39 found dead in Britain

Although not officially confirmed by British authorities, apparently the 39 people found dead last week in a shipping container in the port of Grays, East of London, were primarily or exclusively Vietnamese in origin.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/30/worl … on=topNews
I have no further comment.

My wife has shown me a couple articles.  All younger people, 19-20-something.  I don't condone the illegal attempt to enter the country considering the time and money we are spending to do it legally ourselves but I do feel bad for them and their families.

The problem for Vietnamese is they try to do everything the easy way. In their day-to-day life you see it. They have a bad reputation in many countries for flouting the law. Do it the legal way or stay at home, at least you will still be alive.

SteinNebraska, the refugees should not be generalized.
There are refugees who are threatened in body and soul, who risk their lives to flee for example in an unsuitable boat over the Mediterranean Sea.
I think we as rich Westerners cannot understand what is going on in extremely poor people and regime and war refugees.

I agree with Collins post, although there are also very poor people in Vietnam. But these people can't afford 10k dollars to pay the facilitators.

I also think that the state should inform the people that abroad you don't get rich as an employee in a nail studio and that for many it ends up in prostitution.

AkaMaverick :

There are refugees who are threatened in body and soul, who risk their lives to flee for example in an unsuitable boat over the Mediterranean Sea.
I think we as rich Westerners cannot understand what is going on in extremely poor people and regime and war refugees.

Are we talking about the same group of 39 people?  I don't see regime or war refugees.  I saw young Vietnamese that wanted to sneak into a country illegally for their misguided reason that they can make more money there which may or may not happen.

AkaMaverick :

SteinNebraska, the refugees should not be generalized.

There are proper channels for asking for asylium. Not to show up at our doorstep knowing that we're too "good" to deport them back where they came from. If the people who are very tolerant towards these migrants supported them with their own money, put them up in their houses, then I could respect them. But you know, the "richest" of western countries have people in need of their own, they should always have priority over illegal immigrants, no matter what happens in their own countries.

https://ibb.co/3zNgWYq  :D

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/perspectiv … 04048.html

I hope that many Vietnamese will read this article and that something like this will never happen again.

Its so sad!
Here's praying for all the lost ones and their families.

Are we talking about the same group of 39 people?  I don't see regime or war refugees.  I saw young Vietnamese that wanted to sneak into a country illegally for their misguided reason that they can make more money there which may or may not happen.

It's an appalling tragedy, please try to show some humanity.

colinoscapee :

The problem for Vietnamese is they try to do everything the easy way. In their day-to-day life you see it. They have a bad reputation in many countries for flouting the law. Do it the legal way or stay at home, at least you will still be alive.

Rollingbroak :
Honest, and being civil is very different. American often honestly express things more in direct manner, do not realize of rudeness and arrogant. Same as lies and untruthful is also different, you can said things untrue (oh, it looks nice, even at an ugly piece of scrap), lies is to deceive to benefit.  So it is all depends what mold you are made from. Believe it or not Vietnam is a diverse regional culture, same as the US, Midwest people is so different than Northeast, same as regional of the Pacific West.

However when you have nothing, motivation of financial gain would blind majority of us.  Vietnam was a dirt poor country, a dry land, suddenly pouring rain, the first thing grew up weed and grass.

You trying to tell me about a country that I have lived in for 12 years.

How long have you been living here?

To answer of who I am, I was born and raised in Vietnam. I was one of those undesired people of the 80's when the SE Asia  pulled the wooden boat full of desperate back out the sea.

Our "product of bad reputation" oversea result with each family produced at least one medical doctor. All my children were the top %1 performed in America. Their tuition were paid my easy 80 plus hours work week, all came out with zero debt, investment account and credit score they can buy the house with ease.

We retire in our home adopted comfortably, or travel the world when we want to. Not by an easy way with meager retirement, one have to abandon your home land to look for cheaper alternative, and hook up with poor local. Yes, with your skin and meager pension does look superior to the local.

colinoscapee :

colinoscapee :
Rollingbroak :

Honest, and being civil is very different. American often honestly express things more in direct manner, do not realize of rudeness and arrogant. Same as lies and untruthful is also different, you can said things untrue (oh, it looks nice, even at an ugly piece of scrap), lies is to deceive to benefit.  So it is all depends what mold you are made from. Believe it or not Vietnam is a diverse regional culture, same as the US, Midwest people is so different than Northeast, same as regional of the Pacific West.

However when you have nothing, motivation of financial gain would blind majority of us.  Vietnam was a dirt poor country, a dry land, suddenly pouring rain, the first thing grew up weed and grass.

You trying to tell me about a country that I have lived in for 12 years.

How long have you been living here?

To answer of who I am, I was born and raised in Vietnam. I was one of those undesired people of the 80's when the SE Asia  pulled the wooden boat full of desperate back out the sea.

Our "product of bad reputation" oversea is resulted  with each family produced at least one medical doctor. All my children were the top %1 performer in America school system. Their tuition were paid with my easy 80 plus hours work week, all came out with zero debt, investment account and credit score they can buy the house with ease.

We retire in our adopted homeland comfortably, or travel the world when we want to at anytime. Not with meager retirement, one have to abandon your home land to look for cheaper alternative, and hook up with local poor women. Yes, with your skin and meager pension does look superior to the local.

RIP to all victims... It's so sad for the victims and their families. All this happened just because people just wanted a better life for themselves and their loved ones. It's pretty much like people left Vietnam after 1975 and early 1980's by boat for freedom and a better life abroad.

Do we allow the world to move more freely and we rich become poorer and more exposed to dangers? or do we build ever higher walls and watch the rest of the world die in escalating and vast numbers? Think humanity....

Planet Earth has the resources to support us all and then some... if  those of us who have a lot spare a little of it with those who have very little... This would be a wonderful world to live in!!! God love us all and we should love one another.

colinoscapee :

I am a Vietnamese boat person from the 70's and I disagree with this comment. I guess we're all allowed our own opinions but to group an entire country doing things the easy way or flouting the law is wrong! People will try to get away with what they are allowed to get away with. It happens in all countries. The western ways aren't always the right way or the only way. Instead of sympathy or empathy, the member went and blame the dead. Yes they are responsible for their own actions but it doesn't mean there's no room for sympathy or empathy. We don't know what they were going through day to day that led them to this desperate action so let's not judge. Their family may have saved all their lives to be able to afford to smuggle one family member to the land of the free to make a better life for themselves and also to help their family back in VN. Or their families went into debt to smuggle the person out of the country. Many Vietnamese risked their lives to find a better future and westerners don't understand their struggles. My sisters and I were lucky back in the 70's where it only took us 2 tries to escape VN and into a refugee camp in Thailand. It took one of my brother 6 times and my other brother 4 times to finally escape VN. It cost my family a lot of money each time for the boat captain and to bribe the prison to get us out if we were caught. Vietnamese people were risking their lives in rickety boats that can sink or being attacked by Thai pirates knowing that boat people bring with them all their valuables. I think people looking to live a better life in a foreign land shouldn't judge other who are looking for the same thing although in different methods.

Rahj_Devon :

RIP to all victims... It's so sad for the victims and their families. All this happened just because people just wanted a better life for themselves and their loved ones. It's pretty much like people left Vietnam after 1975 and early 1980's by boat for freedom and a better life abroad.

Do we allow the world to move more freely and we rich become poorer and more exposed to dangers? or do we build ever higher walls and watch the rest of the world die in escalating and vast numbers? Think humanity....

Planet Earth has the resources to support us all and then some... if  those of us who have a lot spare a little of it with those who have very little... This would be a wonderful world to live in!!!

:top:

qnbui :
colinoscapee :

I am a Vietnamese boat person from the 70's and I disagree with this comment. I guess we're all allowed our own opinions but to group an entire country doing things the easy way or flouting the law is wrong! People will try to get away with what they are allowed to get away with. It happens in all countries. The western ways aren't always the right way or the only way. Instead of sympathy or empathy, the member went and blame the dead. Yes they are responsible for their own actions but it doesn't mean there's no room for sympathy or empathy. We don't know what they were going through day to day that led them to this desperate action so let's not judge. Their family may have saved all their lives to be able to afford to smuggle one family member to the land of the free to make a better life for themselves and also to help their family back in VN. Or their families went into debt to smuggle the person out of the country. Many Vietnamese risked their lives to find a better future and westerners don't understand their struggles. My sisters and I were lucky back in the 70's where it only took us 2 tries to escape VN and into a refugee camp in Thailand. It took one of my brother 6 times and my other brother 4 times to finally escape VN. It cost my family a lot of money each time for the boat captain and to bribe the prison to get us out if we were caught. Vietnamese people were risking their lives in rickety boats that can sink or being attacked by Thai pirates knowing that boat people bring with them all their valuables. I think people looking to live a better life in a foreign land shouldn't judge other who are looking for the same thing although in different methods.

Maybe you dont agree with it due to the fact that you are more westernised than your countrymen. Ride down any road in VN and watch how the locals drive, its always the easiest and quickest way to do things. I was generalising when I made that statement, I would have presumed people would know that I wasnt referring to 100 percent of the population. Its funny, my wife is VN and she agrees with my opinion.

colinoscapee :

Its funny, my wife is VN and she agrees with my opinion.

As does mine.

Maybe you dont agree with it due to the fact that you are more westernised than your countrymen. Ride down any road in VN and watch how the locals drive, its always the easiest and quickest way to do things. I was generalising when I made that statement, I would have presumed people would know that I wasnt referring to 100 percent of the population. Its funny, my wife is VN and she agrees with my opinion.

But I don't see how driving/riding in VN have to do with people dying in search of a better life? People drives like a**holes here in the states too. The only reason they don't do it more often and kill more people is because there are major financial consequences when they do that, not because they are more willing to follow the rules. If Vietnamese drive/ride like the law requires here in the states, traffic will come to a standstill. It's out of necessity.

qnbui :

But I don't see how driving/riding in VN have to do with people dying in search of a better life? People drives like a**holes here in the states too. The only reason they don't do it more often and kill more people is because there are major financial consequences when they do that, not because they are more willing to follow the rules. If Vietnamese drive/ride like the law requires here in the states, traffic will come to a standstill. It's out of necessity.

Its obvious you missed my example of people doing things the easy way, its all comparative.

Seldom have I seen such asinine comments on this forum.
And if you feel the need to respond, clearly the rock hit.

SteinNebraska :
colinoscapee :

Its funny, my wife is VN and she agrees with my opinion.

As does mine.

As does mine 3.  :)

qnbui :
colinoscapee :

I understand your comments, but in my opinion, you are comparing apples to oranges.  VN in 1975 is not VN 2019.  For example, there were thousands and thousands of VN who worked for the USA and they knew if they and their families stayed in VN, they were going to be killed.  Of course, 99.9999% of any people would do the same.  However, Vietnamese can travel to some countries (e.g., Singapore) without a visa and many do to find work.  It begs the question, why spend thousands of dollars to travel with criminals to violate many laws to enter a country illegally when other options are readily available?  I can take an educated guess, just like the Chinese smugglers, the leaders behind these smuggling routes are VN criminals who lie, cheat and abuse these people.

I think most people feel sorry for these people and wish we could change the way things turn out for a lot of these people seeking a better life.  Instead of focusing and attacking others for their opinions, VN people need to wake up and stand up to the communists that have turned VN into a place that millions are trying to escape, despite the fact the communists push propaganda on the public that VN is heaven and that places like the USA are like living in hell.  I would have my wife opine on this nonsense, but she is Vietnamese and I need not say nothing more.

Based on the latest report from the UK, all 39 people are from Vietnam and 2 people in VN from Ha Tinh Province have been arrested and allegedly have been smuggling VN people for several years.  No names given.

Events like these are all the more tragic because there is no way for these smuggled people to make a legal wage in the UK or anywhere else in the West. The ones who get here safely will end up as slave labour at best.

Someone should tell them to pretend to be Muslims on arrival, they'll have mountains of free shit rained upon them...

Rollingbroak :

We retire in our adopted homeland comfortably, or travel the world when we want to at anytime. Not with meager retirement, one have to abandon your home land to look for cheaper alternative, and hook up with local poor women. Yes, with your skin and meager pension does look superior to the local.

Well said. The percentage of fat broke foreign slobs in Vietnam who think they are somehow superior to the locals is hilarious.

Brick23 :

Events like these are all the more tragic because there is no way for these smuggled people to make a legal wage in the UK or anywhere else in the West. The ones who get here safely will end up as slave labour at best.

Someone should tell them to pretend to be Muslims on arrival, they'll have mountains of free shit rained upon them...

Rollingbroak :

Well said. The percentage of fat broke foreign slobs in Vietnam who think they are somehow superior to the locals is hilarious.

Are you looking in the mirror?

It's rare that I ever see a foreigner, maybe one a week, let alone ever talk to one so at least I don't have to deal with the fat broke slobs that seem to be everywhere (except for D2 apparently). Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I don't hang out in expat areas.

For latecomers, here is a quick thread summary:

- Tragic news article about Vietnam
- Compassionate appeal for Vietnamese victims
- Vietnamese are stupid
- Vietnamese refugees are stupid
- Expats are stupid, should be compassionate
- Western countries suck
- Americans are arrogant
- Expat-me knows more than expat-you
- I am Vietnamese and I disagree
- Vietnamese can't drive
- All commenters are assinine
- Fat broke expats think they are superior to Vietnamese
-
-
- Bhavna - where have you been? - scolds old men  :dumbom:

gobot :

For latecomers, here is a quick thread summary:

- Tragic news article about Vietnam
- Vietnamese are stupid
- Vietnamese refugees are stupid
- Expats are stupid, should be compassionate
- Western countries suck
- Americans are arrogant
- Expat-me knows more than expat-you
- I am Vietnamese and I disagree
- Vietnamese can't drive
- All commenters are assinine
- Fat broke expats think they are superior to Vietnamese
-
-
- Bhavna - where have you been? - scolds old men  :dumbom:

Rarely does a thread stay 100% on topic.

SteinNebraska :

It's rare that I ever see a foreigner, maybe one a week, let alone ever talk to one so at least I don't have to deal with the fat broke slobs that seem to be everywhere (except for D2 apparently). Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I don't hang out in expat areas.

I'm fat but not broke.

Is there a club for me?

Just in relation to the British story. Vietnamese really need to start obeying the laws of their host country. We as expats are forever being told to follow the laws of the land whilst residing in VN. Mass overstays by westerners is never an issue in VN.

Korea