Living Permit (Iqama) for Afghans in KSA

I am an Afghan by nationality. Born in Pakistan and brought up in the UAE. Recently I moved to Jeddah from Dubai after I got married. We were told that Afghans are banned from getting a residency in KSA. Is that true? I had to come on a family visit visa but I cannot continue like this. I am a qualified ESL instructor with considerable experience in the UAE. If I work at a university, can I get a work visa. Please advise.

Rules are not officially announced and keep changing.  However, your nationality has problems getting visas literally everywhere in the GCC.   Sometimes they allow for it, other times they don't.  No way to know and as I said, what's true today could change tomorrow.

Thank you for your response. I have an Afghan friend who said it's always been this way for Afghans in KSA cuz the two governments don't have any contracts. I have lived almost all my life in the UAE - over 2 decades - with no issues at all. I believe the same is true for most other GCC countries. Is there a place I can call and ask about this problem and whether it may change in the future or there's no hope for me to live in this country?

I think you need to understand a few facts:

1) These kind of restrictions are NEVER admitted to or published or whatever.  So no, there is NO place you can call and ask.  As an example, Pakistani's were banned in Bahrain for almost a year and no one admitted it; not the Bahrain government nor the Pakistan Embassy
2) In the GCC, Afghans face problems everywhere.  The most relaxed for Afghans is UAE and Oman (relaxed doesn't mean that 100% of visas go through.  It just means that there is a chance to get a visa).  And even in the UAE, it is really only Dubai where it is a bit relaxed.  A lot of Afghans get rejected for visas in AD
3) If it is a long standing policy of KSA; don't expect it to change anytime soon

The maximum you can do is try to find a job and have an employer try to get a work visa for you.  And then see what happens.  You never know.