is also a place of choice - it is where a lot of the embassies are situated.[Moderated.]  My boyfriend and I looked at apartments through many real estate agents, and Chanthorn were the only ones that really listed to our budget requirements!

2.  Transport: If you are transporting the whole family, you can hire a tuk tuk to take you anywhere in Phnom Penh.  The price will start at $1.50 per trip.  Motorbikes are also a popular option, although these of course can only carry one person.  A Moto trip will start at $1.  Unfortunately, buses seem to only run for long distance trips.

3.  Education: Sorry.  I don't have children so can't help on this topic.

4.  Monthly food expenses: This depends whether you wish to buy food locally from the markets or buy food in the international supermarkets.  My boyfriend and I are writers and we live and eat at home predominantly.  We spend approximately $100 per week on food shopping.

5.  Security within the city : It is like any city in South East Asia.  Keep your personal belongings close, stay vigilant and alert and you will encounter no problems.  Most Westernised accommodation will have grids on each window and a secure entrance from the street.  If you are lucky there will also be a 24 hour security guard.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Brionny

Thanks.

It has been now almost more then 2 weeks and now settled in :)

Cheers.
Ali