Organic products in Colombia

Hello everyone,

As a consumer in Colombia, you may seek to maintain a healthy lifestyle by choosing mostly organic products. If you do favour such products, we would like to know more about your consumption habits.

Is it easy to find organic products in Colombia (cosmetics, food, etc.)? Where can we find them?

Are organic products more or less expensive than in your country of origin? What average monthly budget do you spend on them?

Can we rely on labels on organic products in Colombia? Are the origins of the products verified by an organization?

Are organic products part of Colombian culture? Have you ever tried to make your own organic products (candles, toothpaste, gardening, food)?

In your opinion, is the consumption of organic products only a fad or does it have real benefits on one's health?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Bhavna -  You have really good questions about the availability of truly Organic Products in Colombia.  I had the same questions two years ago when I moved to the Antioquia Province in the fertile Andes Mountains South of Medellin.   No reason not to grow and raise animals, vegetables and fruit to be 100% Organic other than most Colombian Natives are unaware of the difference and could not afford to pay more for certified organic anyway.  Hopefully, we will soon clarify the issue of Commercial vs. Organic Gardening and offer affordable alternatives by providing nutritious food ... in abundance.  I have experience in Aquaponic Farming and the Rescue of 'Street Kids' in the States and plan to combine the two here as we Rescue,  Rehabilitate and Restore both abandoned Rock Quarries and the many homeless youth and refugees living on the streets of your cities.  Combine the two to feed local Multitudes Natural Healing plant products from the Earth ... actually water fertilized by fish. Then add some 'Range Raised Chickens for high protein Meat and Eggs,  Honey Bees to pollinate the crops and yield highly nutritious Honey, Grapes, and Berries for Jams, juices, & wine, etc., etc. the list goes on. This is how I was raised and now want to share it with my Colombian Family.   Look for Evergreen Manna Farms to soon emerge introducing the "3Rs ... Rescue, Rehab, Restore" and our related "Wellness Centers".  I'm 78 and 'growing stronger' via. diet, exercise, & peaceful rest. 

Stay Tuned ... 'Farmer Fred' from Texas

Former hydroponic farmer here, heading to Colombia, hopefully in January.  Please keep us posted on your venture!

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Adriana -  I don't mind sharing my email address if you want to establish direct contact.  Healthy, Natural Living and our Rescue Mission are too important not to address and implement solutions.  We are looking to make this an international movement centered on "Wellness" using "Rescue" as our unifying theme. 
God Bless,
Fred Howard

Yes, lets keep in contact, for sure.  If I recall, about a month or so back there was an expat hydroponic farmer on one of the Facebook expat groups, looking for land near Medellin.  At first I thought it might be you, but don't think he was into aquaponics.  Ironically, I got interested in hydroponics through aquaponics, but decided for practical reasons to focus on the plant side of things.  Still fully support the concept.

Ironically, I was introduced to 'Hydro-P' first by a leader in the industry in Canada ...  Dr. Ben.  Because of my research into survivability, I chose to go with Aquaponics as it is somewhat more self-sustainable and independent from the Outside World (52 Nutrients to support various grow regimens in the Hydroponic environment).  My concept survives worst-case scenarios i.e.  No Electricity, indefinitely.   We will make renewable energy from BioMass Conversion to support operations. It will not solve World Distribution challenges for materials and supplies. I may have an answer to EMP Events also. 
email ***

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct