Trip to Fjords by train

Hi there!

Staying in Oslo for a few days I'm planning a trip to Fjords. I'm wondering whether there is a train route to this place. I was readingon this train website that Norway has railway connection almost everywhere but didn't find anything about Fjords.
Would you be so kind to share your experience?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Many years ago, I had the opportunity to travel by train from Andalsnes to Mo I Rana; it happens to run alongside some of the fjords and was an amazing journey, albeit it took about 16 hours.  I just checked Google and there are trains that run from Oslo to the North, but I think Bodo is the furthest north you can get.

One warning, the Norwegian railways run very much like an airline; if you want a seat, you have to book it in advance of the journey.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Travelllller wrote:

Hi there!

Staying in Oslo for a few days I'm planning a trip to Fjords. I'm wondering whether there is a train route to this place. I was readingon this train website that Norway has railway connection almost everywhere but didn't find anything about Fjords.
Would you be so kind to share your experience?

Hello,

If you have enough time maximize your trip from Oslo to Stockholm and from Stockholm to Narvik and back to Oslo from Narvik. I haven't traveled by train from Narvik to Oslo but I can tell you that Stockholm-Narvik journey will you never forget. To make reservations from Stockholm to Narvik here is the site https://www.sj.se/en/home.html#/

there isn't a specific mention of fjord trains because there are a lot of fjordy bits in Norway! The most famous train experience is definitely Flåmsbane (you can google for more information) but IMO you get lots of nice experiences with trains in many parts of the country.

Unfortunately, in the REALLY fjordy bits out by Geiranger and Ålesund, there simply are no trains. I have taken the ride from Oslo to Andalsnes a few times though, and once you're past Lillehammer it's quite pretty, especially the descent into Romsdal. So that's an option too. Plus, anything going out of Bergen is going to be a nice scenic experience (if the weather cooperates).

With only a few days, it might take too much time, but you could take the train to Stavanger or Bergen, both trips are quite beautiful. From there there are fjord cruises that are amazing! You could also fly to either of these cities since you have a shorter stay.