Organic products in Sweden

Hello everyone,

As a consumer in Sweden, you may seek to maintain a healthy lifestyle by choosing mostly organic products. If you do favour such products, we would like to know more about your consumption habits.

Is it easy to find organic products in Sweden (cosmetics, food, etc.)? Where can we find them?

Are organic products more or less expensive than in your country of origin? What average monthly budget do you spend on them?

Can we rely on labels on organic products in Sweden? Are the origins of the products verified by an organization?

Are organic products part of Swedish culture? Have you ever tried to make your own organic products (candles, toothpaste, gardening, food)?

In your opinion, is the consumption of organic products only a fad or does it have real benefits on one's health?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Is it easy to find organic products in Sweden (cosmetics, food, etc.)? Where can we find them?

Very easy and every where.

Are organic products more or less expensive than in your country of origin? What average monthly budget do you spend on them?

I don't know exactly since I haven't been to my country of origin for long time but there were many organic products there although they didn't even know it and they rather preferred to by so called "imported quality" so organic products were very cheap back then but in Sweden it's a trend so it's more expensive than ordinary products. I personally don't spend money on organic products and I explain later why.

Can we rely on labels on organic products in Sweden? Are the origins of the products verified by an organization?

Normally Sweden has many quality controls before a product release to the consumer and labels are marked after controls and according to the authorities organic products are specially checked by different organizations and also comes with their logo which also is another reason why organic products are expensive, but even though if a label found to be not 100% correct after all, a consumer can contact this authority  https://www.konsumentverket.se/language … -engelska/

Last two questions will be answered later...

Are organic products part of Swedish culture? Have you ever tried to make your own organic products (candles, toothpaste, gardening, food)?

Organic lifestyle had been normal in Sweden up until beginning of the 1900s, meaning most of people had lived a self sufficient farm living kind of a life. Most of their needs for everyday life they had produced by themselves, small scale farming for home needs with natural pest controlling methods and through becoming one with the nature. There is an old book calls "Bondepraktiken" (The manual of self sufficient farm life). In that book describes how and when to do different kind of farming, fishing, hunting, collecting what nature gives for free e.g berries, mushrooms etc. And how to get rid of or prevent in advance trouble making living organisms totally naturally without using any man made products (there were not any man made products back then)       

But eventually Sweden has become an industriell country in turn everything has changed. It's a very rich country of course but now when it comes to more than 60% of food and most of everyday life's needs Sweden depends on what other countries produce. If a power outage is longer than a week in the whole country, in the beginning of februari more than 80% of Swedish population will die out eventually before end of the month by freezing, lack of food and from the chaos that makes. That's the hard truth of Swedish organic lifestyle. People are so ignorant and simply follow the trend and go after those organic labels without having a background knowledge about what it's all about.

But there is also a growing population from every kind of ethnicity and age groups which have started to live organic, self sufficient farm living kind of a life, a lifestyle that Englishman John Seymour describes in his book "The fat of the land". For that matter the book has influenced and use as a modern type of manual, the book was translated to Swedish two times and latest translation was adjusted to Swedish 4 season climate and crop zones.

Personally I have always wanted to escape from treadmill and finally I could (Thanks to the G-D) buy more than 200 years old primitiv farmhouse for three years ago to launch an organic lifestyle, slowly but surely I'm on my way towards it and by the time next year this time I will be more than 50% organic and self sufficient as most of the Swedish population were before their industriell success.

I think this post also answers the last question. Thank you Bhavna for asking these questions, I followed replies from around the world and learned one or two things thanks to some serious fellow members.