What are the unacceptable behaviors of Filipinos?

I hear 1 thing that's unacceptable. They always say yes to invitations  :top: . Even if they never had the intention of actually going.  :(

Shaz@FazWaz wrote:

I hear 1 thing that's unacceptable. They always say yes to invitations  :top: . Even if they never had the intention of actually going.  :(

Who are they? Filipinos? As an Aussie I have graciously accepted plenty of invitations, trite mostly but accept to get rid of the perpetrator  with nary an intention of attending. You never experienced that in your home country?

Cheers, Steve.

Even to ask a question like that shows you are totally doomed!

they are always late lol but amazingly never for work

Shaz@FazWaz wrote:

How about inviting, planning and announcing a party that never happens. Common practice in Brazil.

They ate my dog, but it was a chicken killer

robal wrote:
Shaz@FazWaz wrote:

How about inviting, planning and announcing a party that never happens. Common practice in Brazil.

This is an insane way to get rid of a party.  :(

bigpearl wrote:
Shaz@FazWaz wrote:

Who are they? Filipinos? As an Aussie I have graciously accepted plenty of invitations, trite mostly but accept to get rid of the perpetrator  with nary an intention of attending. You never experienced that in your home country?

Cheers, Steve.

Hi Steve,

I'm talking about the Filipinos. I like their attitude of accepting the invitation, so warming.

powerkiter120 wrote:

That's good quality. Never late for work. You should always reach the workplace on time.  :top:

Shaz@FazWaz wrote:
powerkiter120 wrote:

That's good quality. Never late for work. You should always reach the workplace on time.  :top:

But a good excuse to be late for work would/could be "They ate my dog, but it was a chicken killer" (Okieboy)
Being late to an invitation has always been fashionable in most countries, why would the Philippines try to change the status quo? Most times I see the relatives and friends already there and we generally arrive on time or "fashionably" 10 minutes late,,,,,,,,,, and then come the stragglers, more fun in the Philippines for sure.
OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:
Shaz@FazWaz wrote:
powerkiter120 wrote:

But a good excuse to be late for work would/could be "They ate my dog, but it was a chicken killer" (Okieboy)
Being late to an invitation has always been fashionable in most countries, why would the Philippines try to change the status quo? Most times I see the relatives and friends already there and we generally arrive on time or "fashionably" 10 minutes late,,,,,,,,,, and then come the stragglers, more fun in the Philippines for sure.
OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Well said...

Almost always overpromising to please other people is part of the culture. Even for important occasions, weddings and birthdays, it's common for people to be grossly late or not show at all without excuse or apology. So to be late is normal, but there are two types of late: pinoy time is that there's no rush (as many events can and are put off even for an hour or more); indio time is being an hour late or simply not showing. That suggests that the tribal mountain people can be counted on even less, even though they may have a legit reason for it. Seems that hardly anyone gets excited by it. So 'acceptable' behaviours is all about according to what person. What generally is not tolerated in the west is acceptable here.

I often hear of 'cultural differences' as an excuse for rude behaviour. Surely if someone has gone to the trouble of preparing a lavish barbecue for example it would be a common courtesy to attend within a reasonable timeframe. Ironically whenever I attend Filipino functions in my home city of Bath Filipino's are usually first to arrive if only because of free food. I guarantee that if you offer them a 100 Peso note for attending they will be prompt. Money talks, particularly in the Philippines. Plus ca change.

Interesting.

It's simple, put a time limit on the food and alcohol. Food and free drinks served from 4 til 4:30, they'll show up on time. Haha

Tim_L wrote:

It's simple, put a time limit on the food and alcohol. Food and free drinks served from 4 til 4:30, they'll show up on time. Haha

Or you can say: The first five people to show up can have the first shot at bringing home extra food to their heart´s desire.  :D