Organic products in Malaysia

Hello everyone,

As a consumer in Malaysia, you may seek to maintain a healthy lifestyle by choosing mostly organic products. If you do favour such products, we would like to know more about your consumption habits.

Is it easy to find organic products in Malaysia (cosmetics, food, etc.)? Where can we find them?

Are organic products more or less expensive than in your country of origin? What average monthly budget do you spend on them?

Can we rely on labels on organic products in Malaysia? Are the origins of the products verified by an organization?

Are organic products part of Malaysian culture? Have you ever tried to make your own organic products (candles, toothpaste, gardening, food)?

In your opinion, is the consumption of organic products only a fad or does it have real benefits on one's health?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

There is a faction or segment of the population that heavily relies on organic products as part of daily life but finding the real thing is a problem because the origins and sellers are questionable. The actual problem is that there are sellers who say something is organic, and hence a higher price, but are unable to prove it, relying instead of the popularity of the word to do the selling.  At a morning market, I asked a seller of organic vegetables about the growing methods. Among the questions, do you use pesticides? Answer--of course, we have to, so many insects in Malaysia! I started laughing and walked off. That said, Malaysians dont ask hard questions which leads me to think that if they see the word, the product must be good. Unfortunately, the word is so common its a cliche and hence not much scrutiny by consumers. Govt knows what organic means but how much they enforce the truth, who knows.

Jusco and Tesco have foods marketed as organic and there are shops specializing in organic goods. Just google. Previously in KL, there were organic clubs in which sincere people knew what was real or fake. Given so much fakery in Asia, i couldnt say whats truly organic unless I grew the thing myself.

I agree with the above comments. If you are buying from less than large reputable supermarket chains, then how to know if the veggies really are organic.

For me, just eating vegetables regularly is already a healthy way of life whether they are organic or not. I do not drink and I do not smoke, so I hope i am already on the right path.