Moving to Debrecen

Hey! im Mariano from argentina and im 25. im currently working at Flowserve Argentina in the payroll department, i have the possibility to move to Flowserve in Debrecen to work on payroll there. i have that adventure spirit and i would love to try the life in hungary. what would u say about debrecen for a 25 years old guy? id love to know about how is the people there? are they open/close mind, or are they super cold people, things like that. thanks so much in advance.

mariano375 wrote:

Hey! im Mariano from argentina and im 25. im currently working at Flowserve Argentina in the payroll department, i have the possibility to move to Flowserve in Debrecen to work on payroll there. i have that adventure spirit and i would love to try the life in hungary. what would u say about debrecen for a 25 years old guy? id love to know about how are the people there? are they open/close mind, or are they super cold people, things like that. thanks so much in advance.

You will probably find it a very different place to Argentina.

Your biggest obstacle is language.  If you can learn Hungarian, you'll have a much easier time and as such, people would seem warmer to you. 

Many Hungarians are not able to converse in another language or are too nervous to even try.  They are worried to look foolish but actually muddling through is more important than anyone's embarrassment over poor language skills.  It could lead to misunderstandings.   Once you have understanding then they (Hungarians) are very nice.

Hungary is not like other countries where people are almost bilingual, trilingual or multilingual.   If you go somewhere like Norway or The Netherlands, you'd find it  pretty much impossible to meet anyone who doesn't speak English to a high level.  Not many speak Spanish - more likely to know German or possibly Italian.

But it's what you make of it.  Debcrecen is not big town like Budapest.  But some people like that smaller town life.  And of course, you can travel around anywhere and see all sorts of things very different to Argentina. 

BTW, you will almost certainly enjoy Romania and it's close by but not as developed.   The language is of romance origins and relatively easy to understand if you know another one like Spanish, French or Italian.  I was able to read some Romanian documents and get the idea pretty quickly looking at diagrams and guessing the meaning of some words using the romance origins. I don't speak Romanian at all but I know French from school and I'm a native English speaker.  Much easier than  Hungarian which is completely different and a bit of an obstacle.  Otherwise Romania also has great and diverse scenery and the beach.

I'd ask the employer to relocate you to one of their offices in western europe. They're moving you halfway across the globe into a low-income country, I bet it's profitable for them...