Organic products in Cambodia

Hello everyone,

As a consumer in Cambodia, you may seek to maintain a healthy lifestyle by choosing mostly organic products. If you do favour such products, we would like to know more about your consumption habits.

Is it easy to find organic products in Cambodia (cosmetics, food, etc.)? Where can we find them?

Are organic products more or less expensive than in your country of origin? What average monthly budget do you spend on them?

Can we rely on labels on organic products in Cambodia? Are the origins of the products verified by an organization?

Are organic products part of Cambodian culture? Have you ever tried to make your own organic products (candles, toothpaste, gardening, food)?

In your opinion, is the consumption of organic products only a fad or does it have real benefits on one's health?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Hello Bhavna.

Being a strong user of health food I'm always looking for health food stores.

Luckily I live in PP and there is a wide selection of stores that sell organic food products.

Some shops sell only organic vegetables and fruits (Green-O farm), one shop sells only pantry products (La Vie Claire). Even the shopping mall Aeon has a dedicated organic section.

The largest (3 shops if I'm well) is Natural Garden. They sell all, vegetables, fruits, herbs, but also spices, nuts, meats and eggs from certified farms.
They grow part of it at their own farm in Sihanoukville province but also are stocked by other organic producers like Organic Farm, who has received EU certification on 58 products (as per 2017).

They all are members of the Cambodia Organic Agricultural Association (COrAA), so it's a well-organized group of groceries.

I also have also a supplier in Kep, for dried fruits, nuts and more.

So to sum it up, I'm completely happy with the availability of organic health food.

PS I don't know about cosmetics, I don't use them, looking good anyway :D

Cheers

Joe

I've been a vegetarian eating organic food for many years. I must admit it is quite difficult to find organic products in Siem Reap.

We buy at the local farmers that boast pesticide and chemical fertilizer free vegetables and fruit, and we sometimes manage to find a couple of things like jam, lentils, kidney beans, chocolate, peanut butter, sometimes flour or pasta or couscous, and almond milk, rice milk, oats milk and cow milk, at the major grocery store in town. Unfortunately we have been unable to find any organic dairy product apart from milk, anywhere or bread.

I doubt that there is any organization controlling what locals call organic, but we buy whatever we can find in the grocery stores from France or the States.

Our budget for organic food will depend on whatever we find: $7 or $8 per week for veggies/fruit for 2 people, and around $10 per week for the rest. Whatever we find in the grocery stores is way more expensive than in the Caribbean where life is much more expensive than in the States or Europe,

The attractive part about eating organic and vegetarian food is that there is a great choice of organic, vegan and vegetarian restaurants in Siem Reap to satisfy our more selective food requirements.

Whatever people believe regarding organic food, I can only say that we are never sick, never use meds, and have a great immune system despite the fact that we are between 60 and 70 years old.

Thank you for posting about this important subject.

Hi Joe, thanks for your insights regarding organic products in Cambodia, very much appreciated. May I know where is  your dry food and nuts retailer in Kep? I d be interested into these and other organic products they have. Thanks a lot!

Hello.

Sent you a PM.

Cheers.

Joe

If your in a rural area you can pick weeds in an uncultivated area as a do.
Many Weed's are edible such as ginsing leaves ivy gourd

Hi Joe,
           could you please send me contact info for the organic supplier in Kep. Not living in PP, I find it difficult to find organic products.
Thanks, Bill.