Organic products in Kenya

Hello everyone,

As a consumer in Kenya, you may seek to maintain a healthy lifestyle by choosing mostly organic products. If you do favour such products, we would like to know more about your consumption habits.

Is it easy to find organic products in Kenya (cosmetics, food, etc.)? Where can we find them?

Are organic products more or less expensive than in your country of origin? What average monthly budget do you spend on them?

Can we rely on labels on organic products in Kenya? Are the origins of the products verified by an organization?

Are organic products part of Kenyan culture? Have you ever tried to make your own organic products (candles, toothpaste, gardening, food)?

In your opinion, is the consumption of organic products only a fad or does it have real benefits on one's health?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

I dont believe in Organic food in Kenya, even in Austria it is hard to find a true Farmer.

I would really like to see responses to this question about the availability of organic food.
I do believe in it and intend to settle in Kenya next year, so it would be very useful to know.

Hi..

There is pretty much organic  food every where in Kenya. The good thing is that most farmers are still in  organic farming.

Regards

Hi, there's an organic farmers market in Nairobi every Saturday and Sunday. The following is their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/OFMNairobi/

Well I believe in organic products, they are really beneficial to health in so many ways.

I believe anything which is locally grown wuth 100 kms is better than any other imported products.

Prefer to choose from local markets instead of super markets. I feel Kenyan products are good and trust worthy.

Otherwise whom you believe, see how Kenyans are surviving in a better way, so I see no reason for mistrusting Kenyans.

Do your research! There are many who claim to produce organic but in fact are just con artists.  Get to know your local producer and develop a relationship as a customer. Deal with small growers and you will get better prices too.

Have a look at Organic Farmers market, they have regular markets and deal with organic food in Kenya. They can even link you with vendors who sell organic products. I know of a farm selling organic food as i have been there too. In Kenya its easy to find organic food. Kenya is one of the countries that have no regulations on the pesticides being used when farming and therefore there are many pesticides being sold/used which are banned in other countries. Its a big concern as many are not aware about it.

Be careful, as food claiming to be organic may not be - growers/traders will be quick to recognise the value in selling something as organic, as well as being able to charge more for it.

I don't know how much influence KEBS (bureau of standards) have in terms of food.

Widespread use of pesticides is an issue in Kenya, including those banned elsewhere and of course these enter the food chain.  Vegetables grown on sewage outflows is another quite common practice.  Very difficult to ascertain the origin of your food and how it has been grown!